The Coterie of the Gilded Cock

Started by Random_White_Guy, January 31, 2009, 10:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random_White_Guy

For every twenty men, there is a special breed. A refined, gentlemanly, well off breed. Fine drink, Fine food, Fine women, Lavish gatherings. Men who can enjoy the finer things in life.

We are those Men.

The Coterie of the Gilded Cock. Adventurers Par excellence who know well the feeling of a job well done simply for the sake of a chance at prestige, wealth, and Influential associates.

The Stygians have their Warriors, the Guard their patrollers, the Order their Footmen. We are a Higher class of Adventurer, for a Higher class of society.

A little background, as the concept is still kind of developing, but I have noticed a sincere lack of any semblance of "High Society" upon EFU. With this Adventuring company, I would hope to change that.

It is my hope to be a group from Old Port, upon hearing of the recent safety of Ymph, will be moving to the Ziggurat to get a foothold in the arena of High Society in the fledgling community, as well as do various Mercenary jobs for those they deem "Worthy" of their haughty presence.

If any PC's are interested in hopping in ahead of time however, and get started as a pre-founded group feel free to stop by "#TheGild" on IRC.

Membership Requirements:
Alignment:LG, LN, Or LE Only
Classes: Clerics, Rangers, Fighters, Rogues, Wizards preferred.
Races: Gnomish, Elven, and Human. "Less Refined" races can be used as Servants, if such a pursuit interests you.

Servant Requirements:
Alignment: Non Chaotic
Classes: Any
Races: Any, so long as they are not Overtly monsterous or freak-like

Update

QuoteThe Coterie's presence in old port is -not- prevalent. No, You don't have to apply to join, as it is a purely PC made faction. Due to some changes in character, things are somewhat updated.

1) This is still first and foremost an Adventuring company, and the pursuit of prestige, wealth, and fellows of high society.

2) "What do you mean, High Society?" This Adventuring company will also serve as a Social Club. Its members will be welcomed to attend numerous social gatherings and events, as well as are encouraged to pursue their Own interests outside of the Coterie. Be it merchant endeavors, Archeological pursuits, Politics or anything that tickles your fancy, so long as it is not considered too barbaric or harmful to the image of the Coterie

3) The social aspect of this group is one of alliance and acquaintance. Members of the Coterie are of kindred spirit and allies, in the sense that the members are free to help other Fellows in various plots, dealings, etc. either at a price of their choosing or at a favor at a later date.

4) There never was, or will be, a "Leader". Members as a collective are free to voice their opinion on any matter, as well as pursue interests of the Coterie together, but none will ever Force participation upon any PC. So long as a member contributes to the society in some way, they are welcomed. Not everyone will have to go on every adventuring endeavor, not everyone will have to partake in every plot. Some Members, if they are good at it, are free to simply sit around a Bar meeting and pursuing other high society members, as an example, if they are particularly well versed with people and would prefer a role of Recruitment.

5) Servants are to be Legal in the eyes of the colony. Members who are Citizens are welcomed to have any servant they wish, but those who are not will be free to pursue -one- servant. It is preferred that said servant is of similar playing times/schedule, so you can spend an optimal amount of time together. What you do with that servervant, is between you and the Gods, but those who give the coterie a bad name by publicly beating their servants to death, and that sort of thing, would likely be mercilessly ridiculed by the other members.

6) While there is no "Hierarchy" per se, Citizens of the Colony are given higher prestige amongst the Coterie than Civilians. As this is a group of high society, and Citizen is a staunch proof of dedication to the society that we are in, There will be numerous perks that Citizens have that are not obtainable by Civilian.

7) The Adventuring Company and Social Club are Not Mutually Exclusive. As what we are trying to develop is a group of like minded men of prestige, wealth, and other facets, those who regularly do adventuring work but cannot take time from their schedules to attend gatherings and sit around sipping drinks with the fellows will be subject to ridicule, and eventually removed. Conversely, those who do not partake in at least minimal adventuring activity will be called Foppish and cowardly, as well as ridiculed, and eventually removed as well.

Goals of the Coterie:
  • Such is the Soul of the Coterie
     First and Foremost, The Coterie's goal is to always display proper respect and humility in the eyes of those with Noble blood.

• Such is the Spirit of the Coterie:
    Adventuring is one of the purest forms of existence. Pitting your skills and wits against an unlimited number of foes and challenges, from all walks of life, to come out proving you are the best.

• Such is the body of the Coterie:
    The Coterie serves as a vessel for many unique individuals, but as a whole individuals who know how to work together with their fellows will find themselves involved in more than those who aren't.

• Such is the Foe of the Coterie:
    The Stargazers are a foul, barbaric, and ridiculous nuisance that must be eliminated from the face of the Island. They stand against all that is right and decent in existence, and must be purged.

• Such is the Mind of the Coterie:
    The pursuit of Prestige and Power are an honorable endeavor, and one that should be encouraged, so long as individuals know their limits and their place within Society.

• Such is the Mindset of the Coterie:
    One must always take the time to enjoy the finer things in life. After all, only those who live to earn a wage need rush anywhere.

• Such is the Heart of the Coterie:
    There is no disagreement that cannot be solved over a good glass of wine and a heated discussion. Only the most crass of men fight when words suffice.

• Such is the Arm of the Coterie:
    There are two types of servants in the world. Those who are destined to kneel to the lowest of the low, and those that are destined to kneel to those of Noble blood. Only through service can one advance from Servant to Member, and as such Servants should be treated kindly. Should said servant be from a lesser race or lifestyle, they must learn to accept their fate as such. Such Servants "Should" be treated kindly, at least in public.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

DangerousDan

i walked one morning to the fair

Caddies

Faerun's first homosexual club?

Vanquishried

Actually this is a tad bit related to what I know of the Silver Ravens of Old Port but my character fits the que

Random_White_Guy

Quote from: Caddies;108225Faerun's first homosexual club?

Nonsense!

"Fine Women". It says it right there!

Vanquishried

AKMatt

Random_White_Guy

Servant Requirements added, after speaking to a few PC's.

Vanquishried

See! Ixtioxtl isn't scary!

UnholyWon

This is going to be solid GOLD!!!!

Equinox

is it just me, or did any else find a childlike delight, in the obvious humour that can be derived from the name of this faction....

also. cool concept.

Random_White_Guy

I've recieved a few PMs, so just thought I'd clarify:

QuoteWhy don't you modify the restrictions? Bards would fit awesome with this concept.

Yes, and at the same time, No. The rough idea of what I have is a group of high society types. They will be adventurers but also have regular gatherings/events for the sake of public persona and such, but also hang around and share gossip, fine wines, and other things.

While Bards would fit very well with this in theory, The lawful nature stems from what is planned with the Membership idea of the factions. My intent is to have my character tied closely to Siamorphe in some way, so we would be very loyal to the colony/Old Port, hence the Lawful requirements for membership.

Bards and such would be welcomed as Servants, as well as any other class, so long as they are presentable and know their place.

Why LG, LN and LE? Wouldn't such brazen alignments thrust together stir conflict?

Indeed! Such is my pursuit. High society is often about plotting and intrigue, but also rivalry and other facets. My hope is to have the characters in the group have their own interests, then come together for our social gatherings to plot and share our resources.

It is a sort of Free Mason type arrangement. Rich of tradition, Loyalty, and reverence to the Nobility of Old Port (Count/etc), to operate in a capacity removed from the Stygians, Order, and Guards.

I welcome any conflict within a group, but would instead hope that while people have "Character Differenecs and Moral Qualms", it would be more of a disagreement had while philosophizing over a drink, but afterwords are able to work well together.

What's with the Name? Seriously. You know that sounds suspicious, Right?

Quite so.  The name was specificly made to draw attention and raise eyebrows. A large part of lavishness is attention, so I imagined such a name would draw ample attention.

You have class restrictions. Why?

The mercenary side of things I hope to be somewhat disciplined and put up a well-meaning, noble-esque front. The elite of the elite, more or less. A cadre of snooty, haughty, excellence, that only looking down our noses at people can offer. It is somewhat counter-productive to be putting on such a face, and then have a Barbarian running around screaming and cleaving people in half with greataxes.

You have Clerics on the list. With your alignments, wouldn't that create conflicts of interest. A Tormite and Banite working together is not something I forsee happening?

Too true. For the most part I left Clerics in there, because in all honesty I like the class. A well played cleric is a great thing and there are very few factions for Wizards and Clerics to join. I would hope to capitalize upon that, should the character fit the group dynamic.

What's the difference between a Member and a Servant?

Members are close allies, brothers in arms, and proven men of high class, high taste, and high life. They are expected to have their own business dealings outside of the Corterie, something they can bring to the table, so to speak. The role of the servant is two-fold. A) It will be how PC's are recruited in game, spending a short tenure as a servant, then if proving themselves worthy by bringing something new and dynamic to the group as well as proven over time, They would be offered membership. B) It allows more character interactions. In reference to the Bard question above, for instance. A bard would make a fine servant, but such would be the extent of his interaction.

I dislike exclusionary groups so I thought the development of the Servant caste would really open the door for people who liked the idea, wanted to get involved, but really didn't fit the restrictions of Members. Naturally though, the role of servant is one that has requirements of its own. Individuals breaking the persona of "high society" by speaking out against the group, drawing unwatned attention, or besmirching the name of the man they serve, is something that wouldn't end well for them.

Vanquishried

I am definitely in! I am thinking of what to make though. Hope this is an awesome concept! Servants remind me of associates and the other guys of high rank are closer together.

DeputyCool

This is probably the best faction idea I have seen ever.

Pup

This really does look great.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals