The Coterie of the Gilded Cock

Started by Random_White_Guy, January 31, 2009, 10:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExileStrife

Kilaya76

The idea looks great. I have some questions, however:

1. Why did you not include sorcerers?

2. Why rangers? As most of them are rather the "wild" types, I don't think they would fit in such a refined, civilized group.

3. Bards imho would best fit in the group. You said only lawful types could fit because its members are requested to be loyal to Old Port, but then the faction would be more a political group than the high class social-adventuring club you described. Anyway, lack of loyalty to the "colony" rather than to its people (a neutral char could very well be loyal to the colony's *people* rather than to the colony *government*) could be one subject of the debates that are supposed to happen in the faction. And if not, then a bard could very well simply lie only because he wants to enter this exclusive club.

Random_White_Guy

Quote from: Kilaya76;108964The idea looks great. I have some questions, however:

1. Why did you not include sorcerers?

2. Why rangers? As most of them are rather the "wild" types, I don't think they would fit in such a refined, civilized group.

3. Bards imho would best fit in the group. You said only lawful types could fit because its members are requested to be loyal to Old Port, but then the faction would be more a political group than the high class social-adventuring club you described. Anyway, lack of loyalty to the "colony" rather than to its people (a neutral char could very well be loyal to the colony's *people* rather than to the colony *government*) could be one subject of the debates that are supposed to happen in the faction. And if not, then a bard could very well simply lie only because he wants to enter this exclusive club.

1) Sorcerers are weird and freakish, with their innate casting ability. Bards are too.

2) Not all rangers are guys who patrol the wilds and such. Many high society types are "Big game hunters" in certain cultures. Rangers are very suited to be hunter types.

3) My character is a Siamorphan. He firmly believes that nobility should rule, and that their whims be met, as they are of a higher blood than most. While it is important for those nobles to serve the people, it is more important that the people also serve the nobles vehemently.

QuoteA neutral good character is guided by his conscience and typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A neutral good character may cooperate with lawful officials but does not feel beholden to them.
This group is going to be one rich in tradition and very beholden with lawful officials. Not all of them, mind you, as some of them may be uncivilized and barbaric, but on the whole many "Officials" in Ymph are citizens proven to the colony, or hand picked by those of noble blood to serve.

QuoteNeutral alignment, also referred to as true neutral or neutral neutral, is called the "Undecided...They may see good, evil, law and chaos as simply prejudices and dangerous extremes.
This group will not see Laws as an extreme. They will see it as a necessity. It is what separates us from the Dirty Stargazers and other barbarics.

QuoteNeutral evil is called the "Malefactor" alignment. Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment.
Turning on your allies is how you get into trouble with said allies.

On the whole I am a firm, firm believer of "Do what you want". If you have a bard, or sorcerer, or barbarian even, who wants to get into the Coterie. Feel free to try. Do what you want. I cannot promise you'd make it, I cannot promise you'd enjoy it, but We'd have some fun RP and no doubt some interesting meetings.

Chaotic isn't welcomed for a reason, and Neutral for the reasons stated above.

As for "Bluffing your allignment", I firmly believe this is impossible.

100% impossible. Its a rant for another time, but I am unwaveringly vehement in that you cannot bluff your alignment.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Howlando

Not to be too catankerous, but I have to say the statement I most agree with would be:
QuoteOn the whole I am a firm, firm believer of "Do what you want".

For a player faction or group of this kind, enforcing alignment restrictions is essentially impossible. Even for DM factions the alignment restrictions are (mostly) guidelines. Alignments can be a useful indicator of past patterns of behavior as well as general attitudes and philosophies, but I think it can be a mistake to focus too much upon them - the Bioware alignment description snippets really shouldn't be relied upon too much in EFU.

Also, just as a setting note, there is no particular prejudice against sorcerer or bardic magic in Old Port. Certainly some societies have this prejudice (Thay!), and this player-developed organization is more than welcome to have it, but I just thought I'd mention it for the sake of clarity.

Random_White_Guy

Indeed. I have no interest in enforcing alignments through OOC means, but ICly if you play true to your alignment there will be ample conflict. On the whole however, Choatic/Neutral individuals will be going against the grain, and have difficulty being taken seriously. If that is your thing, Then by all means go for it.

I simply put in the alignment/class preferences because I want the faction to have a general feel or vibe to it. Its hard to picture a coterie of high society types, with 8/10 members being Barbarians.

I've already had to turn away some people for over-the-top concepts, and some people who wanted to make Alternates to join the faction.  I really didn't want to have to explain time and again that I'm looking for "lawful types", so I put the alignment/class preferences that will mean your character will flourish in the group.

Alternates down the road would likely be welcomed, but we have yet to launch. Ideally either tomorrow morning or this evening I will be IG with the Coterie idea. Alternates at the start of a PC faction are troublesome because the trick to getting your foot in the door is constant presence, and as much as you can get. Hopping on from time to time to hang out or adventure with the Coterie is a fine pursuit if you want to, but ideally I am looking for dedicated players to the Concept, not just he "Idea" of "tee-hee, nobility", at least at the start of things.

As for over the top, it is very easy to imagine foppish characters and become somewhat of a mockery with it.

This is to be a serious faction.

With luck and some serious elbow grease, and a dash of headlight fluid,  it will lead to some serious fun.

Random_White_Guy

Random_White_Guy

This is a ridiculously old idea, and one I never really got to implement ICly.

After talking with some folks in IRC I may be retrying it out.

Due to RL i'm out of EFU for about a week and a half, but upon my return, this may come to life finally after all these months.

Swing on by #Braintrust to hash out ideas and speak more. We got some time before this goes live so some cool plots/ideas can come from letting the plot stew for a week or so.