EFU Movie Reviews

Started by Gotham, December 21, 2012, 02:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbaes

NecropolisV

I loved the Hobbit: PART ONE , important, remember that! Ive read the book a million times :P, im a huge LOTR fan and i find that though it was lacking in some areas was relatively close to the book, not to mention that they went more into depth with the Radigast the brown than i read in the hobbit, it was rather pleasant i thought. I took my GF to see it though so it was probably that addition to the equation that made it better for me XD

Gotham

I watched The Hobbit today. these are my opinions.

QuoteAndrew Schiffbauer
I saw the Hobbit today and was kind of underwhelmed

Andrew Schiffbauer 10:25 pm
    I feel it failed at attempting to emulate The Lord of the Rings, which it was trying to do
    and failed to stand on it's own as a lighter, less epic and more adventerous tale, because it was so busy trying to be The Lord of the Rings
    LOTR cut things out and changed some events but roughly followed the events of the book
    The Hobbit just sort of changes shit to fit it's own new narrative
    one thats not so much about Bilbo but about Thorin, Gandalf, and Middle-Earth at large

Andrew Schiffbauer 10:27 pm
    There's no period of character investment to make us emphasize with Bilbo, and Thorins entire backstory (which wasn't touched in the book at all) is thrown at us via exposistion fairy
    it's like - the opening flashback to explain the dragon and the fall of Erebor, thats great
    thats needed to set up the plot, and the stakes
    the White Goblin subplot is crammed in there from supplementary material
    As is the material regarding the White Council
    (as much as I loved radagast)

Andrew Schiffbauer 10:29 pm
    I'd still say it was a good movie over all
    and it admittedly was delt a poorer hand in the matter of book material - the Hobbit being much LIGHTER than LOTR
    but THEY chose to make it a trilogy
    they could've made a much tighter focused Duology
    I guess 'too much fan service' sums it up?

Andrew Schiffbauer 10:33 pm
    when it sticks to being a more light hearted adventure, it shines (The trolls, the giant fat goblin king), but these moments are at dissonance with the much heavier tale it's TRYING to tell.
    the balance between them doesn't feel right
    Admittedly my opinions may be colored by the fact I remember the Hobbit, and much more fondly, than I did LOTR
    So I have a bad case of "read the book"itus
    Still I enjoyed it for what it was
    I just had to actively tell my brain to shut up

CollegeDropout