[A letter for Alejandro]

Started by cmenden, August 16, 2023, 01:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmenden

Dear Alejandro,

We are not typically friends, so I imagine you are disinclined to believe me about this, but I'm writing you nonetheless.

I know you are close with my Apprentice, Mae, so I would urge you to find and speak with her to find out why she is no longer voting for Domhnall.

She fears that his planned Tribunal will kill her. I had similar fears, so I found Domhnall to speak with him (before he went mad and started screaming strange things in the Plaza yesterday) and he assured me that Mae's life is not in danger.

He said his only desire is to see justice done and to ensure he picks Tribunes who will see Mae is spared and Marcellus Saenus is killed.

If you desire the death of Marcellus, this letter is a waste of time. If you desire the death of Mae, doubly so.

He is lying to everyone about everything, however. Do not think he is your friend. If you choose to vote for him, you get what you deserve, but ask yourself this:

What quality of White League candidate has failed to satisfy Aubrey, Mae, and me? We are three of the oldest members of the League. Were Lynneth here, she would denounce him similarly and I wouldn't have to write this wretched letter.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi

Don Nadie

Dear Estellise,

We may not be close friends, but I would never fail to hear your advice. In that regards, I am endlessly thankful that you wrote.

I have to admit there are many clouds hanging over his candidacy. So many, in fact, I do not feel I can see two steps ahead of me. Many people have said Domhnall wants one or another killed in sham trials. Rashid al'Rashid himself came to my office with as much (the prospective victim, in his case, Marcellus). And not one single story seems to agree on the facts. Even what you just told me - his desire to see Marcellus killed, and Mae spared - is in contradiction with what others are saying.

To say this is all troubling would be an understatement. More worrisome than knowing the truth would be, in fact, for as rumor swirls one construcst even bigger, more shimmering nightmares. As you can imagine, I do not wish Marcellus dead. He is what remains of the Competition. I cannot see him hurt, much as I think some manner of Inquiry into the meteorite is necessary. I don't want Mae hurt, either.

Be assured that I will vote with that foremost in my mind.

Yours,

Alejandro

cmenden

Dear Alejandro,

I fear I judged you wrong in the past. You have my apologies for assuming you were a different sort of person.

We have saved Mae, Marcellus, or perhaps both in fighting against this.

He has lied at every turn and promised different, conflicting things to everyone who has spoken with him. Thankfully, we are cautious and can come together and compare notes and shine the light of truth upon his words.

The whole thing is rather depressing. The League of White deserves a good Legate, and I had hoped we found one finally. Perhaps after this humbling experience, he can be molded into a proper Legate for a future election. Perhaps not.

At this time, he is not only ill-suited, but if he is given the reins of power, I will lose one of the last people I care most about.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi

Don Nadie

Dear Estellise,

We all hold so many things within us it is difficult to measure, at times, where anyone stands. Are you the kind hearted woman who cared for our wounds deep down? The stubbornly proud one, blushing as the Lyrist mocked your less-than-secret feelings in the Garden? The difficult one, pushing into the College uninvited? The defensive one, trying above all else not to feel outmaneuvered? I can only imagine you, too, have a thousand different Alejandros, all fighting for the spotlight.

You are all, I am all. An accumulation of Estellises and Alejandros working together or fighting. We are not friends, but I have never dismissed you. And I appreciate you, even. Since our first expedition to the depths. I was moved, there, by your actions. As I was by Kythaella's. I like it when people show they are better than I believed until then.

I no longer know who lies in this election. I know that I shan't allow death. Even as I feel we must understand how the Red Star came to be chosen, and perhaps some people must resign, I shan't allow death. I don't think I could.

If it is any consolation - I do not feel the chances of death penalty are realistic, even should Domhnall win. Aubrey was complaining audibly about his refusal to offer Mae's punishment, about his lack of cooperation in that matter - despite this being one of the things she wanted. This makes me think that Mae will be, whatever happens, safe. After all, if he was lying to get votes, why insist on mercy to the one barking for punishment?

I hope my letter brings another inch of solace.

Yours,

Alejandro

cmenden

Dear Alejandro,

Things still appear to be too even to call, so let us both agree that regardless of what occurs, we will ensure Mae does not perish for this.

This also includes getting her to drink the Sister's cure. She's being stubborn about it.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi