Ticker Square Overhaul

Started by Tulwyn, February 29, 2020, 08:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulwyn

Hey guys, so I don't know if I'm the only one but I find Ticker Square as it is right now a very dull place that I think pushes away a lot of potential with a very large fee for what is, in the end, not exactly a huge boon for 20k. I think what Ticker Square needs is a dynamic system in place that encourages progression and rising up the chain of Ticker Square's trifling merchants and politics. If anyone wants to suggest or comment on something, go right ahead! Let's shoot some ideas to make Ticker Square great again. My only suggestion right now is this;

That Ticker Square have three stages of assimilation and influence in the town.

1. Guild Protection Papers
Having Guild Protection Papers makes you a local and a resident of the town- you have the right to protection and the right to trade in the Square. You are not considered a citizen (much like you are not considered a proper Peer until you achieve nobility or some sort of proper status).

2. Ticker Square Citizenship Papers
These would cost between 8,000 and 12,000 groats. It would grant you the right to own land/property in Ticker Square (claim the strongholds), but not the right to vote in the guild hall or any of the boons a guildmember would have. You are considered a rightful citizen of Ticker Square.

3. Guild Membership Papers
As they already are, these cost 20,000. It would grant you the right to both own and tax land/property in Ticker Square (if you have the followers to enforce that!). You are also the de-facto members of the Lower House/the Lower Trade Council, an entirely player-led council that has the say on trade taxes, property taxes and a proper vote in the Guild House. From amongst the council (the entire list of PCs who have guild membership), a vote can be called every month to appoint a First Citizen or some sort of First Magistrate (sort of like the Ponds moot, entirely player organized). This would make guild members interact with each other more, and have to interact with more of the population. It is an idea that the citizens could also vote for the First Magistrate/Citizen, but that might be too many players at once? But it could be fun! The First Magistrate's duties would be more formality than anything; to announce any passed motions of the council and to arrange civil events such as festivities, etc, market days. This would give Ticker Square players more influence and control over Ticker politics. The Peerage has its Banner and influential Banner House, I think Ticker Square needs some form of this order.

That's all I can think of right now. I think the biggest thing is guild members need more avenues of affecting their surroundings that is beyond just their imagination. Ticker Square needs to feel more like a thriving and bustling market town, and needs more aspects of the liberties and light republican vibes it's heeded for. Anyone have any other ideas?

KaedweniKnight

Good suggestion, I always thought there should be something above regular guildmember, for those that want to try to be the player head of the square, or atleast more of a politican.  More conflict, and more intrigue for that place would be a splendid idea.

derkot

Ticker Square Citizenship Paper idea sounds nice in general. I like the idea what the Merchant Guild can take even more gold to give some not much meaningful papers what perhaps can give you a few bonuses and puts your character somewhere between dirty awoken and respected a memember of the Guild.

What another important thing I have to suggest - it is to add one or two alternative routes between Ticker Square and Commons. Hatch into Drips in one of alleys? Hidden Door/Hatch?  Something that perhaps can use small-sized races? Something limited to few classes? Something for a gold? Many options surely but it was many times pointed out in Discord what when it comes to pvp, Ticker Square is a great fortress with a single rout. Knaves, thieves and other sorts of outcasts/monsters characters always making their way through Open Door.
Радостное одиночество.