Arlin Drabek, an unlikely Hero

Started by Dredi, January 07, 2018, 04:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dredi

Well! That was short lived!

Holy moley, what a ride though.

Arlin died tonight being horribly crushed by a huge mutant behemoth spider, which is exactly the epic way he should have gone.

The character turned out admittedly very different to how I initially envisioned it, quite greatly shaped by the world and the people around him.
The concept of the character from the offset was fairly straight forward, be intimidating - but be fair. Drum up an image surrounding himself in the eyes of his enemies of someone that should be feared by making an example out of people who crossed him.

What he didn't expect however, was to make a bloody example out of someone - and be heralded as a hero for it - something he was initially deeply uncomfortable with.

The character lasted a little over a week, and died exactly one time - which unfortunately turned out to be the only one needed - and was, to my elation, the only character I've ever managed to hit level 9, just an hour or so before he kicked the proverbial bucket.

Anyway, an exert from the PCN page - and unfortunately only 2 screenshots (I've got a few more but they're spoilery)

Feats:
Luck of Heroes
Weapon Focus (Great-sword)
Weapon Specialization (Great-sword)
Disarm
Improved Disarm
Skill Focus (Heal)
Great Fortitude
Knockdown
Improved Crit (Greatsword)
Iron Will

Brief character history: A lay-sword of Hoar, Arlin was always zealous in his pursuit of what he saw as justice to a rather extreme degree. When the darkness came and chaos came he wound up in Crows bluff, a port town around the sea of fallen stars with no small adventuring population before the darkness fell. Arlin would end up being a blade in service of the cities mayor a slimy human by the name of Argent Synneria in a harsh attempt to keep the peace as the world fell apart around them, but when the mayor would sell out the cities defenders for his own, selfish means Arlin would set out as the city burned in his pursuit of him, seeing red with rage he would not rest until he saw him dead. Unfortunately, while he tracked him for some time the scent would eventually go cold and only a portal to sanctuary would remain. Low on resources and with little other choice he has now found himself in sanctuary and a whole host of sinners who would see his blade.

Character brief: Arlin's character is based around a very "Dark Knight" concept - a man who relies heavily in instilling fear of reprisal as a primary method of keeping the peace, when he is called upon to enforce this justice he is violent and to an extent showy. Cuts would be made to instill bleeding in the target to make sure that the people he would fight are killed in the most violent and gruesome of a manner as possible and would not shy away from desecrating a body once it is already dead to further this means. He is more focused on the punishment of the guilty than he is saving the innocent, in a hostage situation he would make it clear he is only here to punish the perpetrators, rather than saving the target and may have to be heavily dissuaded from taking action to this nature.

To this end, Arlin is heavily focused on gaining power - in whatever form it should take - and fame to further his violent, deadly image and is not beyond being perceived as the bad guy if it furthers his plans.

The Dead Wolf

And Goodbye

Random_White_Guy

To quote Ken Wantanabe from the Last Samurai

"I enjoy our comber-sations"
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

zDark Shadowz

[Raises a bottle of Victory Bitter Beer.] To Arlin Wolfsbane!

Rookie

Really enjoyed the short RP our PCs had.  I was looking forward to what was going to become of Arlin.

MessengerGirl

I never got to see Arlin's bad side, having mostly encountered him in the Grotto or the House of Knowledge.  I appreciated his gallant stands against both the wolf and the Pride.

Silvermoon_Dervish

No Doombringer ever reaches his thirtieth year. Very nice PC.
Yip yip