Shadow Conjuration, Summon Shadow.

Started by BrittanyPanthas, October 15, 2009, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrittanyPanthas

For a Level 4 summon, this is incredibly weak.  I realize its a permanent summon, so it shouldn't be as strong as a normal Level 4 Summon, but the spell has very little use as is except for roleplaying purposes.

The Shadow has 19 HP, and only +1 AB, but some DR, which puts it between a Level 1 and 2 summon Undead wise.  I am rather certain it upgrades to a Shadow Mastiff at level 8-10, but at level 7 its almost entirely worthless.

A slight upgrade to AB, and HP would probably serve it very well.

TheWastesAreFrozen

I think this is the case for almost all of the shadow summons iirc. I seem to recall the level 2-4 ones being nearly identical and wish extremely low AB, AC, and hit points.

ExileStrife

Ability drain on hit!  Even a few points can mess up a player if it makes them encumbered, and NPCs never cure themselves.

TheWastesAreFrozen

I guess, if they ever manage to hit and the low save passes xD

BrittanyPanthas

I think the DC on the fortitude save is 11?  With a +1 AB it'll very rarely hit, unless it has the melee shadow touch attack?  I'm unsure if it does.

Even then though with +1 AB it'll very rarely hit.

Canzah

Regarding the lower lvl shadow theme summons, I am quite sure they don't even have the ability drain. At least I never saw it when I used them, but perhaps it's just a low % on hit or something?

Edit: Either way I am all for a boost. Maybe 1d6 sneak attack to make them cool within darkness, or 10% concealment?

Egon the Monkey

The shadow mastiff is rather badass Good SPOILERS. I recall where I lost the rest of my party on Duergar mines and just used a buffed couple of those (one after the other, they wont' stack) to trash the place. And another time where I invised and played "What can a Mastiff kill in the wilds?" Strong summons lasting 1/hour a level is sweet. I used to use them in Ahmed's store as guard dogs. Finally, they SPOILER trigger usually before charging. It's SPOILERS AR seriously useful if you send them in right.

IMO, they need creature weapons that will take Magic Weapon so they can face down foes with DR though. I think normal summons can be MWed but the Shadow Conjuration ones cannot.

As for the Shadows, I never actually used the spell at L7, only L8+ so I can't really comment.

Edit: Spoilers? Itchy censor finger, DMs. They are unchanged from the default NWN Shadow Mastiffs. Their stats, abilities and those for normal Shadows are no secret.

BrittanyPanthas

After testing it further.  They're not bad as a distraction, but they have no combat ability whatsoever.  DC 11 fortitude save on hit strength drain, and with +1 AB they rarely hit at all.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Normal shadow summons are ridiculously useless. I assure you.

Relinquish

Quote from: Thomas_Not_very_wise;149563Normal shadow summons are ridiculously useless. I assure you.

I can vouch for this.

The Crimson Magician

Quote from: BrittanyPanthas;149560After testing it further.  They're not bad as a distraction, but they have no combat ability whatsoever.  DC 11 fortitude save on hit strength drain, and with +1 AB they rarely hit at all.

it's level drain I believe

AfroMullet

In the end does not matter, because barely anyone or anything will get hit with +1 ab. It would be cool if the type of drain was changed, such as a str drain, in exchange for a higher ab.

Cruzel

This spell doesn't shine until level 8, but you get it at level 7 so I don't really see much of an issue with waiting one level or better yet - taking the spell at 8th instead maybe?

At level 8 the summon changes from useful in select situations to amazing in almost every situation, and I am firmly against any changes whatsoever to this spell.

That said, if you really want to be summoning shadows there is a theme for it (Not sure if it is a starter area theme though) that you can app/get from the OOC Area, and those shadows are somewhat better than the shadow conjuration versions. Or you could experiment and try to find the proper reagents for that theme, whatever floats your boat.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Cruzel

Look closer, Thomas.