EFU:R Gossip, Major Events, and Rumors (IC Knowledge)

Started by Howlando, July 14, 2013, 11:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gippy

Many who have made camp around the dark lake these last couple darks have reported a singular dream. They stand at the gates of ysinode, their weapon dripping blue ichor, while they stand atop the defeated Monument of Hubris looking down upon a cowering Illithid. The night serpent does not touch this dream, and all who have shared it report that it was curiously pleasent.

Tala

::[ Mirtul 25th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

Over the last few days, travelers and scouts report of odd occurrences and behaviors of the creatures dwelling near Sanctuary, and across the Dark Lake.

In the crossroads, there have been more and more skirmishes between goblins and kobolds, the victors of each one desperately search for things on the corpses of the losers. Some creatures were spotted standing above a cliff for a while, only to jump to their doom a few moments later. Remains of rock and earth elementals scatter the Underdark, all magic is devoid from them.

Sailors and pirates of the Dark Lake report of no Kuo-Toa priests and whips can be spotted on Loblobliiiblop, with rumors spreading of them locking themselves inside the temple. The Duergars of Mutulakt have stopped much of their trade over the Dark Lake, instead focusing on fortifying their gates and defenses, banishing any visitors to their city.

The final oddity has transpired last dark, as the Underdark was shaken violently, rock slides and earthquakes torment those who dwell within. Many across the Underdark have found their doom, falling through the cracks in the earth, or smashed by the rock slides. In Sanctuary, old buildings have crumbled to dust.

As sudden as the forces of nature came, they have stopped as well, with the ground and rocks feel stable, yet odd to touch, as if something was missing from them.

The Scriveners of Doom have revealed new names have been marked off in their list of the gods.

Baphomet, Blibdoolpoolp, Diirinka, Great Mother, Hlal, Hruggek, Ilsensine, Kurtulmak, Laogzed, Maglubiyet, Orcus, Pazrael, Sekolah, Vaprak, Psilofyr

Laduguer, Deep Duerra, Kiaransalee, Selvetarm, Vhaeraun

Garguth, Hoar, Sebek, Velsharoon, Grumbar, Talona

The scholars of the Blue Mantle of the House of Knowledge tell to any who wishes to listen (and at times, even if they don't), how the new names mostly belong to gods of the Underdark and the creatures that dwell within, and it is a direct consequence of many of their relics being destroyed or stolen during Glademore's Folly, leaving them weakened, and an easy prey by the Night Serpent.[/i]

The Samophlange

::[ Mirtul 28th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

Onlookers were shocked to see the famed Red Reaper, Agent Rykas Vaelkarn, return to the city looking rather haggard from a recent battle. Though rumors began to blossom, it did not take long for the truth of what had happened to reach the city. Carried in from a trader's lips it rans through the populace, spreading between tent-dwellers and in hushed whispers in the Rest:

Dhimani Ranch had fallen.

Where only a day before stood the monument to the Tower's industry, churning the energy of the natural cavern to fuel their machines, now sat a smoldering heap of wreckage watched over only by the myconid.  The ecstatic shroom-men were quick to speak of their freedom at the hands of the gentle and wise Spuffisthin, and his several human companions. Though initially it is unclear who could accomplish such a task, the answer soon follows as the bounties of the "Seeker" Alan Harcourt and the Pactholder Ikran are updated, joined by several new accomplices...

Tala

::[ Kythorn 5th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

This dark, a large pile of corpses filled the Barbican in an instant, shortly after a mysterious Pale Box appeared there. It is said the corpses were enthralled people of faith and holy warriors of recently captured six bases and temples on the Surface, each base devoted to a different god.

Knights can be seen throwing away their symbols and vows, some retired to the Grotto, while others offered their services as swords for hire. Gamblers complain and whine their luck has ran out, leaving their tables in rage.

The cold winds around the Underdark started to grow weaker, as the Ice caverns at the Windy Canyon start to drip and melt.  Many sparks of light around the Underdark faded away, the Underdark becoming darker than ever. And the magic across the Underdark has become even more unstable, almost as if there are no rules or laws that bind it to any sense...

After the Scriveners have carried the many corpses from the Barbican to the Mausoleum, six more names were crossed off from their list of the gods...

QuoteAzuth, Set, Tyche, Auril, Selune, Red Knight

Howlando

:[ Kythorn 7th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

Rumors spread like wild of a cataclysmic battle deep in the Underdark in which the mysterious and oft-rumored of "Holy Fount of the Sacrosanct Waters" was invaded by none other than Druviax the Unquenchable, the sire of local quasit-nuissance Dingledar. 

Although many of the bravest of Sanctuary rose up in the defense of the Fount, they could not stop its thirsty rampage until one of the Fount's keepers - Karl Brandt - submerged himself into the waters, sacrificing his life.  In response to this act of sacrifice, The Waters of the Fount rose up and met the Demon Lord in titanic conquest, eventually destroying it - Druviax the Unquenchable's thirst was quenched at last.

And yet the Fount's secret location was fully revealed to all the Underdark's many dark powers. Perhaps all to its aware of its new vulnerability, the Waters of the Fount then traveled from the battlefield to Sanctuary itself in order to gather those who had the greatest need.

Led by Keeper Carmen Aquius, a pilgrimage of Sanctuary's most vulnerable people traveled from Starag's rest to the Fount's hidden shrine. It was there that the Fount, and all who crowded into its shrine to receive shelter, abruptly disappeared.

As to where it went, none could say.

Howlando

::[ Flamerule 6th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

Rumors spread of a raid deep into the Lowerdark where adventurers attacked a caravan of the Dread carrying large quantities of supplies. After a difficult battle, the dread defenders were slain and many prizes taken.

According to some, a survivor - a human named Jonathon - was found locked in a box. Supposedly, this "Jonathon" was a prisoner being studied by the Dread for seemingly being unable to be enthralled. Jonathon was brought back to the Spellguard, and now remains as a "guest" of Animator Dhimani himself.

Also discovered in the caravan was a large satchel of documents relating to a place called the Gemgrind Mines, which is supposedly some kind of Dread mining operation on the surface where baublium itself was being extracted. For what purpose the Dread would need such quantities of baublium, it is unknown.

Given Sanctuary's desperate need for baublium, it is certain that the news of this mine will be of great interest to the formidable Animator Dhimani.

Howlando

::[ Flamerule 11th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

Two sendings...

Spellguard Broadcast : Senior Animator Dhimani. By request of the Spellguard Commander, you are asked to return to the Serena Tower at your earliest possible convenience.

Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by Animator Basian Dhimani : This is Dhimani speaking. I will be delivering my little speech in one hour`s time. [a pause] I`ll report in to explain everything immediately afterwards, Commander.

Howlando

Animator Dhimani delivered his speech:

Quote"People of Sanctuary.

Few of you know me. Until now, this has always been to my advantage. I don't like most people. They are soft, incompetent, and stupid. Most of you reek and I find you extremely unpleasant to look at. However, circumstances are such that it is time we must become formally acquainted.

I came to the Sanctuary-that-was as a grubby nobody, just like most of you. Unlike most of you, I have found this place to be an extremely pleasing place to live. The Machinery that surrounds us has been a magnificent puzzle; to master the art of mechanistic-engineering and forge new pathways of learning has been genuinely the joy of my life.

From the start my genius has not been fully appreciated. I don't like ass-kissing, I don't like being nice to idiots, and I don't like wasting time. It took some time for the Spellguard to grow to fully undertand the talents I offered. But in time, after some gentle persuasion....

[his eyelid twitches]

... they did. I achieved rank and prominence, but such was irrelevant. What was more important is that I received the resources I required. Even during the fall of Sanctuary-that-was, I had a workshop and the everything I needed. And in return for being given what I asked for; I agreed to labor - unceasingly - on behalf of the Spellguard and through extension for the benefit of the people of Sanctuary.

It was I that reactivated the defensive illusory shields and wards that protected our Sanctuary. It was I that discovered the dhimanium refining process. It was I that designed the gas bombs that rid the ruins of the Chosen. It was I that built the animatronic weaponry that allowed the Spellguard to crush the Crystal fanatic cult. It was I that designed, built, and constructed an army of perfect loyal Animatrons that remains underutilized and under appreciated.

I have never craved credit, accolades, prestige, material reward, or important ranking. It was the joy of the work that was always the source of my own animation.

Yet here we are. The dhimanium reserves, once filled to the bursting with the abundance of dhimanium found in the Ruby Grotto, grown short. The energy acquired from the colonization of the Dhimani Mushroom Plantation is gone.

Sanctuary's situation is far more grave than any of you realize, and yet the Spellguard Commander grows ever more focused on the glittering foolish lights of Final Sanctuary.

Final Sanctuary has been an amusing experiment, but for too long has my genius been wasted on introducing new follies to amuse and placate the fat and rich!

[he takes a few ragged breaths, regaining his composure]

Information stolen from the Dread have revealed that they have a dhimanium mine of their own, far on the surface but within range of our Mythallar Portal device. To what end are they mining the material? I do not know.

I have begged and pleaded with the Commander for permission to muster Sanctuary's animatronic and human armies to conquer this mine. The Commander has informed me that it is far too risky a proposition; that to send forth all of our strength in such a risky mission would endanger our Sanctuary, would antagonize the Dread that seems content to mostly ignore us, and that would threaten the security of Final Sanctuary....

[the man's face grimaces horribly, as he grits his teeth]

The Commander of the Spellguard sees fit to continue to rely upon me in maintaining this place, but no longer do I receive the resources that I require.

The Commander of the Spellguard is weak, foolish, and lacks a vision for the future.

I, Basian Dhimani, was not born to be a grease-faced maintenance monkey.

I, Basian Dhimani, have HAD ENOUGH.

PEOPLE OF SANCTUARY.

I HAVE BEEN PREPARING FOR THIS MOMENT!

THE TIME IS NOW!

I, ANIMATOR BASIAN DHIMANI, DECLARE MYSELF FIRST CITIZEN OF SANCTUARY!

JOIN ME IN TURNING AGAINST FINAL SANCTUARY

JOIN ME IN OVERTHROWING SPELLGUARD COMMANDER THERVION! LET US HURL HER FROM THE TOWER!

FOLLOW ME AND WE WILL HIDE NO LONGER.

FOLLOW ME AND WE WILL DESTROY OUR ENEMIES.

FOLLOW ME INTO A NEW AGE!

Howlando

What followed has been one of the most extraordinary and momentous days of Sanctuary's long history.

With the speech concluded, an order from the Spellguard Tower rang out demanding Dhimani's arrest.

The House of Governance erupted into furious battle with the vast majority of the adventuring populace choosing to side with Animator Dhimani in his rebellion.

Clambering into his animatronic "Fist," Dhimani provided temporary rings of Final Sanctuary and led a huge war band of insurrectionists in a raid against Final Sanctuary.

It is said that the rebels fought through any number of challenges in the flickering realm of Final, fighting their way through several defensive illusion-realms depicting the slave pits of Traensyr, the old Lower Sanctuary of the past, and the Sanctuary-that-was.

Eventually they reached the Serena Tower, where Dhimani succeeded in disabling most of its defenses.

The band passed within, and were met by the Clockwork Hero, Marshall Greer. Dhimani was able to disable the man's animatronic armor, however, and the old champion was helpless to stop the group as they passed him by.

They passed into the upper levels of the Serena Tower, where they met Sergeant Kayne Baalesman and a band of remaining loyalist Watchers and Agents. Outmatched, the loyalists were slain.

Eventually they passed through a scrying chamber into the secret, private chambers of the Spellguard Commander.

The projection of Commander Thervion was there to meet them, and she offered total forgiveness and resignation. She agreed to let Dhimani take over - if only he would enter alone.

He declined.

Some ancient defenses were activated, and the group continued. Dhimani's huge animatron struggled with the massive blast doors, eventually wresting them down...

They entered into a second chamber, and this time the flickering projection of none other than Stephanos Simms appeared, begging Dhimani to call off the raid. The huge Animatron simply stepped through the flickering projection, and set to work on the second set of immense doors.

Pylons blasted at the group as well as a stream of dusty animatronic defenders that Dhimani had been unable to disable, but the rebels continued.

At last the second set of doors were torn asunder and they entered into the private chambers of the Spellguard Commander.

Quote from: Narrative Shouts
The door is smashed open.

They enter the Commander`s private chamber.

It is dominated by an enormous tube.

Floating in the tube, is seen an emaciated and ancient female figure. She appears several centuries old.

Surrounding the tube you see four decayed bodies.

The remains of Calandra Thervion.

The remains of Kyros Miller IV.

The remains of Duke Barkely.

And the remains of Stephanos Simms.

Within the tube... is a woman.

A final projection begins to appear.

A projection of Spellguard Commander Melinda Serena Bresley flickers into existence.

Indeed, for within that chamber was at last revealed the true power of the Spellguard - none other than Melinda Bresley herself, sustained in life by floating in the Tube, and orchestrating nearly two centuries of Sanctuary's existence with her projections and scrying.

Melinda Bresley lived.

Howlando

Faced with the shocking secret in the depths of the Serena Tower, Animator Dhimani did not choose to cease his rebellion. Gathering his forces, he set to smashing the huge tube in which Melinda's desiccated form floated.

As the massive animatron pummeled the Tube, the projection of Melinda Bresley ripped through the adventurers - casting off an intense barrage of withering magic and slashing at them with her projected sword. A steady stream of animatronic defenders hammered the rebels.

After intense, furious battle.... the rebels proved victorious. The tube was shattered, and the helpless old woman washed out of it to the ground.

The ancient figure stretched out her hand to Dhimani, and the others... and whispered a few final words.

"Preserve.....

Sanctuary... must.... endure...."

And then, outside of the confines of her tube, the extraordinary woman - at long, long last - finally perished.

Howlando

In the aftermath, Sanctuary has become a shocked, frightened place.

"First Citizen Dhimani" has set to solidifying his absolute rule over the city. Animatronic forces have marched out of deep bunkers as an aggressive show of force.

While Final Sanctuary remains, none doubt that, bereft of the baublium (now ever more frequently called "dhimanium") that powers its illusions, it may soon flicker out of existence. Many of its occupants have begun to make arrangements to depart... but to where?

Some whisper in fear of a rumored campaign of dangerous conquest on the surface in order to secure more dhimanium to power the old Animator's many projects.

Whatever may transpire, none doubt - the Age of Dhimani will be an eventful one.

Stream of the Event

Howlando

::[ Flamerule 13th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

Rumors speak of the Animator addressing the people of Sanctuary in the main square, now renamed 'Dhimani Square.' He arrived in the cabin of a new, enormous war-machine of terrible power called 'The Eye of Dhimani.'

After issuing forth certain demands, now posted in the square, he offered great rewards to one who discovered for him something called the "Jewels of Dunwarren."

After some time passed, a number of sendings rang out....

Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by Zyphaem Faussad : Greetings, Sanctuary, this is Zyphaem Faussad speaking. I have few pieces of baublium remaining to activate this device, so have been rationing my messages, but I have decided to make contact in light of the changes that have been broadcast. I am anxious to learn more and, most importantly, discover.....[static]...wife....[static]....

Spellguard Broadcast : Zyphaem Faussad, this is Agent Isolde Mhaille-Vaughan, Chief Herald of the House of Governance. It`s great to hear that you`re alive and well! I`m happy to let you know that Isabel is also safe and under First Citizen Dhimani`s protection. She had been captured and imprisoned by Melinda Bresley, and the Spellguard would love to release her into your safekeeping.

Spellguard Broadcast : I understand you`re probably far away from your home in Sanctuary at the moment. First Citizen Dhimani would greatly like to talk to you about matters important to Sanctuary`s continued prosperity and securing the future of Man -- and, of course, to reunite you with your loving wife Isabel. Travel safely, friend! We`ll eagerly wait for your arrival at the Tower.

Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by Zyphaem Faussad : Delighted as I am to hear of the rise of Animator Dhimani, I await message from one whose intentions I could possibly trust. I will say this - I am trapped where I am. I can provide instructions about where that is when someone who I can trust in every way initiates contact. Don`t harm my wife.

Spellguard Broadcast : Faussad, before I was an Agent, I was a Theoferrous Knight of the Shining Hammer Society. I`m a seeker of truth and a crusader for humanity. The reign of Melinda Bresley is over. Your wife is safe. I just want to talk; to return your wife and maybe have some questions answered. We`ll be waiting.

City Sending by Azanahn Tafari : The Scriveners of Doom are sworn by sacred purpose to neutrality and, it is in the interest of the Sanctuary Mausolem to ensureyour fate, it is fundamentally unimportant to us if you ever contact Serena Tower. Please describe the desired means of contact if you wish to expedite your release.

City Sending by Azanahn Tafari : The only stipulation we pose is that you provide a summary of your life, to facilitate the eventualy obituaries of yourself and your wife... after the coming fall of the Sanctuary-That-Is.

City Sending by Claire Chambers : There`s no one in this city you can trust, Faussad. Least of all me. I killed half of my superiors because I didn`t like them. That don`t matter. All that matters is that I`m good at what I do- I`m good at the Machine. Why the hell won`t you talk to me? Don`t you want to finish it? It`s a masterpiece.

City Sending by Hakim Al-Wali : Faussad I have read much of your writings throughout the underdark and seek knowledge on great relics and treasure. If you have knowledge of where to find such you can trust me. I also have questions about Tezzeret and other arch mages on Ymph.

City Sending by Claire Chambers : I don`t know why Melinda wanted you, though I`m dying to. Just what do you know? Just where exactly are you trapped? Somewhere in Dunwarren, beside a sending sphere. Aheh. It`s a great little mystery, isn`t it? I don`t know why it`s one you`re so eager to keep secret, but I`m going to find you...

City Sending by Kora Bramblefoot : Kora Bramblefoot speakin`. I`m not one t`get in the way`a a bunch`a tall folks tryin` t`climb over each-other t`rescue someone, normally, but I don`t really trust many`a them t`actually do that. If y`need help, send word t`me, yeah?

Message Relayed by Messenger Girl : Uhh... err... `To this "Faussad" that all have interest in; I am the potentante of the cult of Dingledar the Defiler, who occupies the Fetid Throne of the Corogothian nest. Any who arouses such interest from my fellow human cattle as you do draws His malignant eye. `Know that he will find you before my other bovine bretheren; Know that he shall shall be your doom. Will you be martyr or victim, I wonder?

Howlando

::[ Dhimany 16th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

It has been an eventful dark.

Some sendings of note:
Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by The Man in the Mask : The Tyrant is dead. Long live the Tyrant.
Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by The Man in the Mask : Fair dark, Sanctuary. Fair dark, Zyphaem Faussad, wherever you are. Melinda Bresley may be dead, but I for one am not prepared to accept the rule of our new `First Citizen.` Those who think the last bastion of free people can do better than the childish rages of Basian Dhimani, make yourself known, and perhaps the long legacy of oppressive tyranny that has ruled Sanctuary for so far can finally be lifted. As for you, Zyphaem Faussad.... you have my sympathies.
Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by The Man in the Mask : I have many questions these recent `darks, and I wonder if you are the only one who can illuminate these mysteries. I will undertake to find you worthy allies, and we will set about the business of freeing you from where you are trapped, aiding you, and freeing your wife.
Unauthorised Dunwarren Sending by The Man in the Mask : And a final warning for those who serve the new tyrant in red-and-black. It is time to seek a new path. And if you do not, heed this warning - beware!

While rumors vary, according to most, the reclusive Man in the Mask was seen stalking the Lower Marketplace, and attending an enormous gathering of the Covenant and other Lowersfolk to discuss plans to offer aid to Faussad and find him before the Spellguard does.

Curiously, some hours after, the Spellguard announced that they had decided to free Isebel Faussad, and shortly afterwards she was observed walking - dazed - through the streets of Upper.

Shortly after, Isebel entered into the In Between Ruins to escape to Lower Sanctuary. She had not gone far when she and her small group of companions were ambushed by the vile quasit Dingledar the Defiler. Unfortunately for the winged demon, he was attacked by a local scrapper and prevented from kidnapping Isebel.

Stuffed into an old jar once used to keep deviled-eggs, the dead quasit has been mounted atop the display cabinet of the Serpent's Hoard.

Isebel Faussad's location is unknown.

ShadowCharlatan

::[ Dhimany 17th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::
As the number of silent gods has grown, one strange exception has begun to draw the attention of the people of Sanctuary.

Indeed, many have realised that the gods of the gnomish pantheon have not ceased to grant spells, blessings, and miracles to those who worship them. It has not escaped the opportunistic, nor the former priests and clerics of dead faiths, that Dunwarren itself is a gnomish city - if svirfneblin - and that it would only be natural to pay respects to the gnomish pantheon in such a place.

And so it has become more and more common among the people of Sanctuary:
...to offer prayers to Garl Glittergold to bless them with luck...
...to pay homage to Callarduran Smoothhands in thanks for Dunwarren's protection and the svirfneblin mechanists who created it so well...
...to beg Flandal Steelskin's aid when working crude smithies and craftworks...
...to ask for protection from Segojan Earthcaller and Baervan Wildwanderer when travelling beyond Sanctuary...
...to thank Baravar Cloakshadow for hiding Sanctuary so well...
...to bless the Watchers and Warders in the name of Gaerdal Ironhand that they may better defend the place...
...to ask for inspiration from Nebelun the Meddler when trying something new, or making something inventive...
...to wish Urdlen's frothing madness and wrath fall only upon the enemies of Sanctuary...

Even among some humans, the wielding of blessings in the name of gnomish gods has started to occur. There is a sizeable minority of folk who devote themselves to the gnomish gods, as all other powers seem to dwindle and fade.

Howlando

::[ Flamerule 18th : Year 166 : 1388 DR ]::

It has been another eventful day in the darkness.

A strange tale spreads among the people of Sanctuary, spoken of most particularly by those who make their homes in the slime-flooded streets of the Lower below.

Seeking some favor from that mad patron of the Covenant known as Temrariel the Six Fingered, it is said that the motley band of Covenant-aligned active in Sanctuary were offered a number of tasks that they might perform for the lich in exchange for what they sought. Supposedly one possible task for the lich was the recovery of a ring, a memento from its youth as a young noble in Traensyr in centuries past, that was possessed for whatever reason now by the notorious mindflayer Intryzz.

The Covenant and a few of their allies (including among the Society) traveled to the Sleeping Pyrimo to see what they could offer in exchange for the ring. There, an amused Intryzz explained that the "simple ring" was nothing less than the powerful lich's phylactery, and that by keeping it safe and secure the mindflayer had managed to maintain an uneasy truce between the Master of the Depths of the Dark Lake and his sunken Inn for a long time. To give it up would thus be far too great a risk, as the illithid acknowledged that the powerful slimes of the Lake were a threat to the security of his home. Teasingly, the illithid suggested that perhaps they could ally together to destroy the ancient lich - he assured them that by destroying the ring, the Lich would be stunned and vastly weakened, and most importantly could be truly destroyed in a way that had proven impossible even for the old drow matron mothers of Traensyr.

The Covenant refused utterly this offer from the mpndflayer,  and so Intryzz bade them deliver a harsh warning to Temrariel - let no slime even darken the windows of his inn, lest the old lich face an end to its "dusty dreams."

With the message delivered, the lich was goaded into a foul rage, and decided that he would send his army - including his loyal mortal servants among the Covenant - in a grand sunken assault on the exterior walls of the Sunken Pyrimo. The lich explained that while Intryzz was nearly untouchable within the walls of his Inn, the external walls of the sunken dwelling were vulnerable to assault from the powerful slimes and oozes of the Lich.

Temrariel contrived to open passage to the distant corner of the Lake where the walls of the sunken inn could be found, and his mortal servitors led a huge assault upon them. Countless creatures enthralled or otherwise loyal to Intryzz were destroyed. A huge defensive monolith that warded the inn against dissolution was obliterated. Intryzz sent forth many of his most skilled gladiators in a desperate defense of the walls of the Sleeping Pyrimo Tavern.

Temrariel's army was far greater however, and eventually the last of the Pyrimo's defenders was destroyed. The inn was helpless before the huge slimes that slowly dissolved the walls as the mad-eyed lich and his many servants watched.

It was then that a mental projection of Intryzz appeared to address his enemies. The illithid chided Temrariel for the boldness of his assault, and then showed him his Ring - the Ring that the lich desired so to have returned to him.

The illithid then crushed it. With the phylactery destroyed, Temrariel was stunned and vastly weakened.

Intryzz's mental suggestion penetrated the dark waters. "Friends. Friends! Here now is your chance... to strike a great blow! Do not waste it!"

And, it appears that the mindflayer's calculating understanding of the whims of adventurers and folk of Sanctuary seemed to be of greater value than the great slime lich's power and necromantic abilities. For rather than rallying to defend the Lich in its temporary moment of weakness, the majority of the Covenant did indeed seize the opportunity to destroy the Lich with only a select few choosing to try to defend it.

Even vastly weakened, it is said that Temrariel put up a terrible fight. But finally, after great battle, the powerful lich was attacked by a single final psychic concussive blast directed from the Pyrimo - and, with its phylactery already gone, the Six Fingered was destroyed at long last.

The remnants of the Covenant returned to the sunken halls of Vhuln to find the crowds of drow petitioners and slime enthusiasts fighting amongst each other, vying for new rank and position. Without Temrariel's magic to sustain it, the ruins of Vhuln began to crack and crumble and flood.

Seizing treasure - along with whatever it was that they sought in the first place - the survivors of this terrible battle returned to Sanctuary.

But what now will happen with the "Covenant of the Pure"? Bereft of leadership and the patronage of the Elder Slimes, it is doubtful that it will endure in any form much longer....

Partial stream of event