Constant Crashing - NWN on a Windows 10 VM via Parallels

Started by Howlando, January 10, 2018, 04:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howlando

When I am running NWN (single player, DM client, EFU or any other module) it crashes 100% of the time when transitioning from an area. Essentially it gets stuck on "unloading area" and then after a minute or two crashes to desktop.

I run NWN on a Windows 10 Virtual Machine through the application Parallels Desktop on a 2016 MacBook Pro.

I've tried - a lot of things - to try to solve this issue. Next on my list is probably to remove Windows 10 altogether and make a new Windows 7 Virtual Machine.

But I thought I'd make a post to see if anyone else has experienced something like this before.

BrownSuit

New onset within the last week or longer?

I ask because Apple has been rolling out small updates to guard against chip based hacks. Those have been causing problems with a lot of software that hasn't caught up yet with their newer updates. We've had freezing issues here with our Mac in some programs

Howlando

I have to admit it's been a few months since I've tried to play NWN. So I'm not sure when exactly the problem arose.

NWN:EE seems to work without crashing, for what it's worth.

goate

Hey H,

You might try Wine rather than parallels;  It's probably a little more technically challenging, but it's performance should be better, and maybe it'll solve the crashing issue.  I use Wine to run nwn on Linux, and I've been happy with it.

Just a shot in the dark.

-gracken

ScottyB

Last month I updated my Wineskin thread with a download for the wrapper and instructions on dropping in your own NWN files. The toolset doesn't work, but the player and DM clients worked for some playing around when I tested it. If you let Parallels expose the Windows drive to the Mac, you should be able to drag-and-drop to the drive_c folder inside the app.