Rotating Day/Night cycle

Started by Egon the Monkey, September 08, 2008, 04:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

I like the day/night idea, but with 12hrs for each IG day, you'll always get day or night on your usual play time. That means half of us are going to have it a lot harder with the Nightrisers.

However, if you set it to say, 5 hour cycles, that won't happen. Each day, daybreak will be at a different time, nightfall at a different time, as 24 doesn't divide by 5.

So, your normal play time won't always be either day or night, letting everyone see both sides of the module.

Hammerfist0

Agree. Would make all timezones feel equally normal.

Egon the Monkey

Oh, never mind. One of the DMs said it was 12 hrs on IRC.

Mort

Yes. It wont always be Night for Euro-players.

Jarpie

Bringing up this topic... I think that day/night cycle should a bit faster, say, something like 6 hours. Nicer for us euro/aussie/etcplayers :)

DenGrasse

i think, EfUA time is comprimated :-) on server, whre i play too, is time comprimated 1:5-6, so that day/night is only 2+ hours IRC.

Goblin Butcher

Personally I'd prefer if day/night toggled every 2 hours, as it stands I have never seen daylight for longer than 2-3 hours and my character on efu:a has a play time of 19 hours 43 minutes. I've seen day with him twice, doesn't really add up >.>

Snoteye

Quote from: Mort;85407Yes. It wont always be Night for Euro-players.

As a matter of fact, I did the maths yesterday. One cycle is 12 hours of day followed by 12 hours of night. One hour is 30 minutes, making two cycles, or 48 hours, in one day. That means you will always see the world in the same light unless you can vary your playtime, a luxury few of us have.

Garem

Can this be changed to the originally intended daylight/nighttime structure, or are you implying that it's just this way and staying this way?

And does this effect the resting timer?

Snoteye

It's the way things are, not the way they have to stay. And it has no impact on resting, really, except you have to wait five more minutes then previously.

Meldread

I should point out that it seems dawn begins to break at Hour 6.  The Nightrisers don't seem to disappear until sometime during Hour 7 or at the start of Hour 8.  It is clearly daytime by then.

My PC, a Cleric of Amaunator, was standing atop the Ziggurat, healing the wounded, curing diseases and encouraging everyone there to pray to the rising sun.  My PC pointed out that now that night had clearly ended (it was clearly daylight) the Nightrisers were destroyed.

Someone ventured off then came back with a Nightriser Commander in toe - chasing them all the way up the Ziggurat.  It nearly killed them and several other people before we were able to put it down - despite the fact that it was clearly daytime!

ExileStrife

As far as the 12 day/night cycle goes, it was not intended to be like this and was only realized today.  This is changing to how we originally wanted it: a rolling day/night cycle so people with only one strict playtime will be able to experience times across the board.

Chances are, in-game hours are going to be 27 real-life minutes long now.  We're also going to make days longer than nights and see how that feels for the time being.