Subbosses and true seeing.

Started by Egon the Monkey, September 23, 2009, 07:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Since apparently whether subbosses spotting PCs in stealth or invis half a screen away regularly is a bug is "not for you to know" according to Mort, this is going to be a two part suggestion.

1: If it's a bug, I suggest it be fixed.
2: If it's a feature, I suggest it's removed.

Why? Because if you're stealthed and run into one, you can't pop an invis to get clear. If you're invised, you have something unexpectly impossible to shake, and if like many sub-bosses they are fast, you are in incredible trouble. If you die, you can't even try and sneak up to your body to get your stuff back. This applies equally to solo exploring PCs and to groups trying to get away from one of these goons.

Letsplayforfun

There's things out there that invisibility and sneak just won't get you by. It's be too easy and would encourage solo exploring.

I've never met one of the subbosses you mention, but they seem to fit into that category. I'm sure you must've noticed the efforts put into EfUA to  gank invisible mages and sneaks, compared to EfU.

ScottyB

As a proud supporter of people who run away from things, I have a third option: a "/c withdraw" command, perhaps usable once per rest, that will break off current attackers one round after the command is given; the delay gives it time to make sure that you're actually running away, not just trying to get the AI to choose a new target.

As a fourth option, yet: have the AI see how far it's gone in pursuit of its current target and break off on its own if it's gone a considerable distance or across a transition; it can even return to the place it initiated combat, afterwards, so that things like "Trog King's Guard" will return to the Trog King it is supposedly guarding, instead of standing triumphantly over the corpse of someone it trapped in a dead end on the other side of the map.

SkillFocuspwn

If they do have True Seeing, I say they shouldn't. It is pretty insane for every named special boss to be the type of Goblin / Panther that can see you no matter what.

TomBanana

Quote from: SkillFocuspwn;146188If they do have True Seeing, I say they shouldn't. It is pretty insane for every named special boss to be the type of Goblin / Panther that can see you no matter what.

Seconded, unless they are Dragons, widely well known for their true sight.

Cruzel

I've always thought true seeing was kind of silly in the way it is currently set up on EFU.  Random monsters (Some with good reason, like oozes) who I would buy having high detection skills, end up having true seeing. Far as I know stealth in nwn is considered a supernatural ability. I think there should be very few things about to counter this, short of highly attuned perception.

Many monsters on EFU should have high detection skills, but not true seeing. If you are not going to change this, then change True seeing(the spell) back to the default implementation. Let us see all of the monster stealthers and invis'd spawns as well.

Mort

Deal with whatever there is. This isn't a suggestion, it's just harassment and annoying.

Maybe it's true seeing? Maybe not.