Blue Mist Ogres

Started by Jayde Moon, April 04, 2009, 08:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayde Moon

Perhaps these may be revisited and toned down somewhat?  They are absolute murder.  I know some folks are going to go on about how with their always absolutely prepared for anything character, they may not be so damn tough... but otherwise it can do to parties what a lone goblin assassin does for wandering single low levels...

They can eat up a lot more consumables and lives than they are worth.  Hard to hit, hit hard, and their spells are pretty horrific.  There is nothing that comes close to the level of danger that spawns in any wilderness places, that I have seen.

Even just keeping them as they are but making them far rarer?  Ran into three different groups of them in one trek up to the mountains and back for WO2.  The ogres were almost tougher than the whole quest.

Anyway, yeah, these spawns have been excessively harsh in my experience.

Caddies

They are pretty brutal, agreed.

However, easily avoided with an invisibility potion. <_<

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Quote from: Caddies;118234They are pretty brutal, agreed.

However, easily avoided with an invisibility potion. <_<

Caddies.

Caddies.

Caddies.

If you get within ...well, any close proximity, they will follow you across the map and murder you, your daughter, and your mother in one spell.

Easy

I don't mind tough spawns, and their loot is reasonable.  Though using hundreds of gold in potions for only 2-5 experience is a bit disenchanting.

Luke Danger

Please tone them down, or at least make them -much- rarer. They are tackable with a strongly coordinated group that has oh, a L9 cleric with plenty of buffs to offer and a powerful fighter or two, but come on, it's a -slaughter- to get past them, and their AI is a bit -too- brilliant, having us run into a -completely different spawn and making it worse the The Alamo-, and honestly, they spawn in too strong groups.

So either tone the Guardians down consideribly (honestly, way too tough alone), or make them spawn much more rarerly, perhaps in ones and rarely in threes. Seriously, this is -too intense- for random groups, if a DM plans on dropping a group randomly into the mountains, please at the least make sure there is something to make it manageable, even if it means coming back and removing spawns that respawn.

Caddies

They are tough, but you do not have to fight them. Simply drink an invisibility potion, you'll save more in supplies by doing so.

And despite what Thomas says, they do not spawn in any area except one where you can't sneak past them without them noticing.

Halfbrood

Maybe the Mountains of Mist are just like the Sand Caverns!?

Luke Danger

Quote from: Caddies;118247They are tough, but you do not have to fight them. Simply drink an invisibility potion, you'll save more in supplies by doing so.

Easy for you to say, I had none because a Tormite Cleric -wasted- two of my three (oh the disadvantages of playing good. . .)

Caddies

Staying well-stocked on adventuring necessities like invis potions is entirely irrelevant to alignment, sir Luke.

Talir

I am perfectly fine with the ogres being as they are now. They spawn only in certain areas that should have a reputation for being dangerous now, and if you venture there you should expect that. It's very easy to avoid, but I agree that they're tough. Not unbeatable, though. Just avoid the mountains if you're wandering alone, the wilds are pretty nasty that way. Travel with a reliable group, travel together and keep each other safe.

Luke Danger

Here's the problem Talir, we didn't -intend- to go there, and who we had as a group was completely random.

Wern8

The best course of action when meeting these terrifying ogres is to completely buff up and fight them, with reasonable buffs, it should be much easier to crush them. Or simply avoid them, using invisibility is best.

Personally, I rather face them than a death spell. I definitely agree that they can be harsh though, but I do not think any changes is necessary, there are times when they do not spawn at all, I think it is quite random.

Sphagnum

They do tend to put a damper on people's adventuring and exploration spirit. Maybe one could spawn in a group of lesser Mist Ogres, instead of three of them spawning together.

Letsplayforfun

Invisibility rulz. Or brute strength. Sadly, there seems to be no place for half mesures.

Or, maybe, some tough spawns could be not hostile at first, and onpercieve go 'hey you, gimme 500 coins/meat/a party member or i'll smash your face', and thus starting the use for social skills.

There was a troll toll in UD which i never saw put to use.

More "scripted rp" options over inviz/brute ones, pretty please. That's the only thing that's really missing on EfUA, imo.

Just my two cents.

I can has fun?

Keep the Mist Ogres!

Quote from: Luke Danger;118245They are tackable with a strongly coordinated group that has oh, a L9 cleric with plenty of buffs to offer and a powerful fighter or two

Isn't that the point, though? There should be some places on the server you can't get to without a buffed group. If just anybody can fight their way through, it makes the server feel smaller, and that makes the puppy sad.

You don't want to make the puppy sad, do you Luke?

For the record: Sheldon, Holvah and I were able to cut a path through the Mist Ogres, using no consumables except herbs, just the three of us, at level 6. That's two fighters and a cleric, working alone, for a combined total hit dice of 18, with no more than 10AB for any one of us. The only special advantages we had were discipline and communication.

Plus, don't these Mist Ogres have some kind of innate weakness to something or another? I distinctly recall discovering some easy way to deal with these foes, but it escapes me. If only there were some character class whose specialty was the identification of weaknesses in their enemies...