Suggestion for Storm/Air Domain.

Started by BrittanyPanthas, September 18, 2009, 07:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrittanyPanthas

Add Great Thunderclap to the list of Storm and/or Air Domain as a 4th or 5th level spell.

Its considered a joke of a spell as a 7th level spell in most cases, but given its effects it seems perfectly balanced as a 4th or 5th level spell which would fit the domain well.

It could also fit well on the Druid spell lists.

TheWastesAreFrozen

TomBanana

So, you consider a spell, that pierces spell resistance, has two different saves and chances of stunning (one actual stun and other knock down) in a gargantuan area, a joke? Well, it might not be the greatest powered spell for level 7, but it does not fit 4 either. I'd say 5 tops (maybe even 6). As for the flavor, I would love to see storm like clerics and druids casting this.

BrittanyPanthas

I said it was a joke as a 7th level spell given the other spells of the same, or better quality that would be universally memorized, even by Evokers.

It has its uses, but its entirely not in line with other 7th level spells.

As for piercing spell resistance, unless you're encountering the odd subrace PC, spell resistance is only an issue on the toughest of DM quests, it won't affect the majority of situations in which one would use this spell.

TomBanana

I don't think spell resistance should be ignored that way. However, I do agree with you it is a bit weak for level seven, and support your suggestion if it is meant to go as 5th circle spell.

ScottyB

Storm Domain already gets the controversial but canon 5/- resistance to electrical damage and is available to clerics of some popular deities; it would also have 4 straight levels of bonus spell access since it already grants Gust of Wind at 2, Call Lightning at 3, and Ice Storm at 5. Putting "Great Thunderclap" in there at 4 would be crazy.

While normally I would say that we shouldn't change a BioWare domain, as it can cause two players with the same build to have different abilities (in this case, one has access to a spell that another might not) - in this case, it might be worth testing. I'm not sure if it'll cause Acid Cloud or something funny like that to end up appearing for characters with Air Domain but without the override, though, and I have no idea when I would get around to this. I also think that a better spell for Air Domain would be Gust of Wind.

Allowing druids to prepare Great Thunderclap is an interesting proposition. I don't think those columns of the spells.2da file will break anyone's ability to prepare the spell. But whether or not it would be unbalanced is something I leave to other DMs to consider.

Drakill Tannan

Come on. EFU:A is a low level, low magic world. The kind of world a cleric becomes overpowered. Not only that, but also many of the domains added can allow players to make really powerfull clerics.

And you want to add even more to them? Consider you are giving a cleric a level 7 wizard spell wich no wizard will be able to acces in EFU:A.

Why is it that people have a problem with buffing up wizards but not with overpowering clerics?

/end of rant

TomBanana

Quote from: Drakill Tannan;145586Come on. EFU:A is a ... low magic world...

Do you truly believe in this?

Relinquish

Give them electric jolt instead.

Egon the Monkey

Yes! Seriously. it would be amusing.

TomBanana

Quote from: Relinquish;145632Give them electric jolt instead.

Supported!

Caddies

FWIW Drakill, clerics are anything but overpowered on EFU.

Nihm

I don't agree with the suggestion because a spell that forces someone to roll multiple types of saves to avoid being disabled is extremely powerful, no matter whether it is low duration or not.

Drakill Tannan

What i meant with low magic was "Crappy items". I did mess up there.

And yes Caddies, clerics are OP in NWN. Even more in a low level, "Crappy item" world.

TheWastesAreFrozen

Clerics are probably one of the furthest from 'OP' on EFU, especially in terms of PvP. Anyway, I agree with Scotty here.