Myconids! ~ Fungi and Fungals Tripping through the Dark ~

Started by Garem, October 14, 2014, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efuincarnate

If your looking for a completely new experience, I highly recommend this. Makes NWN a whole new game.  Everyone must play one, once, at least, to appreciate our server in it's entirety. Give it a go~we~greet~you~!  Grow Well and Prosper!

Dauerschlaf

Quote from: efuincarnate;415970If your looking for a completely new experience, I highly recommend this. Makes NWN a whole new game.  Everyone must play one, once, at least, to appreciate our server in it's entirety. Give it a go~we~greet~you~!  Grow Well and Prosper!

Still and always a great time to GROW with us! If you're at all interested in the mushroomy life and playing a neat race, hop into the loam!

Random_White_Guy

I'm gonna take a break out of my busy schedule of wanddering around puffing spores on things and asking questions to talk to you about Myconids. It. Is. Glorious.

While there are many factions and situations in EFU that have been fully fleshed out the Myconid are a completely blank-slate and unique experience to EFU. Unlike the Stargazers and their rich history there is an entire situation of a subrace that has almost no presence beyond what PCs craft for it.

I am currently playing a non-traditional myconid and I am thoroughly loving asking people questions, learning about the world from a tiny foreign/alien perspective of an insulated creature with limited experience with the world and it has honestly recharged my batteries about a lot of the greater aspects of EFU.

While it does somewhat grind me the wrong way how Myconids are so loved by so many PCs it does allow you to see a lot of the server, from many factions, and interact with a wide array of Pcs that the average PC doesn't.

So as per tradition I am going to give you what I love doing for factions: A huge list of potential Myconid concepts.

[indent]- A Myconid Bard that creates creationist tales of the origins of the myconid and the canonization of every myconid that came before it in greek-style tales of heroes

- A Myconid Mesmer Sorcerer who becomes enamored with the Fey and hooked upon the substance after its spore is disloged from Mycopolis and grows in the infected Dark Lake

-A Myconid Barbarian with Auril Perk that believes for Myconid to survive this new influx of hazards they need to uproot and grow within the Frozen Chambers of the Windy Canyon to hibernate

-A Myconid Rogue with the Archaeologist perk who believes if they are to survive this new influx of humanity's threat to Myconids they must thoroughly study and observe and collect human artifacts like a tiny shroomy Jane Goodall

- A Myconid Sorcerer who through magical spores absorbs the latent magical energies of the world around it mimicing magic and striving to understand all the facets of the weave

- A Myconid Cleric who feels if the Myconid are to enudre they must mimic the other societies and organize into a canonical church, seeking out clerics of other races and copying their styles in missionary pilgrimage to return and mimic their heirarchy, rituals, preachings and similar

- A Myconid Smuggler that has come to accept it may trade with any race in the Dark Lake and moves to the Canal Ward of Lower in hopes of smuggling trade goods and form a tiny mushroom cartel of narcotics, slaves, and more as an amoral mushroom seeking the best goods for its poeples

- A Myconid Ranger that takes to the hunting of dragons under the impression that the Mycopolis may only be safest when a Dragon's horde they collect and bribe it to come live amongst the peaceful shrooms as a massive guardian

- A Myconid Rogue that collects information realizing it is the most useful tool to trade with humanity, befriending numerous factions and eventually selling them all out to the highest bidder of Rothe Poop to fertilize the grove.

-A Myconid that grew in a location with a buried treasure in proximity, staring at it for months while no being able to touch it due to being a sprouting fungus. This resulting in a gold-obsessed Myconid eager to steal whatever possible in the style of a Trickster Deity of many cultural fables, using its mycelium and stubby arms to become a masterful pickpocket.

-A Myconid that began to grow in the garden of a Beshaban Hag that was doted upon and loved until her demise, in which upon her death she cursed it to hunt down the damnable elf that broke her heart. Barbarian with Cursed perk.

- A Myconid with the Tribal Guardian perk raising to be the greatest protector of the Myconid ever known seeking to perform the greatest deeds such as protecting another sproutling from a Deep Lizard and forming a cult of more durable myconids seeking to absorb themselves together into a Fungal Voltron to protect the myconid populace.[/indent]

It is a completely alien, foreign, and different mindset than Sanctuary, Lower, or even the Wilds themselves.

People assume every myconid is a Steward or Nature's best friend but in reality they're just weird little plants. You've got a lot of potential and wiggle room to pursue non-violent, non-PvP plots as an adorable little mushroom or roll the dice and try to play something more weird and foreign in pursuit of creating a great story for the server.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Dauerschlaf

I'm back in game more regularly, for anybody interested in starting up a Myconid!

There's only two of us around now that I'm aware of, if you've got any interest look at all the wonderful concepts posted here and see if you wanna take a shot.

I highly recommend the experience, and if you end up not liking it -- you help out another PC!

Starmonger

non shameful bump, Things are interesting right now, due to ig shizz, come shroom with us!

#myconid if interested.

Vlaid

Bumping this because like the myconids before me, I like having other myconid friends to RP with and probably not absorb

Check out these amazing adventures.

Vlaid

Alright, time to make a more serious contribution to this thread!

Currently there are a lot of really big plots with intense conflicts going on. That is a great thing for EFU, but some people may be turned off for this and looking for something else to do in EFU. Myconids are a great alternative while leaving the door open to being involved in these plots from a distance if you so desire. Myconids get an advancement XP wage just for existing and so questing generally is not necessary except as a means to get supplies. This allows myconids to be very self sufficient and death is generally fairly meaningless except as a temporary loss of levels.

The wilderness side of the server has been somewhat dead and neglected for a while but I'd like to help rectify that. Myconids and their grove provide a great base and amount of stability for newer nature PCs to come into (that doesn't require being a Steward to benefit from). Not all wilderness PCs may be welcome but certainly many would be!

The current story of Myconid PCs is that due to over population in Mycopolis, sproutlings are being sent out to seed a new myconid colony - the Myconid Grove lair. The last few groves have unfortunately been destroyed, perhaps leaving the question open if myconids need to take more serious steps to defend of their grove - be that through planning their growth, developing alliances, trading or empowering their grove/defenders in some way. The lair provides many benefits to myconid PCs that makes survival away from the hub and with few allies very possible. Either through Farming or Mining or just collecting various things around the module you will always have something you can do to help grow the Myconid Grove, something I have found extremely refreshing as a solitary nature-based PC.

The basic premise of Myconids are as peaceful traders, growers and tenders of nature. But there is room for many concepts along that gradation. One thing I like most about myconids is that you can use where you grew from, or some style of plant in the module to help create a theme for your myconid - taking class, perks and feats to work into that theme.

I should also mention that Myconid apps are not really that difficult to get passed. Even if you just want to try it out, you can always feel good that you got to see what Myconid life is like, absorb with another Myconid, and in some small way you have contributed to the story of the myconids by helping another myconid grow and adding something to their personality by fusing into them.

Reminder for people wanting to make a trader themed Myconid: Myconids get a constant XP wage so the XP cost of brewing/wand making is non-existent to Myconids.

Following are some example concepts, some taken from earlier in the thread and some of my own added.

- A Myconid Bard that wants to remember each myconid past, present and future to preserve the continuity of myconid growth through stories, tales and legends.

- A Myconid Mesmer Sorcerer who influences the mind of others through their spores as both a means of defending the grove and as a way of getting what they want peacefully.

- A Myconid Sorcerer who through magical spores absorbs the latent magical energies of the world around it mimicing magic and striving to understand all the facets of the weave

- A Myconid Sorcerer who grew around a thick patch of fire lichen, gifting it with an innate connection to flame. Evoker specializing in various flame spells which works well with stinking cloud and cloud of bewilderment also being evocation and Myconid completely immune to.

- A Myconid Cleric of Psilofyr who wants to keep the traditionalist elements of the myconid culture intact and to act as a stabilizing influence on Myconids.

- A Myconid trader that wants to trade with all races across the underdark, embracing the trader aspect of myconid culture for their survival, opening up RP with many aspects of the module beyond the wilderness.

- A Myconid Rogue that collects information realizing it is the most useful tool to trade with humanity, befriending numerous factions and eventually selling them all out to the highest bidder of Rothe dung to fertilize the grove.

-A Myconid that grew in a location with a buried treasure in proximity, staring at it for months while no being able to touch it due to being a sprouting fungus. This resulting in a gold-obsessed Myconid eager to create a horde of wealth to be the envy of Director Gould himself.

-A Myconid that began to grow in the garden of a Beshaban Hag that was doted upon and loved until her demise, in which upon her death she cursed it to hunt down the damnable elf that broke her heart. Barbarian with Cursed perk.

-An Red Star Defiant Myconid that roleplays their various brews as absorbing different nutrients from the soil, making them highly adaptable as the needs of the Myconid change.

- A Myconid with the Tribal Guardian perk raising to be the greatest protector of the Myconid ever known seeking to perform the greatest deeds such as protecting another sproutling from a Deep Lizard and forming a cult of more durable myconids seeking to absorb themselves together into a Fungal Voltron to protect the myconid populace.

There are a lot of subtle aspects of myconid culture that are better left found out in game or discussed with those interested in making a myconid. I am (or the few others in the channel) more than happy to help people work on apps, concepts and figuring out what to do in #myconid.

Dauerschlaf

Though I haven't played a myconid in quite a while now, I feel like more myconid should be around! They're honestly a fantastic opportunity, and everyone should try out the race at least once!

If you want help with concepts, the app, or even just to chat about myconids if you're curious and thinking about it - I'm usually on IRC for a decent chunk every day!

HarvestMoon

[puffs purple]  Always room for more myconid love!