Factions rant

Started by Cerberus, October 22, 2009, 12:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanTelmo

I will never post anything to Off-topic again. Never.
"EFU is a romance server now" -Vlaid

"Some people just gotta be killed" -Gip

politoed_

If this is all so innately funny, why bother mentioning it instead of just laughing to yourself?

I really don't see why anyone's 'GUILT' should be acknowledged, nor am I capable of understanding how you are so privy into my guilt and/or upsetitude levels and would sincerely appreciate it if you could enlighten me as to how you've come upon this conclusion. I don't really see why you feel the need to acknowledge you aren't upset and/or angry either.

Only trying to offer helpful advice and straighten out all the misconceptions aforementioned!

Cerberus

Quote from: Lulzebub;150650I've noticed that people want to hang out with me more when I'm not all whiny and bitchy.
Quote from: Halfbrood;150651F the Haters. FBF!
[shakes head] tff, lol... Who's doing the whining and hating, me or you? :p

politoed_

Forgive me if I misconceive the posts of they or yourself, but I do believe they made such remarks in jest.

Halfbrood

Cerberus

omg, I give up. lol

Tell ya what, soon as I get home from work I'll jump into IRC and give ya'll my cell phone number and we can become bestest buds and drive across state lines ta vist each other and play kissy face huggy bear and shit.

But I have to say... Proof is in the pudding.

SanTelmo

I promised not to post but posted nonetheless.
"EFU is a romance server now" -Vlaid

"Some people just gotta be killed" -Gip

politoed_

Well sir, I'm not sure I really understand your pudding analogy. Maybe if the pudding was some figment of my imagination I was too stubborn to accept as false.

If you wanna do some of the former I am up for it though.

Dash

Cerberus, please stop being vague. You have beat around the bush forever, claiming mysterious groups have wronged you. I think instead of this huge rant forum, the kind of 'cliquing' you seem to be claiming exists on this server is a completely OOC issue and one that should be brough to DM attention privately.

Either that or you are a master troll.

SN

Talir

There are factions that are a closely knit group with a purpose, having few members and rely upon trust to keep going, and there are the ones that widely recruit people where there are no limitations to joining. Having been a part of many factions and lead a few myself, I know a lot of how difficult it can be at times. Being a leader of the faction is tough because you are expected to be the most notable in pursuing the group's agenda (and making it!), recruit people, get interest and maintain it. All the while, you have to attend to the faction's members and try to do something that you hope is fun or interesting for everyone. It's a tough burden and ultimately, the faction's success depends upon you and your members. It is not a position many wants due to this and when a faction leader dies to something, the group will often fall slowly apart.

As a member of a faction, you have the opportunity to really shine by helping the other members and the leaders out in pursuing the goals. As mentioned earlier you get out of the faction what you put in it. It is only natural that the leaders will attend more to those who help push the agenda. Yet this does not mean that you are ignored. Try approaching the other members and get along on the stuff that is being done, then you'll see the interactions go more smoothly and you are able to dig into the more serious parts of the faction. No leader seeking world domination will tell the grunt all the steps in his plan, but a good right hand helping to pursue it will almost always be knowing.

The players on EFU:A have always been a helpful and approachable bunch, both in-game and OOCly. The fact that so many have posted in this thread to try and offer you advice and help should back that statement up. If you believe you are being mistreated OOCly, tell us about it. We'll know for sure. Yet nobody likes to reach out with a helping hand, only to have it slapped back in his face. Accusing people of being in cliques and insulting them when they try to help you will brew negative OOC feelings. A positive and relaxed attitude helps a lot to counter it. Sure, a lot of people find it more fun to roleplay or plot with certain other people but none that I know will push others aside. My advice to you is to chill and listen, ask the leader of the faction about your concerns in a positive note and I'm sure everything will work out. Feel free to send a private message to me on the forums as well.

Now, I am going to lock this thread because it has run its course and I don't like what it has turned into. If anyone has something constructive they want posted, I'll open it again.

DangerousDan

Mort

I think the critique was more on "clique" behavior rather than "factions", i.e. groups of OOC friends sticking out with eachother.

We've always promoted people to try and change their 'clique' from time to time. Change the people they roleplay with and so. It's a good habit to have and make you a more interesting player. And it's definitely true that you are usually friendler or act better toward a member of your clique (as an enemy or an ally). It's usually because the players are from the same age group, same region, or same cultural background and just understand eachothers easier.

A good benefit of new accounts is that you can create a new first impression. Sometimes you will get a poorer treatment because you are using a new account or got a default nwn description, or a default nwn portrait, or dont emote or speak in a very eloquent manner. But it happens to everyone and it's usually not the entire playerbase that treats you this way.

Some of my own characters have been 'rejected' or 'ostracised' out of events, quests, meeting, etc. Sometimes its because you are playing too original a character that has low charisma that you cant really have a group with you. It doesn't mean you can't have fun, find your own group that works for this character of yours, and roleplay. Maybe you'll be successful, become a name for yourself and then its going to be the turn of the characters who rejected you to come back grovel for your attention... Or maybe not.

It happens to everyone. Perhaps moreso when you are not that well known by the community.

But I doubt thrusting a knife at the community as a whole, singlehandedly, and going "This is your fault! Why am I not..." is the right way to approach this.

9lives

Cerebrus, I'm real happy for you and I'ma (not) let you finish, but the Stouthearts were the best player faction of all time.

OF ALL TIME.