Some OOC Thoughts about Ringrunning

Started by Howlando, February 04, 2019, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XzarWizrobe

Getting to 94 isn't common knowledge in the slightest.

I'd echo having an NPC who's obviously cursed in some manner for spoiling what is to be found in another ring. Having nearby NPCs speak about him and his state (whatever that may be) and just really hammer in the whole "DON'T TALK ABOUT OTHER RINGS!"

Yamo B. There

Quote from: I love cats on February 05, 2019, 06:00:27 PM
Right now my character knows how to get to ring 95 purerly because someone lead them to quest smash.  There was no puzzle solving/figuring it out.
I'm not sure what you expect the alternative is.
"Okay, Jeffiwold, you can come with us to slay lizards. But now that we've reached 96, you need to turn around, close your eyes, and count to 60. We'll wait for you in 95 for half an hour, see if you can figure it out."
Every PC's visit to a new ring can't be with similarly new PCs or players. There will need to be "hangers-on" if the server's going to survive and have a healthy questing and exploration population later in its lifespan. I don't think "following someone through 96" is what DMs mean when they say, "Don't give out the secrets of the rings." I would interpret that as someone drawing a map, writing down what to do, explaining to random people in Ticker Square the whole process of getting a 94 key, and so on.

Aethereal

Quote from: Yamo B. There on February 07, 2019, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: I love cats on February 05, 2019, 06:00:27 PM
Right now my character knows how to get to ring 95 purerly because someone lead them to quest smash.  There was no puzzle solving/figuring it out.
I'm not sure what you expect the alternative is.
"Okay, Jeffiwold, you can come with us to slay lizards. But now that we've reached 96, you need to turn around, close your eyes, and count to 60. We'll wait for you in 95 for half an hour, see if you can figure it out."
Every PC's visit to a new ring can't be with similarly new PCs or players. There will need to be "hangers-on" if the server's going to survive and have a healthy questing and exploration population later in its lifespan. I don't think "following someone through 96" is what DMs mean when they say, "Don't give out the secrets of the rings." I would interpret that as someone drawing a map, writing down what to do, explaining to random people in Ticker Square the whole process of getting a 94 key, and so on.
That's why there's a bit more slack when it comes to the first few immediate rings after 99:

Quote from: Howlando on February 04, 2019, 09:06:52 PMI also want to clarify, that I don't mind if a degree is aid is offered to PCs for Rings 100-95, but that the experience of getting a Key to get past Ring 95 into Ring 94 is intended as quite a major challenge and that you must absolutely not discuss  ooc anything beyond there.

In comparison to say EFU:A/EFU:M, I believe reaching Ring 95 is equivalent to a trek to the Forgotten Forest/Horn of Ymph from Nebezzdos. So it represents areas/zones which players can and should be able to get to without requiring too much secret knowledge, but certainly not all in one day if attempted solo from scratch (exception being those crazy people roaming dangerous places at level 2 and somehow avoiding malar panthers etc). Whereas Ring 94 onwards may be more like having discovered entrance into the Way or some secrets of the Ilythiiri ruins from Nebezzdos/Mistlocke. Not sure on exact comparisons here, my examples may be off. The idea from what I understand is that most of the scripted quest content can be accessed between rings 100-95, as to answer your question regarding alternative. It seems to be designed with player experience in mind!
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

Yamo B. There

What's the perception of City-dwellers as the Hound and secret-sharing relates to the Planes / Seams? Would discussing things about the Seams be considered "Hound bait" the same way puzzles in the Rings are?

Ironside

The ideas discussed here have undergone major revision and clarification will be forthcoming.

The Old Hack

I just wanted to say that as a comparatively late arrival to this chapter I have been very pleased with the level of secrecy surrounding the deeper rings shown by other players. I did NOT know how to master Ring 95 until after I had been there a few times and the first time I attempted the challenge my group got brutally roflstomped. Also, and here I particularly thank the player of Velastra Quarterdragon, I was left to master the maze of 96 entirely on my own. That was incredibly frustrating -- and after I finally solved it, incredibly satisfying. I literally got bit by the Ringrunning bug at that point. I want to solve as many of these darn rings as I can.

I am very pleased with this chapter as a whole so far. After a near decade of ever deepening doom and gloom, something a bit more lighthearted has come as a huge relief. My thanks to both staff and the players here. :)

SovietGrowlithe

I will echo what The Old Hack stated. I was somewhat late to the jump but managed to get to ninety two on one of my characters and the whole way through it was a secret. No one talks about ninety five's secrets because they fear (As the well should.) the repercussions of it.  It's an exciting challenge and it really helps form a bond between characters and add an extreme level of difficulty. I know ninety two isn't 'deep' and the challenge there has bested me twice now but even if I don't make it to ninety one with my new character. The ring running experience, it's secrecy, it's rewards, its bragging rights makes it worth it.

A lot of suggestions have been tossed in and I am sure plenty of them have been implemented and the like.  One thing I've found is that some folks do not want to help others who've not cleared the challenge. Stating it's against the King's Law. Helping in a fight and 'telling' someone the answer is different. I think there should be some clarification on that. Cause I did my damnedest to help folks in Ninety Five for instance even though I'd already been through it. Just being a shield/body to help protect and kill things. I don't think constitutes as a violation of the King's Law.

I would also agree that a few more npc's who're punished for spilling the secrets of the rings is great!
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - Joseph Stalin

Bobbybrown

So far breaking the kings law seems to more constitute explaining how to beat a challenge, or outright allowing people to skip through rings they have yet to beat, fighting alongside them through a challenge is not in violation however, otherwise doing a certain quest in 98 over and over would be a problem.

Howlando

Some clarifications:

- You may say you've been to a particular Ring or been somewhere, just please do not describe technical details specific to solving rings and in general keep to the principle of preserving the mystery of the Rings for future generations as much as possible.

- As with scripted quests, there is a degree of OOC dancing around that content in EFU is limited. So even when discussing certain challenges specific to a Ring with those who have done similarly be vague and generic about specifics like names, etc. Just like in past chapters you wouldn't say "yeah I did my daily raid of Fort Iron Dread IV" but rather "I was attacking some goblins earlier" you wouldn't say "Yeah I also killed Bob the Lizard King" but rather "I found some treasure from a lizard king."

- There is no IC superstition about content in Seams, but again please adhere to the OOC "vagueness" about the fact that there are only limited amounts of Seam content to find.

The overarching principle is, to the extent that it is possible, keep EFU fresh and awesome for new players.

The Royal Groat

I can but add that thus far, it has been nothing short of an incredible ride. A unique experience for sure, and one that has been challenging, rewarding and fun.

If I can give an advice, it is to start up the ringrunning crew organically. Spend time to find PCs that your PC clicks with, that you enjoy RPing and spending time with. The connections your PC make (and, which you will inevitably make, because OOC scheduling/communication is necessary - nature of the beast) will be the absolute best part. Basically, ringrunning is much, much more fun if you do it with a diverse, disparate group of PCs that are interesting to interact and RP with.

Sometimes, there are bugs, but DMs have been incredibly helpful with personally tending to them and deserve huge kudos for what I imagine is bit of a thankless chore.

I think the curse as it is is in a fine place. Getting to 95 is basically normal and will be even more normal with time. To go beyond that is when a PC has to put in the effort to ask about, and find out more about, and make alliances towards. Much of it is shrouded in mystery, and PCs are reluctant to talk about the Rings beyond.