How To Make Maps From Screenshots

Started by Egon the Monkey, June 06, 2009, 10:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Experimenting with quick methods for adding some fantasy/antique feel to a screeny. I came up with a way that takes a couple of minutes, requires no artistic talent, and makes a screenshot of the map look a lot more like a had drawn chart.

You'll need GIMP for this, which is a free image editor you can get for Windows here:
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

If you want a hand doing this, ask me to walk you through the menus for GIMP if I'm on IRC or bored IG.

Method:[LIST=1]
  • Enlarge map IG to biggest.
  • Take screenshot.
  • Open screenshot in GIMP, cut out map.
  • Change map to black and white. (colours->desaturate)
  • Paste it into a new layer (Edit->paste as->new layer) over a parchment pic. You can get a ton by just typing "parchment" into Google Image Search. For the lazy cartographer, I used this one.
  • Set transparency of the new layer to 70% (layers window), colourize it to a yellow. (Colours->Colourize)
  • Add words, in black, transparency of layer 70-80%.
  • Save the lot as a .jpeg. (save as)
  • Optional: cover the map pins with drawn Xs or something, add a North Arrow off another image search to cover over the "player location arrow".
Result:

Zazzap

I was looking for a way to make authentic scrolls up, too!  Very cool. Now, if you can only capture the ripped/burned bit with maybe a seal on the top, we'll be cooking with gasoline...

DangerousDan

Letsplayforfun

Quote from: Zazzap;131658Now, if you can only capture the ripped/burned bit with maybe a seal on the top, we'll be cooking with gasoline...

Print on yellow paper. Print what you want. solution1: Iron it with an old iron thingy (you know, to iron shirts). solution 2: washing machine (best avoided though, you'll find out why...) Then: burn the sides with a candle, and pass the flamme beneath the paper without burning it (that's the tough part). Seal with red candle wax. You got yourself a brand new old scroll.

Egon the Monkey

Seals are an easy cut and paste job from an image search. If you want to try making them look old physically, print them with a laser printer, then make some tea (yes, Tea Solves EVERYTHING), put the printout in a tray, and pour tea on it until covered. leave it for a while, take it out and let it dry. Or use an iron or an oven.

if you want to do the lot on the PC, use a different background, you can get a lot from searching DeviantArt, stock photo sites, Google Image Search etc. Or slice off part of the picture in an editor, paste a burned edge from another pic over the top and blend it in using a soft eraser, layer transparency, etc.

There's probably better ways, and you can likely dig up a tutorial. I've got no real graphics training, I just tinker about til I find something that does the job.

Garem

Could this be added to the Info for New Players?

Furthermore, there has been a lot of cool stuff like this recently, Clucky's overrides coming to mind, but others too. A megathread for "Additional Useful NWN Tools" may be appropriate, if a forum admin has the time and desire to do so.