Druid dips

Started by Scrappa-yeti, May 19, 2020, 02:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrappa-yeti

Especially after the (now revoked) tanglebag change, there was lots of talks of druid dips. There is a lot of utility in level 1 and 2 druids, which makes them a tempting dip class, which, I suspect, is probably not desirable.

Since we have total control over class feats now, maybe if we moved Woodland Stride and Nature's Sense to level six it would make it a more serious investment?

VanillaPudding

It's fine. That's kind of the point of multiclassing is the give and take of it. You get some things, you lose others!

Egon the Monkey

Multiclassing as a druid gives a lot but also takes a lot. Even from a Ranger.
- No metal armour.
- No non-druidic weaponry (Although if you use 1h weapons or are small, sticking with a scimitar is no great loss).
- Rejection of civilised norms.
- Bound by the edicts of Druid circles.
- Heavy prejudice against known druids.

It's not much of a loss if you are already a cardPainted bit of birch bark-carrying member of Team Nature anyway. The only issue I can see is that it means you get some powerful "always-on" Druid powers without having to rely on the abilities that signal (to varying degrees) "Oh no, it's a Druid". Like using Wildshape or casting Barkskin.

For example, Barbarian Movement + entangle/web/grease immunity plus +1AB overall in wilderness areas (as you lose full BAB when you take Druid) + Divine wands seems a bit strong. Especially as only taking 2 Druid levels means you can still have 2 Furors if you hit L9. Although TBH the best bit of Woodland Stride is "running around in your own AOE debuffs hitting people" and a multiclass can't really do that unless their other class is an Ooze Cleric or a Wizard.

I think moving Woodland Stride to L4 might be worth it, but I think it comes down to how much the DMs like the idea of low-key druids. Because the IC restrictions on druids are pretty hefty, and the main reason I'd take 2 druid levels is "avoid reliance on Druid powers and spy on people"