I am Howlando, AMA

Started by Howlando, September 09, 2017, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvermoon Dervish

If most apps are accepted, are the people who can reliably get them accepted the ones that apply the most?

Howlando

QuoteIs the current setting of EFU the last change in setting we're likely to experience? (Obviously, things change, I had meant in terms of surface/locale).

Who knows but we occasionally discuss new chapter ideas. For example....

"Escape from Gaeseric: The Passion of Gundahar" - just in case we need to go for a new audience
"Escape from the Nightrisen: The Bone Armies" - Nightrisers in the Underdark could be cool
"Escape from Intryzz: The Games of the Pyrimo" - If Sanctuary falls I think it would be possible to have an entire setting in the Sleeping Pyrimo actually...
"Escape from the Mist: The Deadly Fog Descends" - there's a lot of untapped potential with the Mist I suppose...
"Escape from Omar: The Mean Streets of the Wire" - because I know some of you like the Wire just as much as I do
"Escape from City of Old Port: Survival" - some sort of brain-zombie survival horror set in Old Port, since I know so many people wished we would have had a setting in Old Port...
"Escaped from Sanctuary: Back to the Surface" - We could re-use some old EFU:A content just with surface creepers and stranger lighting
"Escape from Traensyr: The Founding of Sanctuary" - some kind of prequel; maybe having the setting take place during the days of Charles and Frederick Bresley and players would have to try to escape from the various drow houses
"Escape from the Internet: Real Life" - the final chapter I guess

QuoteHow can we help DM retention? I understand that people come and go, but usually, even on other servers - they'll stick around for a little bit and then jetset off again.
If I knew the answer to this the server would be a better place. I suppose just being fun and chill.

QuoteWhen abouts can we expect the new crafting system? Can't wait for a use for herbs and other random bits and bobs.
I would not hold your breath.

QuoteAny examples of underappreciated areas that you or the DM team have in mind? I feel there are many great places in the server/module, just that getting to them or even seeing them (puzzles/riddles) is the hardest part. This isn't a "woe is me I can't find hidden cool shit", but rather a "are there cool places under our noses that we could be appreciating"?)
I wish there were more kobolds using the kobold monster lair. Because it is a great lair.

Adhesive

What was the single most difficult thing you developed for EFU? Either a script, tileset, quest, or perhaps world-building, plot, or faction concept. Anything that comes to mind!

What was the easiest?

What is the one trait found in either a player or a player character (or perhaps both) that immediately makes you take an interest in them?

What is the one trait that makes you uneasy when you see it?

If you could do one thing over, what would it be? How would you improve it?

Currently, what is your favorite aspect of the server?

Least favorite?

fishingpenguin

In EFU1 there was a "junkyard" location that I think was somewhere in the machine.  In the junkyard there was a small shack guarded by an intellect devourer.  Who's shack was that, and what was it doing there?

zDark Shadowz

I'm someone who probably just doesn't know how to ask the right questions so I'll ask these ones.

When it comes to plot hooks or stories IG that involve specific players, how are they normally created?

Does a DM happen across an interesting person IG, find out what they are about and start creating events for that person if they're interested in where they are headed?

Do players ask the DMs if they can do this and that spontaneously when a DM is available and go from there?

Are story ideas posted as apps for NPC associations or lodged in DM Q&A private discussions?

All of the above?

How pro-active do you prefer the players to be when it comes to enforcing their own tale upon the setting, and any suggestions for people looking to make their own mark but don't know who or how to ask?

Howlando

QuoteIn EFU1 there was a "junkyard" location that I think was somewhere in the machine. In the junkyard there was a small shack guarded by an intellect devourer. Who's shack was that, and what was it doing there?

I think this was a mostly abandoned contribution from Wolf_Pack a.k.a. GreenerGrass - it was supposed to be something to do with Ghaunadaur, but it never really went anywhere.

Hello fishingpenguin! Been a long time.

Cruzel

What was the deal with the blood golem in the pocket plane accessed by cathbadh's relic? What was its purpose, and was it ever possible to control or destroy it?

One of my greatest efu regrets was being a dumbass and killing Johannes'  awesome PC and ending that miniplot :(

Dredi

EFU has perhaps been one of the best designed servers for NWN I've ever seen but after the sudden loss of my last character I lost a lot of interest in playing.

This was in March.

Is there any advice at all you might be able to give for someone trying to get back into the game, or the server once again?

Pool

A) Was there anything dedicated to the Cartographer that existed on Ymph that wasn't relevant to his hobby/profession but rather him as a person (such as abandoned journals, mist visions, virgin lands where he might've rested/visited/finally passed on)?

B) I don't need to know 'how' this chapter ends, but I do want to know; how soon will the setting leave the Underdark?

Deston E

What are your expectations of a good player? Should they cater to the enjoyment of other PCs, or would you prefer they look after their own interests and fun first?

What are your expectations of a good DM?

Can we get a new necromancer to take over Thomas' shop? Maybe little withering Molly wants to be like daddy.

I love cats

Questions on some NPCS.

1 General Drexia

How did Razul get him to abandon the Rubies? Also how did he come to serve the Rubies?

2 Thomas the Necromancer

Thomas got exiled. How come? Why did he establish an inn?

3 The Count and Trenada

I remember Trenada being going from being one of the counts largest supporters to being the Count's foe. What caused this?

4 The Grand Larson Burkden's backstory

Seriously this dude was a badass and I remember him speaking up for some poor man and beating up Caddies's governor in a duel.

5 If the Count had gotten the crown of the Isles, what would have happened?

6 Is it possible for a PC to achieve Lichdom?

wundyweiss

With the reveal of NWN:EE by Beamdog, what does the DM team plan on doing? Will it stick with 1.69, or will it attempt to move over to the new game?

I feel that's a very big question for the server's status at the moment, considering that there could be a massive influx of new players. It also affects the current playerbase, as we'd all have to drop 20$ to keep on playing, since the game dev's have stated they will not allow cross-server from 1.69 to EE.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Howlando

QuoteWhat was the deal with the blood golem in the pocket plane accessed by cathbadh's relic? What was its purpose, and was it ever possible to control or destroy it?
[/FONT]
It was a plot. Cathbadh was running tournaments and collecting the blood from the combatants to make a Blood Golem to destroy Ysinode because he knew they would be a big problem later on (remember, this was in EFU chapter 1). Sadly his plans were foiled and the Blood Golem was never used against the Illithid (oops). To be fair I'm not sure it would really have worked. The golem couldn't have been easily controlled but it could have been released by players; but that never happened.

QuoteOne of my greatest efu regrets was being a dumbass and killing Johannes' awesome PC and ending that miniplot :(
[/FONT]
Perhaps in so doing you doomed the world?

Quote[/FONT]EFU has perhaps been one of the best designed servers for NWN I've ever seen but after the sudden loss of my last character I lost a lot of interest in playing.

This was in March.

Is there any advice at all you might be able to give for someone trying to get back into the game, or the server once again?
Don't force it. EFU isn't going anywhere and it's fine to just come in and out as you feel the whim. Just pay attention to the server, and when you feel like it dive back in. Perhaps play something extroverted that gives you an excuse to interact with everyone you see. Maybe a friendly, eccentric beggar? Volunteer to carry people's packs? Clean their armor from goblin blood? And then perhaps over time develop a more interesting agenda, find yourself at the fulcrum of important events, and all of a sudden maybe your friendly beggar is deciding the fate of the world.

QuoteA) Was there anything dedicated to the Cartographer that existed on Ymph that wasn't relevant to his hobby/profession but rather him as a person (such as abandoned journals, mist visions, virgin lands where he might've rested/visited/finally passed on)?
Not that I can recall. [/FONT]

QuoteB) I don't need to know 'how' this chapter ends, but I do want to know; how soon will the setting leave the Underdark?
We have never formally announced the end of a chapter. With every transition, there have been a series of subtle IC and OOC indicators that the attentive & alert player might pick up on. Keep your eyes open, for in EFU some fresh doom is always around the corner.

QuoteWhat are your expectations of a good player? Should they cater to the enjoyment of other PCs, or would you prefer they look after their own interests and fun first?
[/FONT]
This is a complex subject, addressed in more depth elsewhere (how to Rock Socks, for example). Generally speaking, I like players who entertain themselves - but of course a good player should also be mindful about the enjoyment of others.

QuoteWhat are your expectations of a good DM?
[/FONT]
A good DM is someone who respects the server, respects EFU, respects the rest of the team, respects the player base, is easy to work with, and finds some useful role to play. This could be anything from scripting/development to behind-the-scenes maintenance to meta-plot development to content building.

QuoteCan we get a new necromancer to take over Thomas' shop? Maybe little withering Molly wants to be like daddy.
Closed permanently I'm afraid, but feel free to roll up a necromancer PC to open your own shop. [/FONT]

Quote[/FONT]1 General Drexia

How did Razul get him to abandon the Rubies? Also how did he come to serve the Rubies?
Drexia was one of the finest warriors to be had in the UD or surface; and naturally gravitated towards an elite organization in which he could readily advance (a possibility unavailable to him in Traensyr). However, the success he achieved among the Rubies paled in comparison to the possibilities available to him in close service to Razul. Razul knew precisely what to say to him to bind him to his service forever more. [/FONT]

Quote2 Thomas the Necromancer[/FONT]

Thomas got exiled. How come? Why did he establish an inn?
[/FONT]
There have been various hints about Thomas' backstory, but as they were rather subtle I am not surprised they haven't been picked up upon. He was actually a member of a small adventuring company in the early days of Sanctuary. He was naturally highly interested in Dunwarren and the powerful emanations of necromantic energy. However, in those early days of Sanctuary there was little room for a powerful mage that would not join the fledgling Spellguard (and necromancy also was quite frowned upon). He was defeated in a mage duel by none other than Melinda Serena Bresley, and offered exile or death. He chose exile, and scrupulously followed the terms of this exile for the century and a half that followed. He did of course retain an intense interest in Dunwarren and thus did not wish to travel too far, thus establishing his "shop" very close to the outskirts. From there he was involved in many interesting adventures and had many interesting apprentices until his story finally finished with his self-sacrifice that was instrumental for the arduous act of animating Etorix-Once-More.

Quote3 The Count and Trenada[/FONT]

I remember Trenada being going from being one of the counts largest supporters to being the Count's foe. What caused this?
I'm not the best to answer this question. But I don't think he was ever truly loyal to the Count. [/FONT]

Quote4 The Grand Larson Burkden's backstory [/FONT]

Seriously this dude was a badass and I remember him speaking up for some poor man and beating up Caddies's governor in a duel.
Yes.[/FONT]

Quote5 If the Count had gotten the crown of the Isles, what would have happened?
It would have been amazing, I'm sure.[/FONT]

Quote6 Is it possible for a PC to achieve Lichdom?
Absolutely.[/FONT]

Howlando

QuoteWith the reveal of NWN:EE by Beamdog, what does the DM team plan on doing? Will it stick with 1.69, or will it attempt to move over to the new game?

I feel that's a very big question for the server's status at the moment, considering that there could be a massive influx of new players. It also affects the current playerbase, as we'd all have to drop 20$ to keep on playing, since the game dev's have stated they will not allow cross-server from 1.69 to EE.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I believe we will move to EE.

UnholyWon

First off, I’ve missed you guys and gals! Now questions:

1) What is one of the most heart breaking encounters or dialogs you DM’d between PCs?

2) How did it personally feel to have PCs escape from the underdark in the first chapter? And are their statues still in game somewhere?

3) Is there a particular class and/or race you wished people played more in EFU?

4) Has EFU drifted from Forgotten Realms Lore as a non-canon PW that it is essentially no longer part of Forgotten Realms?

5) Are still connected or hear from with the old DMs and Players of old (email, IRC, forums, etc...)?

6) What was your favorite piece of loot created that was a direct result of a players actions in game?

7) What are your top three PC battles (individual duels or group battles) that you DM’d? And why?

8) Since returning to the underdark has there been any desire to bring back old factions?

9) Who was Bobo the clown in real life?

10) What was one regret in each chapter of EFU, excluding the current chapter since it has not ended, that you wish you could alter or change entirely.

Cheers Bro!