Can't get NWN to play well on Win 8

Started by siriusdogstar, March 17, 2014, 02:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siriusdogstar

Can anybody verify that their files are all lowercase, uppercase or a combination thereof?

Nuclear Catastrophe

As I've written already I had the same issue and it was to do with the openGL drivers on modern gfx cards causing unplayable frame rates and lag.

if I recall correctly it's because visible cloaks were enabled in hotu and that is what causes the huge framerate drop.

I'll find a link.

Nuclear Catastrophe

Give this a try, if it works, great, if it doesn't at least you can rule it out  http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=208426&id=1500

siriusdogstar

Quote from: Nuclear Catastrophe;377475Give this a try, if it works, great, if it doesn't at least you can rule it out  http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=208426&id=1500

Thanks, tried it but it still didn't work.  Thank you for not abandoning me yet!

Howlando

I wish I could be helpful, but I have no advice to provide. Hopefully the problem is solved soon.

FarmGirl

QuoteUsing an old ATI Radeon HD 4550, which should be plenty to play this game. Its updated to the latest driver.

Do you have the AMD Catalyst Control Center installed? I've noticed it can effect performance in NWN.

I'd suggest uninstalling it it. Specifically, run the latest AMD graphics driver installation program to uninstall everything AMD related, then run it again, select a custom installation, but don't have CCC installed.

If that doesn't work also try downgrading the drivers to something from a few years ago.

hedsik

Quote from: FarmGirl;377650try downgrading the drivers to something from a few years ago.

Good advice, try this. Go to oldversion.com for them

Heavyfog

My guess is also that its most likely a driver issue.  Before replacing my old computer (Pentium 4) I had upgraded(?) the graphics card from an old Nvidia FX5500 (a card as old as nwn) to an ATI HD2600 and I could never get the game to run right.  My frame rates were very bad and I had many strange graphical artifacts on my screen.  I eventually got an even more powerful ATI card (5000 series) thinking that would be the fix but I ran into the same issues.  I eventually downgraded to an Nvidia 6800 Ultra and had no issues at all.  NWN seems to dislike ATI cards imo, however they seem to work for some people.  The earliest drivers available for your graphics card might get nwn working well. I wish you the best of luck.

Paha

I've been using ATI cards from 5870 -> 7970 (Currently) and many in between, on lowend not meant for gaming and those used for gaming.

On windows 7 I never had problems. Windows 8 few times, but I sorted them out.

Once more, what I can advice is to keep updated drivers, they definitely are not the issue. If you have newest 8.1 patch on windows 8, that can screw you up as it screwed many newest games all the same.

Your graphic card is on low-medium range, so it's specific  shaders or other aspects may conflict with nwn settings presented on 1.69, it happens. Make sure you have the graphic 3d settings set so that program itself can adjust them, do not make adjustments in graphic cards settings yourself, this is necessary for some newest and older games. Next, make use of the 2d audio midi what not it's in game. Turn off the shiny water. Make sure you are running what ever highest bit textures you got or what not.

Confirm twice that you are running admin, not just on the shortcut you use to play nwn, but on the directory that mainexe and others have admin use and xp sp3 tagged everywhere. Windows 8 runs even further versions of aero and other settings that will mess up. You have been running windows 8 this far, have you? Or just switched up to it since you last played?

edit:

Also for claritys sake, never really compare graphic cards or assume that newer / better is always that. Even with same models and maker cards there can be great performance differences, it's sometimes luck of the draw. Different models also have different hardware, some low level shitty cards will run older games far better than any new card can. Your card can run nwn and even if it may lose to some newer ones, should have all support that is required. There's just some tweak somewhere.

siriusdogstar

Quote from: Nuclear Catastrophe;377236Cloaks are normally the problem.  The OpenGL NwN uses is not compatible with most modern gfx cards unless you apply a hotfix or disable cloaks and something else.

I had the same problem.

What hot fix?

SN

I'm going to bump this as I have spent 5 hours in the last two days trying to get NWN to run.

At some point I was able to start single modules just fine but then - whenever I attempted to connect to EFU (both old and new character) I had an instant game-crash, without even seeing the 'loading' screen.

And it's getting worse and worse, especially after clean reinstall now..

Radeon HD 6700, Win 7 64 Bit

Funny thing is - shortly after you guys released the myconid hak, I downloaded it to have a look at it, worked fine and I didn't play since then.

I'll post some more when I'm actually not at the point of just tossing it out the window.

Paha

Make sure you got latest drivers. Make sure you got latest haks, as when you have enabled haks, you must have all of them unless you first disable them.

Run the main nwn .exe as administartor and windows xp sp3 format, and voluntary disable aeroes on windows 7.

Mortui

I have absolutely no trouble running it in Windows 8.1

Could that possibly make a difference?

SN

Quote from: Paha;386706Make sure you got latest drivers. Make sure you got latest haks, as when you have enabled haks, you must have all of them unless you first disable them.

Run the main nwn .exe as administartor and windows xp sp3 format, and voluntary disable aeroes on windows 7.

Been there yesterday :)