Paladin - Summon Mount

Started by Blake the Boar, August 04, 2009, 03:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake the Boar

Alright, horses and mounts are disabled because of lag issues, which is fine. But Paladins are not blamed for lag, and they already have a hard time in EfU:A. I suggest to script alternative 'mounts' which could be simple summons with themes, celestial maybe, or specific by deity, which could work as animal companion or familiar. Even a human squire could be a good idea.

FleetingHeart

Aside from RP limitations of fighting with and for evil characters, Paladins really do not have it bad. They are Fighters on steroids and I've never seen anyone complain that fighters are weak.

That said, I like the suggestion, I just don't see it as necessary to make paladins somehow 'better'. If anything, the summon would be entirely RP in nature.

BrittanyPanthas

I disagree that Paladins have a hard time at all.  They really don't.

Blake the Boar

Well, well ... I take it back the 'hard time' thing then. Maybe I was wrong. Still, ignoring just that part, a class feature is being completely turned off, without even a replacement. Yeah, I get it, Paladins don't get familiars, and the 'summon mount' is just to illustrate that Paladins have mounts, not that they summon them out of the blue like Druids call their companions from thin air.

derfo

paladins easy mode bloodbath death undead tournament LOL

Blake the Boar

Quote from: derflaro;139182paladins easy mode bloodbath death undead tournament LOL

... hmm ... Eh?

Verybigliar

How are paladins turned off? I mean, they got all those nice spells and knightly stuff. Mounts in general, none of us got mounts. Why should paladins suddenly have it?

Blake the Boar

Never said Paladins are turned off. I said a class feature is turned off. And if you read the actual suggestion, it does not say mount, it is a suggestion to replace it for something like a companion or squire. Mounts are definitely rightly disabled, since they generate a lot of OOC problems, such as lag and traveling stuff.

Oskar Maxon

...and they never had them before, what, 1.69? anyway...

BrittanyPanthas

I don't really think that Paladins should be given anything else at the moment, however, if you truly believe that summon Mount should be used to represent something else for Paladins that pass level 5, then I would recommend something that represents advanced knightly or courtly training.

A small bonus to discipline, persuade, concentration, ride, etc.

If Blackguards were not so difficult to unlock on this server, I would suggest that Paladins be given a counterpart to their Fiendish or Undead Companion.  However, since Blackguards are so difficult to attain, I don't see the need to parallel them to Paladins and would prefer that remain a unique class feature to them.

Blake the Boar

Just to illustrate that 'summon mount' feat that most folks seem stranger to, it is based on the P&P paladin ability of level 5, called 'Special Mount'. It is simply summoning a supernatural creature. The only thing that would have to change is that it would not be 'mountable'.
Follows the P&P feature from where summon mount was based on
  • Special Mount (Sp): Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil (see below). This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium paladin) or a warpony (for a Small paladin).
  • Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin’s level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains for 2 hours per paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.
  • Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.
  • Should the paladin’s mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The paladin may not summon another mount for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

BrittanyPanthas

While it is understood what it entails, I believe that given the other class features of the Paladin, that a summoned companion is not appropriate in the EfU:A setting.

Dr Dragon

Mounts should be earned and gotten IG.

PlayaCharacter

Quote from: Dr Dragon;139204Mounts should be earned and gotten IG.

That's what I came in here to say. I've seen PCs assemble and own animatrons, PCs with weapons that transform into golems, PCs with unique summons in addition to their normal ones, and other things so awesome I don't even want to spoil the surprise.

If you rock out with an awesome enough paladin, there's a good chance that some DM will be inspired to cook up something appropriate for your character.