A possible farewell

Started by Aethereal, February 03, 2011, 11:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethereal

Well with the death of Aessar I don't really feel like playing anymore. I guess it was nice while it lasted... but it is an odd and unbalanced combination of game play and story.

I mean as Aessar died he did not fight back... pvp just broke out of nowhere, no warning, so I don't know - I even buffed the guy before he did the deed. Sure it progresses the story, but it isn't really fair gameplay for the player on the receiving end, if you ask me.

I'm a game designer myself and I am hardcore gamer as well, so I know what I want out of a game. I really don't think I can achieve it in EFU:A as the type of game I want would have a permanent character, who can go through see the world change and evolve around him and chronicle it. Like historian or a scrivener of doom, really.

From what I've heard from  several players, the server is greatly about player conflict. That is fair enough, but to keep playing new characters whilst holding all the knowledge and experience from your last, repeating all that you did over and over again... No thanks, I don't play games to grind on stupid quests. I could RP all day, watch the others kill each other, play a minor role in it. But I think something like that is not possible on EFU. Sure, there are consequences for your actions  - but I'd prefer to see creativity rather than simple permanent death. Especially when one invests as much in a character as I do.

I like to think something creative can still be done here. I don't know though. I wonder what other people think on this topic.

Edit: Oh and the fact I don't like PvP and overly competitive environments doesn't help either.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

prestonhunt

It's not for everyone.  At least I get my nick back.  So long!

Aethereal

Quote from: prestonhunt;222180It's not for everyone.  At least I get my nick back.  So long!

You are ever the charmer aren't you. Glad to be leaving if it means seeing less of you, whoever you are. That type of attitude doesn't help anyone.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

Diz-e

There are those of us who like to make characters who persist longer than a week or two. Getting used to the server's idiosyncrasies/politics and playing with a clever outlook are all it takes.

Blue41

There have been characters who have rocked the server without ever stepping foot beyond the front gate. Like every idea ever, you can believe that if you've thought it, someone's tried it. Seems a shame to step away before you give it another go.

But as phunt said, it's not for everybody. I've had as many bad ends as good ends. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

Egon the Monkey

I survived on this server for the best part of 2 years with only 1 real PVP on my first wizard. Oddly enough, he was also a fat, fairly affable Necromancer. It's certainly possibly to avoid conflict while still gaining some degree of influence as a PC. The trick is to know when to step away and back down, and when to drop a ton of bricks on someone. It's something you learn from playing here a while.

Lenthis

*Rolls eyes* Magi some people are just like that, each to his own. None the less Aeasser was a fine fellow a good friend of anots and I enjoyed his rp Nice seeing you about as I did.

tddbrprncss

Yeah, so everyone my character hung out with regularly is dead...o.O  Aessar will be missed!  *mutters something about who's gonna save her butt now*

Aethereal

Quote from: Lenthis;222185*Rolls eyes* Magi some people are just like that, each to his own. None the less Aeasser was a fine fellow a good friend of anots and I enjoyed his rp Nice seeing you about as I did.

Likewise for Anot! I can't say I regret playing, I did of course enjoy it.

Its probably just a case of simulated death syndrome. You know, in real life when you die, you don't actually get to come back; or maybe you do if reincarnation is real - but that is a topic for another place.
---

Germain

I enjoyed my time with Aessar, sir.  I think you have a lot to contribute to the server as well. I would recommend playing another PC who just has interest in other things then your last. There are a world of things out there that you likely have no idea about and could explore. Hell..there are a load of things out there that most players have no knowledge of. Get out there and make something for yourself.

If you do choose to go on your own path, I understand and wish you the best sir.

Craig210

When my first character died here I felt very much the same, I felt as if i couldn't get the fresh experience back and that while it was a blast and something incredible. A second third or fourth character would never match up to what i had come to love with my first.

I was wrong, I rolled up another character the next day and jumped right back in. I followed a new path and learned new things, I met new people and contributed to some great RP experiences. Within a week I was dead, but app'd for a new secretive faction.

I lasted a month and found myself completely addicted. It's 6 months down the line, and while some of my concepts barely last a week others have managed to become infamous villains or martyrs. I've been assassinated, Executed 3 times, ganked, dry looted. While the death itself makes me feel bad for a day or two i know that EFU has so much to offer that other servers I have tried do not.

I say give it a day or two, try something new, or simple try the same thing but this time learn from your mistakes. Yes EFU is conflict heavy, it has alot of pvp and alot of deaths, -BUT- some of the greatest pc's have been focused purely around RP and have done great things.

In time you will come to know which players "Take it to the max" and which players are more tolerable of slight offences.

Good luck and hopefully see you in game.

The Beggar

Caddies

If you don't like PvP or conflict in general its exceedingly easy to avoid it.

EFU is however a server where conflict (of all varieties, of which PvP is only one facet) is encouraged and to get the best out of the server one must embrace it. I'm talking about a paladin raising his banner and recruiting a legion of crusaders to vanquish the server of evil groups and champions, a priest of Mask engaging in labyrinthine plotting which involves the untraceable murder of his political and religious enemies, an infernalist who seeks to bind devils into his service in complicated sacricial rituals of his foes...all of this stuff comes under conflict. I ask you how much fun would EFU be without this emphasis?

I'll even give you the answer: it wouldn't be.

Regardless of what you decide for now, I wish you the best. You'll be back though!

Aethereal

Quote from: Germain;222188I enjoyed my time with Aessar, sir.  I think you have a lot to contribute to the server as well. I would recommend playing another PC who just has interest in other things then your last. There are a world of things out there that you likely have no idea about and could explore. Hell..there are a load of things out there that most players have no knowledge of. Get out there and make something for yourself.

If you do choose to go on your own path, I understand and wish you the best sir.
I am glad to hear that. I will definitely think about it.
---

Mort

I think it's a shared feeling that when you suffer a permanent death that is beyond your control, you feel sad. You have to take the experience and the story that you gained and cherish those memories (hence why I tell people to take screenshots of their adventures!). I can guarantee that everyone, here, has felt that at least once.

We have all gone through it, Aessar, and I can assure you that all it takes is a few nights of sleep to grow over it and envision a new character that you'd enjoy to play. It is a hard experience, but it also the source of much entertainment. Good luck with your next character, and...

Hope you stick around!