Allow PCs to change their own descriptions.

Started by Cruzel, March 30, 2009, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzel

This has bugged me for a while. Whenever someone typos or something happens to a PC that affects their appearance, you need to bug a DM in order to get your description changed. Most of the time this is something minor, and while the player would like it, it's not really important enough to warrant a LETO. But really, a Leto isn't needed and a simple script is all that is needed!

I suggest shoving this into a /c command, and allow players to do this themselves.

[hide="Coding!"]
if (GetStringLeft(sMessage, 5) == "desc")
{
   // Appends to the existing description.
     if (GetSubString(sMessage, 5, 4) == "_add")
        {
          SetDescription(oPC, GetDescription(oPC) + "  " +    GetSubString(sMessage, 9, GetStringLength(sMessage)- 9));
        return;
   }
  // Clears the Description and replaces it if we're not appending.

SetDescription(oPC,  GetSubString(sMessage, 6, GetStringLength(sMessage)- 6));
  return;
 }
[/hide]

ExileStrife

I don't think SetDescription works on PCs....?

Mort

It doesn't as far as I know. You'd need to use LETO, which is something snoteye could script but I'm unsure if he has the time or if it is desired.

Snoteye

Can't be done without Leto, and I'm not entirely keen on making it available to DMs let alone players (and no, I don't have the time).

Cruzel

SetDescription works on PCs. I wouldn't have suggested it and posted code if I hadn't tested it to make sure it works :P

I've tested this both with local and servervault PCs, I had someone log into my server and used SetDescription on them, in addition to the usual F9 Testing out of the toolset.  

SetName() doesn't for technical reasons about how the game handles files and playernames, but the description isn't bound by this limitation, so the Description is free game for changes via stock nwscript

Snoteye

Son of a bitch. Cruzel is right.

DeputyCool

tooh

scribjellydonut

To add to the suggestion if anyone is going to create it, the server I used to play on had different commands to do exactly what you're talking about.  I'm sure if you're having trouble I could get you in contact with one of the scripters, they're pretty nice people.  It's a good idea to have some script that will append to the end of the description since descriptions tend to be long and will run out of the chat window.  That way sentences can be added in one at a time with proofreading

DeputyCool

It's not that we're having an issue implementing this. It's that we, for god knows what reason, assumed SetDescription did not work on PCs and thus simply never added it.

artfuldodger99

Putting aside the "can it / can't it be done" discussion (which i think is resolved anyway)....

I think this would be great. Though would need to come with a health warning about abuses of it... people would have to remember to set it back to the original or something after using a disguise etc.

Certainly it would be ace using it for when you PC uses a disguise or uses polymorph/shapechange or as your PC develops and changes from new arrival pauper to rich merchant.

Maybe even as they get that very cool piece of colourful DM loot and want their description to represent it.

Anyway, sounds good so long as the techy stuff is no issue.

dragonfire9000

QuoteSon of a bitch. Cruzel is right.

Oh my dear Lord... I laughed so hard...

Kiaring

If this is added I would be very, very happy. The unchanging nature of descriptions is one of my major pet peeves about this game. While I've, over time, moved from the novel-sized description of every single hair in my character's body to a more generalist style, focusing on those details I truly find important, the static nature of descriptions impedes me from being able to (as was cleverly pointed out) add/remove characteristics/traits/marks that would help characterize a PC's development.
Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Quote from: Snoteye;117589Son of a bitch. Cruzel is right.

meow-mix

It would also be sweet for PC's that frequently go in disguise.  You could change your description to match your discreet appearance.

My two cents,
Meow-mix!