Wings, glowing eyes and tails.

Started by Disco, January 09, 2013, 09:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RuinedDesires

Generally speaking, these are often given out in regards to big plots or are achieved through months of hard work, a certain prestige can come with these Aesthetic changes.

Such as, someone achieving demonic status, or earning the RDD class after months of rituals. If you see someone with these its extremely likely epic shit went down to get them.

Aspirinsmurf

Quote from: RuinedDesires;326558Generally speaking, these are often given out in regards to big plots or are achieved through months of hard work, a certain prestige can come with these Aesthetic changes.

Such as, someone achieving demonic status, or earning the RDD class after months of rituals. If you see someone with these its extremely likely epic shit went down to get them.

It's not epic if it happens to every one in ten character on the server. Judging by this thread, that may be a trend. It's not really what I have seen in-game, however. Of course, I personally think it shouldn't happen at all, but that's just me. The precedent is hard to curve back once the cat is out of the basket and everyone starts cooking up wild ideas that can usually be summed up along the lines of "me too". Bleh. There are other servers for that.

Edit: To reiterate, I'm actually okay with the current level of things. I just don't think we need more of it.

sylvyrdragon

I admit I haven't been around for the recent events, but I don't think it was really 'common'.  I gather that there was an event that netted some people 'oddities'. (wings, hands, eyes etc.)

But, the main gist of this thread was how the players (both the one with the Oddity and others) should / would react to them.  From what I can gather, some players didn't really seem to care that their friend of X amount of time suddenly had wings, or a tail etc.  But, the NPC's did react, so it brought about this thread.

Or maybe only SOME people reacted and it was taken as some Power hungry "kill it and take it's loot".  This I can't say one way or the other.

The Beggar

It's the DMs fault for attempting to go against mass media and the basic truths of the universe.

We all know the only thing that can give you wings is Red Bull. To do otherwise is heretical. If Red Bull has not given your character wings IG, then you are wrong for playing said character.

"Tail" is something only good looking characters should have. Tieflings have "tail" because although dark, they are emo-hot. This is a universal truth.

As for glowing eyes, unless your character's name is Cyclops (or Phoenix) and an X-man, you are wrong and do not deserve them.

BrittanyPanthas

Quote from: The Beggar;326603As for glowing eyes, unless your character's name is Cyclops (or Phoenix) and an X-man, you are wrong and do not deserve them.

You've gone soft Beggar.  Homo Superior is not the next stage of evolution, but a cancer upon our fair race that should be excised.  Let us join together to rid ourselves of the genejoke mutie scum.

But we can all agree that Tiefling tail is superhawt and Red Bull gives us wings.  We'll discuss this further after our next rally.

Outcast

In game attitude always reflects the social stigmas that comes with these sort of physical anomalies.   I'm not sure what you're complaining about unless you're just completely ignorant of the implications most of these have.  They're aesthetically cool, but usually end up as an excuse for others to "FD" you with lesser precedence should you not had the wings or tail or glowing eyes.

Aspirinsmurf

If people generally play the kind of xenophobic characters who react with prudent hostility to these aberrations, that would be awesome. Demonic flesh transfusions and fey antlers and what-have-you would be cool if they truly were double-edged swords. I'm not sure if the general sentiment is KoS, however.

I remember vaguely that Arnold "The Feyhand" Howardson remained on retainer for House Aberdenn for rather a long time after he went completely gonzo, despite the best efforts of some characters to have him removed and cured. I'm sure there were some very valid in-character reasons for his friends to protect him like that, but too much of this pussyfooting around such obvious handicaps would cheapen the narrative significantly, in my opinion. On the other hand, if he was completely ostracized immediately, that wouldn't have been much of a cool story either.

Yet upon reflection, the whole situation seemed almost ridiculous when compared to the social stigma that for example half-orcs face. Of course, my own character was more intrigued and slightly scared by the Fey Hand, to be honest, whereas the anti-half orc sentiment is familiar and long-ingrained. It stands to reason that the sheer strangeness and novelty of certain physical 'defects' could inhibit the blatant social stigmata that would, and perhaps should, be associated with them. This could be due to factors of awe, fear or plain disbelief. I don't think I would ever play a character who would dare to physically (or even verbally) abuse an Acolyte of the Flesh or a level 20 monk registering as an outsider.

TL;DR Play more xenophobic brutes, because Aspirinsmurf probably won't. ;)

Howlando

EFU is kind of a freaky setting, and occasionally - through complex ritual or zany fey influence or the influence of other semi-sinister powers (ooze, aberrations, undead...) PCs will be changed. PCs should react appropriately, but I don't think every player needs to play a frightened villager-type either. I think we have a decent balance and I think most players handle these things fine, I suppose I don't really see the point of this thread.