Frederik, Retired

Started by TheShadow, December 01, 2019, 05:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheShadow

This' Frederik.

In his early life, my primary goal with him was to go around the world and see what could be seen. He dueled occasionally, killed a few undead and beasts, and tried to find a place for himself in the 'New World' of the City.

[Hide=Early Life]

[/hide]

After finding some success, alongside Morgan, he began to use his position towards furthering the desires of the House. Hunting down knaves, Bloodbeards, and other enemies - All with the promise of redemption through service.

[Hide=Redemption?]

[/hide]

Yet these things lead only to turmoil and self-doubt. Hatred by his foes, and condemnation from his Peers. Those few who saw Frederik as a man grew distant, leaving him to his own private ruminations.

https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=695920.0

His efforts were not in vain, though. Some sights he saw, that not many others have seen. Yet...

The Void has a way of consuming those who have forgotten themselves. And so to, Frederik disappears.

(Screenshots of the later sections of his life cannot be shared due to their spoilery nature.)

He only received one piece of loot, an Axe, carved from the Beast he hunted along so many others.

[Hide=Loot]

[/hide]

He killed a few people, yes. Not many. Maha'tua,  who struck at Frederik while attempting the trial of the 94th, and Cadfael L'arcell, a Knave. He kept these trophies in the form of Bronze Ears.
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Loops

:(

Bye Frederik. I'll remember the fun our characters had. It's a shame we never got to see where the story was taking us.

Aethereal

I liked the character of Frederik and his backstory (fully explored, Gorbengolt style), how he was patient, noble and bold enough to deal with a magus in the throes of protest only to return to him a vial of the magus's blood that had been come into the wrong hands, and his story of loss.

The conversation Aethelwine had with Frederik at the campfire was very memorable too, I leave a piece of it here as a tribute:

Aethelwine Silver: Hm, there was something I meant to tell you, Frederik. Criticisms I've heard about you. Though the Frederik I know seems different to the ones others paint for me.

Frederik Jaegarsson: "Have I ever told you why I call myself a hound, Silver?"

A: They speak of your bloodlust, your eagerness to kill. A Tehotian I think it was, executed, despite perhaps not deserving it. [He pauses.]
Hm. I guess you have not, Frederik.
I am fond of hounds myself...

F: "Take, for example. A Mutt. Striken with disease, mangy - To be kicked, reviled, for shitting upon the floors. In a pack, dangerous. Bloodthirsty. A threat."
"...Yet they are known as Man's Best Friend."
"Why? Loyalty. Trust. Empathy. A fragment of what makes a man, a man. All of these things I have been called. Yet I wear the name with pride."
"I know what they call me. I know why. In a way... I agree. But I do not care, Silver."
"If they come for me, they will meet the face they seek. If they do not... they will know me as you, do."
"That was the fate of the Bloodbeards. Of Joan. Of Mahu'tua, of Cad'fael L'arcell. Of countless others."

A: I guess that is my own failing at times. I care. But the source of that care for me is having come into a world where those of my Art were condemned. This practice that I hold upon a pedestal, which represents the height of intellectual pursuit. [He bows his head solemnly then.]
I suppose I understand. I'm glad to know you as the hound, Frederik.

F: [He nods once.] "I hope you do. You'd be one of a very few... And one of the few still alive."

A: Well, we have far yet to go.

F: "Let's hope that we meet that length."

A: I know not the full extent of a future in the eyes and possibilities manifest before us, but you do travel with me and I shall open the way to glorious Truths yet.

F: "There's a time of death coming, Silver. Soon. I hope that we can fight [sic] a fragment of life and prosperity upon the other end."
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.