Some Blunt Honesty: The Power of Perception ((Outdated, IGNORE!))

Started by Empress of Neon, August 14, 2018, 11:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iconoclast

Was thinking for a while before I chimed in, my place the past ten or so years is usually lurking behind forgettable characters and I like it that way.

This chapter while not the most factionalized (Caermyn/Aberdenn seems to take it for me) is unique because it is the first time that the central hub has really felt up for grabs. In the wake of that and EE it seemed like PC factions really had a shot, and the burst of membership to support . . . momentarily.

tbh I love pc factions. They can really be more involving than majors simply because its led by a person with direct investment and authority rather than relying on a DM who probably has more important things to do than answer letters and push individual schemes.

The issue comes up when players have to rely on a DM to make real changes to the world. The Sentinels did it. The Shining Hammer didn't. Why? I don't know, but its a cheap shot to call out favoritism (it happens, we're all human).

The problem isn't assassins or distasteful murderbanditry. When crafting comes back it will do wonders. I think it has more to do with a lack of a middle ground. It feels like you are almost required to join one of the big 3 and anything else gets pushed in one corner eventually.

Maybe thats the way it has to be because thats the way we made it . . . Sanctuary has been through some shit and this is what it looks like when everything is on the ropes.

Also its summer and people are doing shit. Wait until it gets cold and dark. Efu thrives in dark times.

Ciorbă de Burtă

The princes applaud with a furious joy;
And the king seiz'd the flambeau, with zeal to destroy.

I love cats

As someone who has played some of the servers notorious backstabbers Aholes, gangsters, murderers and overall scum I have to say that assasins and lemmings/followers are an essential part of the server.

An essential truth of EFU PVP I have stated numerouse times is much like RL getting the jump is a huge advantage. It also can allow a few guerillas to overwhelm a party or allow a low class thug the chance to take out a dwarven juggernaught with way more supplies and loot.

One of the most beautiful things about EFU is also how PCs can change the server. The lack of a central hub/lawlessness and chaos where all the result of PC efforts. PCS built the server and they control the server. At any point the playerbase could have thrown -Bresley out said "fuck the spellguard" and appointed a LG paladin to serve as king of Sanctuary.

The server does have periods of extreme polarisation/gang warfare. Hell the ending of chapter 1 was pretty insane with how much polarisation it had. The endings of chapter 2, 3 where pretty civilized affairs in comparison. The beginning of chapter 2 with the ziggurat being a lawless hellhole with players struggling for control was fun.

In short be the change you want to see. Create a group concept of Vigilantes tired of the city being murderville. That is how the original Harbringers of Hoar started in chapter 1 one priestess of hoar with a quarterstaff and one hammer wielding jackass that got tired of every evil sociopath doing whatever they wanted in Lower.

Hell the Montezzi's began as a total joke arrogant nobles announcing they would get power. No one took them seriously everyone mocked them a corrupt Dwarf killed their man with pretty much impunity. Later they recruited enough players killed that dwarf and said "Lower was ours." They then slaughtered everyone who disagreed effectively ending the ascensionists and Hoaran Harbringers as minor factions.

NPCS the established order cannot stand in the way of players. If you dislike the status of the server change it.

Still Trying

The decentralization of the government has made it a wild and crazy time. Personally, my play times stink which hampers me...I may never be a huge name, nor do I consider myself a huge name. I have fun..I interact with lots of people. I'm not even in one of the big three, but man has it been fun. All the swirling plots and the fear of assassins extends even to my little character. It's fun, scary and exhilarating!

I've seen DM quests, been on a few...turned one down for IC  reasons. I feel like balance is there.

Don't mistake a hard time due to the IG conditions for a problem with the server...IG it's rough lately, I feel like I need to watch my arse too..constantly. All the pieces are there for some hero to walk in and unite Sanctuary. Or for a Villain to swoop in and unite it under some nefarious scheme.

I love you devious bastards, I've never had more fun...thanks for the great times. I'm still learning and loving every minute!

henchman93

There aren't enough PC's taking the reigns to make something out of the clay which is lawless Sanctuary.
You can control any kind of territory with any kind of player support.

People cling onto the main three factions. But why?
You can succeed completely independent from any of them.

We don't need DM's to make RP and intrigue.

AKMatt

Quote from: SanTelmo on August 15, 2018, 02:26:04 PM
I really want to clear up bad the air brewing on this thread and show a bit of transparency into how I personally do things around here.

My Current Going Rates:

• NPC Possession (max 15 min) – 10e (+1e for each minute going over)
  • Concept Advice on Discord (max 1h) -  50e
  • Discussing Server Rules or Gameworld Atmosphere/Lore to a New Player 15e/hour
  • Discussing Server Rules or Gameworld Atmosphere/Lore to a Veteran Player 100e/hour, minimum of 25e charged for any rule breaking requiring conversation of any length
  • PvP Supervision (max 1h) – 35e
  • Personal DM Loot Piece 50e for the first one, with 50e increments for each additional loot piece beyond the first.
  • Public DM Quest (max 3h, max party size 8 ) - 150e
  • Private DM Quest (max 3h, max party size 8 ) – 250e
  • Epic Public DM Quest (min 4 hours, max 12h, max party size 10) – 750e. Additional 25e will be charged for each custom piece of loot provided at the end of the quest.
  • Epic Private DM Quest (min 4 hours, max 12h, max party size 10) – 1000e. Additional 45e will be charged for each custom piece of loot provided at the end of the quest.
  • Meta Plot Quests and Interactions 150e/hour
  • Server Wide Events 100e/hour
  • Other transactions are negotiable case by case.
I believe my hourly rates are quite reasonable compared to what you'd pay for instance when visiting a medical doctor. Becoming an EfU Dungeon Master has indeed taken years of studying, training and mentally preparing for the profession – it is a workplace that constantly requires one to follow the change of tides in the practice and keep up with the new, cutting edge technology.

My blacklist of players to whom I will under no circumstances run anything is quite short (You know who you are) so don't feel afraid to contact me and we can work something out.

About transactions?

As long as the agreed sum appears on my paypal account no later than one (1) week after the delivered content, I consider it successfully handled. If you make a transaction in other currency than Euros, make sure that the amount is within 1% of the current exchange rate on https://www.xe.com/ on the day that the money shows on my account.

It is your responsibility to make sure the sum matches the agreed on the day of exchange. Failure to deposit the agreed sum in timely manner will result in 20% delay fee based on the total sum on top of the missing amount. There will be no refunds of any kind under any circumstances.

I didn't see any mention of a rate for ghost DMing.  I haven't been around for a couple months, unfortunately, and I'd really appreciate if we could work out an arrangement that gives the illusion I'm still active.  My blacklist currently includes everyone, but you could just use yours, and I doubt anyone would be the wiser.  Hit me up on Discord.

Pandip

I think a lot of the concerns and sentiments in this thread are pretty well-founded and valid. After coming back from vacation, I've had a lack of motivation to play my (forgettable, irrelevant) PC for a wide variety of reasons, not least of which is the feeling of stagnation.

In the past, I've been a pretty vocal "the server is on its death bed if the DMs don't step up!" doomsayer, but the reality is that EFU has its phases and lulls and this is just an era of inactivity. I don't necessarily agree with some of the broader statements here, but I also don't think it's particularly productive to quote people and argue with their points in an attempt to prove them wrong or get snippy. Ultimately, there are people who have the perception that there is something wrong and that perception is prevalent and driving enough to make it worth paying attention to.

VP's post has some excellent advice on how to approach these periods of inactivity. Try a different perspective. Play a likable PC. Maybe avoid being too overzealous or committed to a particular ideal. Sometimes it's good to play a minion and support smaller, PC factions, especially when the "big three" DM factions aren't regularly driving plots. That variety or change of pace can be good for inspiration. Alternatively, if you're a player that typically bandwagons or joins the PCs like Vaughan or Alice or whoever else, maybe sit down to hash out a detailed character and concept and be that loud, proud, unabashed PC putting together a faction.

I would strongly recommend that people try something outside of the three major factions right now, though.

If I had to bring the DM's attention to one particular issue I've had in recent times, it's that the major factions seem to have become extremely insular with the intention of having them push towards their respective, end of chapter goals. Unfortunately, this insularity has put PCs heavily aligned with each faction's goals in an awkward position as DM activity experiences a lull and these "extremely important" goals have no way of being completed without supervision and the attitude of completing them at the expense of all other efforts has permeated through not only the possessed NPCs, but the PCs as well.

tl;dr, take a break, try something new or out of your comfort zone, or facilitate the change you want to see in the server.

Empress of Neon

With the epic grand finale that was chapter 4 and the arrival of an entirely new setting in the sheer fascinating madhouse that is chapter 5, I formally and shamelessly eat my own words and make it known for the record I am happy to have returned to play on efu, flaws on all. Feel free to lock the thread :)

Spartan

Could you add that edit to the top of the original post? There is a lot of excitement and buzz around v5 (and right so). I would hate for new players to see this post and think it was directed at the current state of the server.