True strike and Armor

Started by MrBrög, September 16, 2009, 10:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBrög

As its always been in nwn, true strike (arcane) can be cast in an armor without penalty of spellfailure.
I don't see the sense in this and it only encourages powerbuilds of barbs, fighters or rangers with one wizardlevel just to cast truestrike while wearing their armor.
Not to mention everyone with 1 wizardlevel will be able to scribe truestrike as scrolls for an unlimited supply of it anyway, so why give this huge advantage with this spell that is pretty uncommon to come across even on dm-quests and spice to builds that usually makes no sense at all?

Maybe its not even possible to change this?

TomBanana

It was a bug prior to 1.69, it is now fixed. True Strike and Balagarn (or whatever that spells) Horn, both are subject to spell failure now.

ScottyB

Incorrect:

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/True_strike
This mentions that True Strike does not have a somatic component. The article for Balagarn's Iron Horn mentions the 1.69 update: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Balagarn%27s_iron_horn

Furthermore, the D&D 3.x spell True Strike does not have a somatic component: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/truestrike.htm - so this is not a bug (unlike the Balagarn's issue).

I don't think we've ever had a major issue of people taking a level of wiz/sor just for TS, and even those few who do, they lose out on HP, BAB, feats, and other class features of the primary class, for a few castings of TS.

Furthermore, changing this would require a hakpak, since components are one of the aspects of a spell that must match between player and server when preparing/casting spells.

TomBanana

yeah, that's right, my mistake ...

PlayaCharacter

I had a character who took levels of sorceress in order to get True Strike, among other spells. She was really really good at tagging a boss with a missile weapon, she had great AB in cloth, but she was absolutely awful at nearly every other aspect of combat. PvP was completely out of the question. IMO it was not worth the cost.

TomBanana

Maybe not in that case. But think of KD and Disarm ... :D

Still, if it is not a bug, if it is meant to be by canon D&D, it is all good, and I personally think this is as much of an issue as taking bard levels for tumble ac, bard song, rogue levels for sneak, ranger for dual wield (and the list goes ...)

Pup

I never realized TS was not subject to armor penalties, but that is probably mostly due to no one ever using it on me.

I'm sure the awful banhammer or whatnot will take care of any issues regarding this.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

Caddies

True Strike is fine. There are a few spells that don't have somatic components and this is one of them!

Besides, taking a level of wizard or sorcerer for true strike makes you weaker rather than stronger. True Strike is without doubt THE most overrated spell.