[Nathaniel's written thoughts.]

Started by zerotje, April 01, 2024, 09:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerotje

[The journal of Nathaniel lays privately hidden.]

NATHANIEL BLACKVALE

This book exists for me to process my thoughts. I feel clarity after I've written my thoughts, they become easier to memorise. Furthermore, it is a great way to process my emotions. I don't reckon I'll have many earnest friends in this path I've set foot on. Even if I felt I did, I'm convinced they'd fall victim to lures and spill all my beans. So I've none to count on and none to speak my genuine thoughts to.

Ephia's Well is a viper nest. It lacks the larger than life figures I've met in the wastes and in the other cities I've (briefly) visited. These are killers, hardened politicians, snakes. The Prince of Qadira appears not the same, he's driven by emotion and ambition. I'm not saying it's the best course to make it across the sea, but I am saying it makes for a far more entertaining life. He has a soul. I don't know if I could say the same for most others. Still, it's early, perhaps too early, for me to judge Ephians so. But first impressions stick a while.

What I find most odd is my ability to remain this harmonious despite my most sudden entrance onto the political landscape and being given a prestigious title as ''High Merchant''. Even the Vizier of Ephia's Well addressed me as thus, obviously to please the Prince and not I, but still... Not. Too. Shabby.

zerotje

It appears the prestige granted by my title is rather low at the moment. For the Court grows and everyone is granted an exaggarated title. It devalues what I have! For a day, I was the Prince's wisest advisor. Now there's this highly clever, highly competent, "Dragon" or "Wyrm of Avarice"... He's going to steal ALL the attention that should rightfully go to me. And this DWARF? What a DWARF? He called me a suckup and a toadie. For speaking to a Prince with refined speech and dignity. The Prince did not regard me as such, but did say that false compliments aren't necessary. I agree with that wholeheartedly royal prince! Excellently well put. Superb.

The Ephian diplomats and advisors are trying to diminish the Prince's reach and reputation and currently they are succeeding at that. It would be a mark of competence and something I could respect, if it wasn't for the fact that they are cutting off their own legs. Isn't it obvious that the embargo hurts them alot? They're being dismissive about it. Why? Pride? All they need to do is play to the Prince's wants and needs and please him to a point he drops his ludicrous demand and offer an acceptable alternative. Then, relations could be mended, the embargo can be lifted without loss of reputation on Qadira's end.

See I am much more adept at this than any of those blunderers. I would've solved Ephia's Well's crisis and forged alliance with Qadira with a snap of my fingers. Simple! Maybe I'll offer them some advice. Play abit of both sides. All I need to forge is a reputation, then I could perhaps sway with the winds. Who knows what direction it'll blow? As long as nothing violent happens, I think this is great for my reputation and business.

I pray Agaslakku gazes elsewhere because the last thing I need to happen is for this Prince or the Court to turn to violence and get me executed for treason or anything like that!! Please not. Please.

zerotje

I'm covered in grime! I'm covered in sand! I'm covered in blood! SOME OF IT MY OWN!!!
All day, every day, I'm DRAGGED into the desert by FORCE!

I am a NOBLE MAN and I deserve a retinue. Why am I shooting my bow at Goblins?
GOBLINS?

This is all incredibly below me!! But the Prince encourages me to push on and become a worthy reaver.
Perhaps following tail of a PIRATE wasn't the brightest idea on the Disc.

HOWEVER... I am gaining COIN and PRESTIGE. So long as nobody notices the stains, the blood and the smell the horrendous smell...

Maybe I can cheat my way out.

zerotje

A fantastic manevoure mane manoeuvre by the legend that is me.
^Yet another

The cold arrogance at display with these deadinside politicians is so infuriating. They clearly thought I was a god damned idiot. Jokes on them. Coin equals power! Outside their little talking circles... There are many men that would do anything for coin! It's not my goal to look good in the eyes of these horrible people. It's my goal to take all of the dinar!! As much as possible! And that's why it is a success despite the facts. All I do is win.

Enough about that. More importantly, I have had a day of entertainment for once. Yes. I have shot a rare and noble beast right through the head. It was GLORIOUS. It was a shot like no other. From a distance! It is said that the King and nobles of old were great hunters. I can count myself amongst them now.

That Royal Ookapi stood no chance against my skill. I think I will hunt more of them. Maybe I could attempt it without Osric and Iskandar holding the animal down this time. But... Well, then it becomes a hassle.

zerotje

They do not understand my mannerisms are purposeful. I am testing everyone around me and more importantly their loyalty. If they cannot handle me and if they cannot handle showing a bit of righteous servitude to our Prince who is of Royal blood, they are liable to betray us. Competency is an important measure but not the most important measure. That is and always will be loyalty.

Such I am glad to have uprooted Gedwyr's treachery early. He isn't of the Court, but I remember the conversations he was a part of inside Bashir's the Prince's manse. Clearly he is unsuited to hear such delicate manners.

Aside from him... I expected the Dragon (ridiculous title for a ridiculous man) to be liable to rebellion and defiance because of his massive ego. But he is thus far showing himself a capable asset.

But I must be wary of the Prince's associates not gaining too much favor because it'd jeopardize my own position and potentional reward. I must remain his favorite advisor no matter the cost.

Elsewise I'll gather as much information as possible and just sell it to the Consulate or something. As long as I win, it doesn't matter.

Writing these entries feels good. Keeps my mind off from what I saw.

I saw nothing.

zerotje

Maybe I should kill the Prince of Qadira.

zerotje

The lack of recognition for my top-notch politicking is aggravating. It becomes apparent that the Prince lacks the mental acuity to realise the importance to weed out insubordination. Were it fully up to Arjuna, he'd be surrounded by brute louts who beam disloyalty simply because he recognises Qadira in them. There are threats to his power in many of the men that surround him. Yet it is me that he distrusts, because of my brilliant courtly expertise and lack of swinging big sword. The brute does not understand. I will have to make him see truth, elsewise all my effort is for naught. I am in this for Dinars and for Prestige. Qadira-by-the-Sea is nothing but a glorified dock.

zerotje

It's unbelievable the sacrifices I make for the betterment of Ephia's Well. I defy the wishes of my Royal Prince for them and attempted to create possibilities and ways forward. Despite my efforts, it is all in vain and is in my estimation the failure of Ephians.

They are met with a Prince of Royal blood who is clearly a brute and has plenty ego (but rightfully so as nobility). He hails from Qadira, a land of freeroamers, corsairs, bandits and other such scum.

Their initial diplomacy suggests a tactic of not taking him serious and putting him down a notch. I won't pretend that I know why because really I don't. Even if this is a stage of exploration and if they were not yet informed of the fact the Prince's father is ten times more unreasonable than this man, it is far too risky to earn the Prince's ire.

Which they definitely earned. The Prince felt scorned and mistreated, that while Qadira-on-the-Sea was already the insulted party on the account of Sergeant Samton & cohorts illegal invasion of Qadira to apprehend a murderer- and the ensuing failed diplomacy of Legate Nasreen. Oh and I remember fondly the time I spoke to Legate Cadaver one-on-one and he said ''Qadira has no law, of course we invaded this sovereign nation to apprehend a murderer what is there to complain about?" okay Cadaver, sure. Makes sense....

Once they learned the Prince is capable of moving Qadira in a manner of benefit to Ephia's Well, they began negotiating in earnest. I counseled to treat the Prince, Royalty, with respect and stroke his ego, so that wounds unnecessarily caused may begin healing over time and a charm campaign would've worked nicely. There's always the chance that this could backfire into larger demands but if I had to make an educated guess, manipulating the Prince through this manner would've been effective.

Instead they resume insults, call him unreasonable, yell at him, delay negotiations, even during clear flares of emotion from the Prince, they say ''The cogs turn slowly. I can't schedule." the Prince wishes a Council position. Rather than saying it is granted on the conditions of this or that, the answer is ''I am a Legate but my hands are tied''. When the Prince utters words of warning and even utters the word WAR (a catastrophy) he is met with ''be patient, you can't just barge into my schedule''... "Ugh the Prince keeps changing his demands"... Well of course he does, he's getting pissed the Hells off. The Prince is no politician! He is no negotiator! And he definitely NOT a subject of Ephia's Well! YOU are meant to be the professional. These demands wouldn't come and go, if certain people kept their ugly traps shut! If certain people made quicker pace and avoided scorn. But that is not the objective, the objective is- piss Qadira off to the maximum they are capable of and definitely not take Qadira seriously. Imagine if they did, pirate scum? Ah-ha-ha, posh librarian laughter! Let's see who laughs when Iakmes makes short work of Ephia's Well and the Qadirans maybe launch a raid or two. You stupid imbecible imbred undeserving cadaver idiot of a once-man!

Vizier Bashir and the few Sisters attempted charm and attempted to be reasonable. Even if Bashir at times was quite neutral and boring in his demeanor, he was the best of them.

All of this could have easily been resolved if Ephia's Well's tactics weren't so insulting and based on their ego, their pride, their religion.

The Court's spies, the Prince, threatened my life in my own home. For my attempts at diplomacy, they noted I am working much more in favor of Ephia's Well than Qadira. And that I speak ill or at least not with the positive grandeur I usually exhibit, of the Prince of Qadira. It is all true! But I hid and lied well and managed to survive through it. Nonetheless, it came close. Too close. Closer than I'd ever wanted.

I pissed, literally, myself and found myself crying and drinking myself to sleep after the fact. Now I write this entry...

I give up on Ephia's Well. If they want to scorn the Prince of Qadira and ruin everything with clumsy self-absorbed diplomatic ''strategy'' (they have no strategy) they are free to pursue this course into the Maelstrom and find themselves at the bottom with the pearls.

Legate Balstan will be a great boon to the Qadiran cause. If Marcellus is the only obstacle, well... Obstacles can be removed. Qadira shall win in grand fashion, it is unavoidable with this government.

See if you cannot have the Sultan send you reinforcements to defend you. He probably will pull you out of the burning fire, out of necessity. Purples exhibit this attitude, Sultan will save us, we don't need Qadira. DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE SULTAN DOES NOT WISH FOR THIS? THAT YOU WOULD DISSAPOINT HIM. THAT YOU WOULD HAVE DONE HIM DISSERVICE? HE IS OCCUPIED!!!!! PISSING OFF YOUR RULER IS THAT SOMETHING TO BRAG ABOUT?

What would the Sultan rather, you butter up Qadira and have Qadiran spend resources on the defense of Ephia's Well or you insult Qadira because they don't Sultan scrape enough? BY THE WHEEL.

I levy the greatest possible insult to the incompetent and disgustingly arrogant Ephian government. Orcs and Qadira devour you all, I do not care!

zerotje

I think I have a brilliant idea for Qadira.

zerotje

Why don't we conscript the unwashed peasants that were invading Ephia's Well like a plague before? We'd solve two crisis in one fell stroke. And why not send some suicide astronomers to pact themselves and reak absolute destruction on the costs of their not-that-valueable lives?

zerotje

The adventure of an illegal book.

There once was an illegal book that details pottery. An innocent hobby, I thought, but, it is the means to obtaining something of significance that could allow one to descend into a domain of indestructible beings that specifically hate Marcellus the Legate. Funny.

In any case, there it was, the book, at the end of our heavy toiled victory over Hobgoblin kind. A sad small little Janissary (cannot see if it's a Gnome or Hin but by how annoying he was probably both) wanted to confiscate this book. He was determined, bound by duty, upholding the law. Until a man with warpaint said "no you can't do that" and so all the courage this miserable crettin mustered dissapeared like Frostport snow before Pra'raj.

Then rolled a few dices, who to hold the book? Me! Nathaniel Blackvale, criminal mastermind.

The little miserable Janissary Gnome-Hin hybrid of ultimate bother saw my weak little muscles and decided that INFACT he shall confiscate it. But only when we're in Ephia's Well because imagine if he doesn't have backup and he has to enforce the law himself that'd be quite a little teeny weeny difficult for little Janny Jan.

I tried to ask the Banda Rossan how much coin she'd take to beat up the Janissary but she refused because Banda Rossans aren't mercenaries they're Sultan loving peace agents that own a tavern. But I digress.

Upon the road back to Ephia's Well we encountered a Lizardfolk warband, with some of their biggest and strongest kind. My allies charged them bravely, the Janissary lagged behind and was the last (beside me) to enter the fray of course. I drank invisibility and dashed past everyone to Ephia's Well, clutching my greedy grubby hands onto this highly illegal book that details how to do pottery.

I ran into the Krak des Roses in search of anyone I could trust- lo and behold- the worst possible option out of that pool of individuals. Osric "perpeptually old and cranky" Locke of the "Warrior" (he's too old to fight). I tossed him the book and ran back to the roads invisible. Then I came across my company, entered the back of the line and revealed myself.

I was there the whole time!! I was simply sneaking!! (Criminal mastermind - I told you).

Then we entered through the Sand Gate and the little mouse squeeked (read this with your most dweebish voice) "I'm gunna search yuu!" and I cooperated fully. I did not have the book. And he could not charge me.

And then I got paid by the government for telling the government that Osric was given the book whilst he already hid it somewhere and they searched him and couldn't find it either.

This was all absolutely unnecessary but I made coin and had a few laughs.

zerotje

With Bashir leaving his position as Vizier I feel like my own progress was reset. I was invested into the little bugger... I understand his actions however, wish I had the luxury of success, riches and adoration of crowds to be able to amicably quit. However I am quite sure that my head would be cut off in a Qadiran tavern and roll off if I ever did stop serving Prince Arjuna Namahedu.

There is the avenue to butter up Legate Balstan and or the War Council. I will soft pursue it, but as time progresses, it's looking more and more like I have only the Prince of Qadira to depend on to progress. A dire circumstance, since I do not want to live in Qadira. Nor am I convinced the man actually respects me, he only understands strength and violence. Stupid stones for brain...

zerotje

I'm writing this drunk in the morning. Hopefully I'm sober when it's midday and nobody tries rouse me before that, but, otherwise I'll just hide. People don't expect me to be attuned with the shadows but I am to a degree, one of the positives of being a merchant is the ability to purchase first-rate articles for personal use.

Well, that was a boring paragraph, clearly I am hesitant to get to the point. Death or Greatness. The End or The Beginning. It all rides on my ability to slither past the traps layed before me. The Prince? He might kill me yet. But he does seem to act upon my advice. I'm certain his time in Ephia's Well and his interactions with the politicians of this snake pit have made him more paranoid, bitter and cynical. I doubt he trusts anyone of us completely. Though perhaps he does the Warrior zealots. Simple men who appreciate violence. Just like the Prince himself, but I accept that, I do not mind that. He isn't a Castlebred, he is the son of a mighty corsair admiral who took over a portcity in rebellion. Violence took his father far and he assumes it'll be like that for him also. It makes sense.

The Ephians in the government I worked with have acted irresponsibly and heeded not my warnings. I told them that when Balstan reached office, terms would begin to favor Qadira over Ephia's Well. Perhaps the terms are agreeable to most the government, but, is it the maximum gain they could've achieved? Not. By. A. Long. Shot. With Balstan the pressure is off.

It is hillarious to hear Marcellus attempt to expell Prince Namahedu *after* Balstan was elected into office to block his efforts. While if it was still him and Nasreen, they would have much more easily succeeded. Thus, it is either a bluff for I don't know what reason, or incompetence. In the case of Marcellus, definitely incompetence.

Of course it's entirely possible the advices I have given to my intermediate did not make it to higher echelons because the intermediate was a demotivated coward. On the other hand, Marcellus probably does nothing with advice, hardheaded and useless mark him in my eyes. Hope someone kills him before he ruins more alliances. He should have just taken a career as field general in the warcouncil and surrender his Legate position. Red Hill is an exemplary victory, will give him that.

I am still writing of the past, I notice now.

My latest decisions are questionable at best, very drastic also, but they were necessary, if I want to come out of this alive and successful.

I must admit I am improvising most of the time...
The situation keeps changing drastically each week...

What the Hells did I tell the Prince in the tavern?
That was self-preservation and self-interest.  But the consequences of my words could be uhm, well, bad.

UGH.

I'm going to die and I don't want to.

Let's distract myself... Ah, Gedwyr, that was funny. Came all smug at my stall, accusing me of selling Darius his old equipment and that the Janissaries would be asking questions bla-bla. Everyone already knows Darius tragically died on Luca Ferra. Yes, I took his equipment and went to pawn it off in my stall. The man doesn't have starving children or anything in his will. It's questionable morals to sell a dead man's old belongings but well, it's not illegal!

And that's the point. Lieutenant Colmes came, saw, noticed, heard, and did nothing. I had an outstanding fine for a 1,000, Colmes announced thusly in the sweaty Dwarf's presence, who probably uttered a slimey HREH HREH in joy- but- I talked the fine away. So, did not pay nothing. Then, I successfully sold some of Darius his best stuff for many thousands of coin.

So... what did Gedwyr achieve? Nothing. Hahaha. I love this...
He did ask the Lieutenant boldly in my face how much value he could steal before it became a capital crime.
That's a threat.

Do I care enough.... probably not. I have much more important things to see to...

I have to remember how this petty squabble started- I called him uncouth after he called me a suckup.
Is that really worth anything...

No... but, it *is* fine entertainment... and his continued failures are wonderful reminders of my own excellence.

Of course, trying to have me investigated and tried for a capital crime, is not nothing...
Maybe he could have an accident on Luca Ferra, and I could sell Gedwyr's old equipment.

That would be ironic.

Who else do I hate in a petty way?

Ah yes, Alejandro. Demanded 10,000 for a song about Prince Arjuna Namahedu. Clearly insulting my intelligence and the Prince simultaneously. Small man. Then he offered me 1,000 for a rather valueable exclusive item I dare not mention in this journal. Then also for the elemental ring, which he said was mundane and common. Well, someone's bought it for five times his offer, so again, his ignorance in clear display. However, I remember these little incidents, I have the memory of a Groknak!

So! I reported him to the Janissaries for his illegal purchase attempt. I reported him to the Prince for his insults to him. Hope it causes them to distrust his service on the warcouncil and tarnish his reputation.

He probably doesn't even care or remember these interactions with me- but that does not matter. I do. And people should be taught to respect me.

And this Argent, the Dragon, he clearly expresses superiority over me. Calls himself a Dragon. Makes constant comparisons of himself to actual Dragons, like he's able to fly off into the sky and breath fire over Iakmes or something. A ridiculous notion, he is a small man with some tattoos and casts mundane magic. Pathetic really, to witness someone think so highly of themselves. Equal to Prince Arjuna Namahedu he considers himself. Really? You're not the son of the Maharaja, Dragon, and you're not a Dragon either. But well done, slimed his way to Prelate, kissing the coaldust off of Balstan's arse. What's it with Dwarves in this settlement? They're so successful for no reason while they're just a bunch of glorified miners that lost their only home of Kulkund. They're just refugees. They've lost.

In any regard, made sure the Prince is most distrustful of the Dragon. Serves him right, stupid egomaniac. You think you're better than me? Nobody is better than me. Perhaps I expressed I was nervous and scared of my recent actions but I know for certain I shall thrive and survive everything and I can't say the same for the likes of him, who make of themselves such obvious targets! Gellema blesses my lies! My subtlety!

Miranda of the Sagebrush had me pay 1,000 for information that boiled down to: "its dangerous down there" & "no treasure there". Even a child could have told me this, I'm going to strangle your gull.

Ah and that Sergeant... Samton? Said he "Knows what kind of man" I am during an Assembly. Calling me a liar, a fraud, small, he deemed himself superior in the moment. Mghm... I haven't yet done anything to hurt him back. Infact, undeservedly, I have negotiated in his FAVOR of all things, only to ensure the terms of the agreement are acceptable to Ephia's Well. But he did not deserve it. I must find a way to get back at him. Maybe I'll poison his stupid Camel.

AND ANOTHER BAG OF CAMEL DUNG... The "RAT"... Ugly pale little crettin that told the Prince Arjuna Namahedu that I spoke poorly of him during clear successful diplomacy with Marcellus and Bashir. Made Arjuna hold a cutlass to my throat figuratively. And continously speaks poorly of me to my face, to watch myself, that he watches me, what have you. If he goes too far, he'll definitely be killed by my hand. I cannot have this little monster whisper dark words into my Prince's ears to sow doubt about me. I am the most loyal member that ever graced this court. Rat, you ugly bastard, I am on your case like nobody else. I'll twist your head off! And devour your coinpurse after you've bled to death. Don't doubt it! Hmgh... maybe that was a bit much. Nonetheless... I'm on you, though you've behaved as of lately... there's a slither of hope for you.

Mm... these last few paragraphs really made me feel better. A good reminder that I am born and bred to succeed where others fail.
I am the best merchant-diplomat-snake that ever graced this settlement in the history of the Disc.

zerotje

[This particular entry is completely separate from his neat leather journal. Because Nathaniel Blackvale is writing it on poor quality souk paper, inside of a janissary prison cell.]

Dear Journal,

I cannot write everything I want freely because the chance someone reads this is present. Though one must consider what there is to do inside of a prison cell for four days straight. The Janissaries make for poor company, exception being Daoud. Samton beats me. Some unknown Halfling sergeant calls me "Shit" and rips my cloak. Colmes is all business. Legate Balstan seized my properties without trial. Without doubt, my properties are bought up by others. And the forty pieces of wares I left in the Tradehall now belong to someone else. I had ten chests in my home, that is 5,000 dinar. I had a black crate in my Tradehall, that is 500 dinar. The tradehall price itself I have forgotten, but I believe it was 7,500. The house price I've forgotten also, I think 3,000 but let's be on the safe side and say it's 2,000. My wares, including legendary artefacts, should at minimum be valued around 20,000 to 30,000 dinar. This makes the damage Legate Balstan inflicted on me amount to...

35,000 to 45,000 dinar lost for no reason.

I shan't detail my thoughts or plans to remedy my situation whilst I am guest to the Janissaries. But, despite this setback, I know that through my cunning and guile I shall succeed regardless.

It could be worse. I could be dead for example. Something I can't relate with. Ha.

zerotje

Everything is on fire.

Luckily there is enough water in this well.

Everyone seems to believe threatening me is enough to secure my loyalty.
That my ambitions are so low that all I want to accomplish is to survive.

If I was so risk averse, would I have joined Arjuna Namahedu's gang of corsairs in the first place?
If I valued my life over realising my potentional?

All these people who threatened me, beat me with the stick, aren't even holding up a carrot.
They screw me over.

Now I am returning the favor.

Days, weeks. months, years from now, I will look back to it with joyful nostalgia. Wine in hand, sitting near a warm hearth.

There's always the next gang, the next faction, the next employer and the next settlement.
I shall scurry until at long last, I meet employer with sense in their head, if they exist.