People, is it too hard to be nice?

Started by Drakill Tannan, May 02, 2009, 06:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey512

I think it's a bigger pain if people are jerks IC and Out. For example I've known people who will -not- respond to my character, sure I understand,  maybe their character is a jerk, and would ignore my character in the given situation, but these things need to be emoted so I don't stand there for eight minutes like a moron waiting for them to say something.

I also despise it when people say "Deal with it IG" in times like this. Most of the time the people saying that are the level ten+ fighters in the standard full-plate and towershield/bastard sword combo, who are only itching for one to make an issue of the situation so they can have an IC excuse to destroy your character and take all your stuff.

Things like this also make me feel like the only way I can do anything about it is to make a standard, unoriginal fighter character, and then spend a fortune on consumables to make him invincible so that he can do the same damned thing.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

Drakill Tannan

I think you are all missing the point. NO i will not ask IC, why? Because it's not about charcters being nice to characters, it's about players being nice to players. I'm talking about real people here, i ask players to be polite, not rude, not to think they are the center of the universe and not take the game to seriously, it's a game!

Gippy

I do not really see this. Sometimes, there are PCs that are not nice to mine, but that is for the most part completely IC.

As for OOC pauses when people are like: I've got to go smoke a cig, poop, whatever -- I sympathize but I really don't want to sit around waiting for 10 minutes doing nothing.

Drakill Tannan

I agree. I do not wait for anyone who goes "let me get a cigar" either, but lag is another issues.

Howlando

People who are acting like a jerk OOC'ly aren't going to be reading this thread. There's a lot of new players and casual players who don't read the forums and who may be difficult to deal with at times, particularly if you tend to quest euro-hours and/or rely on public sendings a lot.

However I will repeat as others have said that loot division should be kept IC (although not a fan of players "skimming" when they collect). So if your big brash dude would lay claim to what he thinks he deserves, that's fine and actually quite fair. Certainly it is recommended to do this loot division in a place where no DM supervision is required should it come to PvP, but even if you can't find a DM, there's something called long-term grudges and creative ways to resolve conflict rather than just leaping into PvP.

Most of the incidents I've witnessed where a PC demands more than their "fair" share it tends to be pretty legitimate anyway because that particular PC used a lot more expensive supplies, even if those in the back did contribute with healing or whatever else.

This statement in particular:
QuoteI also despise it when people say "Deal with it IG" in times like this. Most of the time the people saying that are the level ten+ fighters in the standard full-plate and towershield/bastard sword combo, who are only itching for one to make an issue of the situation so they can have an IC excuse to destroy your character and take all your stuff.

... seems to have no basis in actual reality.

Nihm

There is room for improvement, and a few things people could do to make the server more friendly and pleasant toward the players.

Get a DM before acting like a dick in such ways you might get beatdown - I'm guilty of not doing this for sure on a few occasions.  Should our actions be restrained however if no DM is about - ? If I do this, send me a Tell "I'm getting a DM hold on" or "well, no DM is on right now, would you mind picking this up later when I can get one?"

The loot issue - Keep in mind that the people who are burning potions on the front line and killing everything ARE entitled to more.  They do not burn their hoard up and get you your xp in order to meekly give everything away equally to someone who supported and used little.  However, what they should do more often is to put everything down - even if they're going to keep it - so that people know what items were found on the quest.  Everyone is curious and likes to see it, even if they don't get to have it.  This is better than having 20 more potions and a suit of armor that you never emoted keeping, but would be obvious on your person.

Ignoring is annoying yes.  I would rather someone emoted the ignore.  "doesn't hear a word you said," when you are shouting in their face is lame, but something like "turns nose up, haughtily ignoring you" is far better than not reacting, which says that the person is OOCly not interested in interacting with the situation at all.

In general there is definately room for improvement in the OOC friendliness of all of us.

Crod Mondoon

I type slow..but I have not encountered a single situation where someone grabbed the best loot and tried to walk off where a simple NO! or STOP! did not halt them, allowing an ic resolution to an ic situation. Now, if they ignore you, walk off, or worse log off, it's a whole diffrent situation, but a simple No or Stop, usually is enough to resolve what is usually meant to be a confict causeing act.  Once you have their attention, you can type out the longer version of your protest.  This seems to handle the IC low cha, evil, greedy, jerk PC.   They are usually takeing that bright shiny thing to get you to react ic.  Now, if they are just being a greedy OOC jerk, and ignore your protests, make note, grab a screenie, and get it resolved via DM, but like the OP says, it is just a game, don't get bent if you get shafted on a quest once in a while. You also have the ic option of not adventureing with that PC again, and protesting loudly when he/she is invited in your group, promoteing more char conflict, and driving the plot world a notch further!

tooh

Im going inverse of you. Im now playing a bit, at Island of Thain, just because is "for newbies" and dont have the tension and calculate risks that have in EFU:A. All what you said, happen and can be resolved IG. If you are disarming a trap and a mad party goes to rush, emote you helpless and angry IG, if a player get the best item, debate it IG and try survive too. EFU:A is low level hard feelings server, tense and volatile. Players have to choice live a long life or a memorable death.
The challenge isnt go to lvl 9/10, is survive past lvl 7, when you must get something more than simple questing and suplies, you must resolve the question: what to do now? Involve and invest time and funny to do better for the players and the server, maybe create a crisis or be a trader or what else.  
occ: to bad pickpock isnt allowed, it will make more conflicts. Just allow pick pocket and allow check inventory. the power of brute force will vanish. Someone have a item that you want? Hire a rogue.

tooh

only for note: stay IC!  A paladin will never steal from loot but a rogue will steal silent, always.

BoganOverlord

I think people who are going to tell you to deal with something IC are generally well meaning and trying to help you channel your frustration into doing something pretty neat with your character.  Caddies and Krunto excluded, we're generally not level 11+ CE smashbots who are going to steal your loot and spit in your oatmeal for bringing up complaints IC.

I'm fairly optimistic about the majority of the playerbase, and I think you're going to encounter something much more interesting by handling it in character.  Gather some clout!  Go meet some grizzled thugs or generally upstanding paladins who will help you reclaim the piece of loot you really wanted and teach that jerk a lesson!  Go to one of the legal factions and charge him with stealing your swag!  Maybe even go talk to the character who took it.  I'd say there's a decent chance that he'll ask you to do something minor for him like gather information or scout out an area in exchange for the item.  You can use situations like these to really enhance your experience and involve yourself in some of the really great scheming and conflict that goes on in EFU:A.

scribjellydonut

Quote from: Verybigliar;123359I mean, if you take things, gold or do something and just turn away, people have no time to write or try to oppose you. The only way in that scenario is to be speed-typer or start beating your ass to stop you, without any warning.

This happened to me today and me and two others chased the guy down, constantly trying to type really quickly saying things like stop, to which he ignored and is fine IC, but like has been said it's hard to play & type at the same time, so the only option, seeing as there is no 'grab' or any other type of thing, was to hostile him to get his attention.  Still no real response so we attacked, originally planning only to get his attention but he fought back heartily, nearly killing us and subduing our female companion.  

That's the first time I've done anything like that but really that seems like the best IC reponse considering mechanical limitations of online game.  I just wanted to also say while I'm here that the permakill was nothing personal, and I hope there are no hard feelings about it.  It was supposed to be a killing out of anger for him possibly having killed our female companion(which I was informed too late is not allowed to be helped up after being subdued during a fight, even if healed and such), but I'm pretty new to it and couldn't even figure out how to switch to full_damage mode for the longest time, so I apologize for the lack of RP that went along with it.

petey512

Quote from: Howland;123403This statement in particular:

... seems to have no basis in actual reality.

Was I being too bold?

Sorry if I was.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

TheImpossibleDream

Quote from: petey512;123533Was I being too bold?

Sorry if I was.

If by bold you mean twisting reality for the purpose of making drama/a point, then I would say yes!

Winston Martin

You will be treated according to how you act in efu. Some players will get on your nerves and sometimes the best thing to do is ignore them.

derfo

don't pussyfoot around and start shit with him IC if you have a problem