The Merchant shall Raise again!

Started by Thomas_Not_very_wise, September 16, 2008, 01:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Basically, I have applied to play a Merchant character, and I need competition for my merchant. I would love to see some players playing Merchant King!

dragonfire9000

Can you just give me some pointers here Thomas? I have no idea how to go about it, to be perfectly honest.

petey512

It's actually pretty easy, Iv'e played a merchant twice before, once as a brewer and the other as a kind of "black market". Essentially just find stuff people will want to buy and sell it.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

Thomas_Not_very_wise

To play a Merchant, you have to decide what kind of merchant.

potion and crafting merchants can quest easily, sell potions and wands at a reasonable profit and at reasonable prices.

The 'Item" merchants, will have a tough time questing. Not only are they walking PvP targets for mugging, they are super slow, which, unless you're incredibly useful to a group, not going to quest with anyone with a right mind.

The general outline I give my prices is This:

NOTE: PRICES ARE STILL WITH UNDERDARK IN MIND.

Common loot:

This is loot we've all seen, and can easily gain. These items, no matter how useful, will generally be cheap. +1 AC small shields, Rings, boots, helms, almost all of these, if you wait long enough, will come to you. So these items (unless you're intentionally scamming new players) will generally be low cost (Ranging from 50, to 600 coins)

Unique drops:

These are items that actually do something. +2 ac Necklaces, no matter penalties, are going to sell. +1 AC large shields, will sell. Enchanted half plate, full plate, these will sell. +1 AC rings, will sell in general. These items are unique, only found on high level quests, and

These are items with history, or with serious bonuses. Like +2 ac Necklaces, AC+1 large shields, +1 breastplates (with no penalties) and so on.

ITems with unique history, (not dm loot) Or have a story on them will fall in this catagory, class loot that gives special bonuses, Like clerical slots, druid slots, and ranger slots, will fall under here.

Ranging from 200, to 2000 coins.

DM loot:

Price Gouge these, I always do.

1200- god knows what.

You'd be surprised what people will buy things for. I've seen people buy MS boots that grant +2 to MS, for 300 coins.

Start high, and expect to at least half the cost of the item. However, aim for at least a 50 coin profit from every sale, unless you bought it really cheaply and intend to sell it cheap.