In Memory of Wern8

Started by alphabits, April 27, 2012, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash

Oh man. I didn't see this until just now. I'm at a loss at what to say.

I've been playing with Wern8 since... Probably 2004 if I remember correctly. He has always been a friend. We were even timezone buddies while I was living in Japan.

I'll miss him. Rest in peace, Wern8.

Nufferz

RIP Wern. Know that your personality and charm are among the unforgettable memories I have from efu. Take care.

Long live Fignar Ironbeard and Oberon Whitecloak. In another world, we took down Ortred.

BoneScreech

Rest in Peace Wern. May we not despair in your passing but let us celebrate and honour the good memories and times you brought joy into our lives.

Amen.

TheMacPanther

I knew Wern for a bit, but one of the fondest memories goes back to the Iron Halo when, as René Durand, I had my first chance of playing with him on a regular basis. Marcel and Wern were throughout the entire experience friends, rivals, role models and, in the end, heroes. This was at a time when I was just returning to EFU and was not sure if I wanted to continue. It was Wern and the rest of the crew who really cemented me into playing again.

To be honest until recently I had little knowledge of the severity of his ailment, and his passing saddens me to no end. To know that he was happy until the end makes me smile for him, that it was with little pain makes me relieved. EFU and the world has lost one of its great people.

Thank you Wern8.

Echigo

holy shit.... Wern can't be gone.... :\

This is the most terrible news I've heard in years...

I don't even know what to say to all of this...

May Valhall treat him well. He will be sorely missed and greatly honoured.
meth

The Old Hack

Wern8 was one of the first friends I made on the server when I stumbled onto it. He was a great player, a great DM and his passing is a terrible loss. My condolences to his family. :/

Underbard

This is the kind of tragedy that should make us all reflect on ourselves and ultimately, aspire to be more like him.

God bless and rest in Peace Wern8.

Echigo

I'mma cry, man... :[
meth

SN

Ugh, I'm scouring through the forums after a long absence ..

There's one word I could use that would describe Wern most: Inspiring.

Wern, RIP.

Garem

Just learned about your passing, old friend. With the host of others returning like me... I thought some of the other veterans-on-leave would want to know this.

Wern8 was a fantastic man. Never an unkind word for anyone, despite his enormous personal challenges. He was one of the best of us in every regard.

I had the great fortune of having many phenomenal conversations on faith and theology with Wern8, and we shared a great affection for the writings of C.S. Lewis. This was a truly generous and loving man. I'm extremely grateful to have had that great relationship as storytellers as well as one man of faith to another.

We miss you, buddy.

Letsplayforfun

Heroes never die, they just go on a last adventure. Rest in peace, Wern.

Pup

I don't care for this.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

Ommadawn

This news shocked and saddened me, even though it is old news for most of you now. Wern8 was an integral part of EfU to me, and his characters always inspired me to play better myself.

I knew he was unwell back then (EfU, then the surface), but never the full details. Knowing now, it makes his memory all the more inspiring.

Rest in peace, Wern8. You will be missed for a long time to come.

Luke Danger

RIP, Wern8.

The world's a dimmer place without you.

Pup

The reason I don't care for this is that I loved my debates with Wern8 about God and the afterlife.  So I break down crying whenever I read this post. (for which are now brutally obvious reasons) I don't mean to be rude to the rest of you.

I miss you, Wern8
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals