Brothers 4 lyfe

Started by Garem, September 17, 2008, 11:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garem

Here's the lowdown.

We're playing the Delaquers of Tashalar, a tightly knit family of country nobles, mostly Halruaan by blood but living in the far outskirts of Tashalar where we grow grapes and manage what little trade passes through the mountains to Halruaa. Although lesser nobles, the family is rooted in such a remote location that we are not very wealthy nor courtisans to the Halruaan magocratic courts or frequent guests to the feast halls of far away Tashalaran merchant barons' tables.

Given this background, each child is well taught and allowed to do whatever they want to bring money into the family and help expand the vineyards. So far PC-wise, we have a merchant-sailor, an wizardess trained at the Halruaan universities, a dashing courtisan-adventurer (similar to the great British hunters of the late 1800s in sub-Saharan Africa), and the heir-to-the-vineyards swordmage. We are highly encouraging involvement in DM factions.

Our goals are all radically different and yet turn back to the central theme-- the power of family. We are, by and large, avoiding alignment extremes; that being said, anything is still possible.

--------------------------------

Original Thread:

Looking to find a few (4-6) folks interested in playing a tightly knit group of some sort, most likely a family. Some of the potential premises of the group are:

- Brothers/Sister/Siblings
- Famous huntsmen of big game (and entourage)
- Noble War Party (displaced)/Viking-esque raiders knocked WAY off course.
- Mafia-esque family (not NECESSARILY evil, but certainly highly probably)

There's definately a possibility for the group being a band of brothers and sisters that are famous huntsmen from a particularly rough Illuskan (just an example, not hard a fast) town who are trying to flourish in their new home by running gambling operations, controlling the hooch industry (among others), and issuing favors here and there. In fact, the idea kind of strikes me as so rediculous it's even MORE awesome with all these tie ins.

Also, I'm not deadset on being the "leader", if someone wants to try that. Or we can just not have a set, single leader (they tend to develop when and as needed anyways).

Human primarily, although half-elf or half-orc could be justified if you can convince me it makes sense (which ought be easy, I s'pose).

Any alignment could be justified, so long as the tie to the unit/family is respected (or a similarly tight bond, such as a very close friend or adopted son/daughter).

Any class could work, barring maybe paladin and maybe druid (just cause they don't seem really all that interested in sea travel nor family bonds imo, but I dunno...)

Why is this awesome? The point of this tight knit yet very individualistic group is so everyone can make a really unique character (just as siblings are often quite different!) with interesting goals and work towards that IG with the help of dependable players and characters. Basically, the only limiting factor is the nigh unbreakable family tie.

Join IRC Channel #Brothers to discuss or toss ideas out! I'm not planning on making this happen for at least a week, so if you just want to stop by and see if it might be for you, that's cool too.

Just for the sake of reference, this idea comes from both my own indecisiveness, my enjoyment of tightly connected PC groups, Scrubs (weird, isn't it?), my 3 Golden Retrievers (really, I can sort of explain that one...), beer, The Godfather by Mario Puzo(sp?), and the movie Four Brothers (actually quite good, despite what lots of people say).

Garem

Right now, the countries of Halruaa and Tashalar have my rapt attention. Halruua is like a nicer version of Thay. Tashalar is sort of a mix between the merchant powers of Amn and the wildness of Chult, but even more exotic.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Halruaa

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tashalar

Relinquish

Caddies

I'd be interested in playing the group wizard or cleric.

morva

Nickless

We could use a few more people IMO

Lorloth

I'm interested, but neither Halruaa nor Tashalar sound appetizing to me, really.

That said, I'm negotiable.  I may also be playing one of my many existing PC's instead.

Madskillsmike

I'd really be interested in this!

Relinquish

Well, We probably have about enough to start planning prelude dates, or at least starting times if we don't have a prelude. (I'm not even hoping for one)

Garem

This is developing into a really cool group. Nickless is my co-pilot, so if I'm unavailable, he can give you the rough details.

I think we're planning on starting next Wednesday, possibly earlier if we get six people set and ready. Sorry, but I'll be very busy this weekend (GO VOLS, BABY!) and won't be around much until Sunday.

Relinquish

I'll tell you now sunday is best for me. Somewhere mid-day EST time.

Madskillsmike

Sunday is better for me too, if at all possible!

Garem

We will not start this on Sunday, but NEXT sunday is a possibility.

Relinquish

I won't be able to do it thursday friday or saturday. Sunday is the best day IMO.

Garem

Shooting for next tuesday (not tomorrow), 4:00 EST.

We have Relinquish, MrBBQ, SkFoPw, Nickless, and myself down and ready. Can take one or two more, and we could really use a DM to A) set us up a faction forum to make sure our story is straight and B) discuss a possible "prelude", just a brief shipwreck onto Ymph or something.