Alchemist Fire Epiphany

Started by xXCrystal_Rose, February 14, 2013, 03:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xXCrystal_Rose

A gallon of water at 20 degrees C is approximatley 8.3 pounds. I'll round it to 8. An IG bucket of water weights 35 pounds including the bucket. This can be rounded to say that a 'bucket' of water that we are carrying holds 4 gallons within it.

A barrel of alchemist fire is 45.5 pounds. The barrel is round, wooden, and about chest height for most PCs. This is the proportion that you might expect a wine barrel to look at. An oaken wine barrel of these dimensions is 120 pounds empty and holds 59 gallons, and is about 600 pounds when full of wine. We're on Ymph so we use magical super light wood to make the barrel, unless alchemist fire is in fact lighter than air, as questioned below.

So including the weight of the bucket, 4 gallons of water is 35 pounds. Including the weight of the barrel, approximatley 59 gallons of alchemist fire is 45.5 pounds.

Someone want to do the math comparing alchemist fire density to water density here and see if alchemist fire is actually lighter than air? I think it just might be.

Lord Byron

I am not converting imperial into metric.