Ooze Savant - Flagged Areas, Acid Splash and the Familiar

Started by WadeBennett, September 07, 2021, 11:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WadeBennett

I checked over previous suggestions concerning the Ooze Savant, largely from 2019, but please forgive me if I missed any more recent suggestion threads. Kind of grouping older comments here for areas I haven't explored.

Areas not flagged as Sewer
- Orbs Quest, first part. (unable to check second half of it)
- Per 2019, the Acid Tomb was not flagged for sewer but I haven't been able to run it to check.

Acid Splash
- It used to be set so that Acid Splash from an Ooze Savant would summon the little immobile baby ooze summon. I know it was changed once infinite cantrips were put in place, but that was a really fun flavor for the class. It made it feel like an actual ooze-focused person and less of an acid sorcerer with a bigger ooze familiar. I'd love to see even a fraction of it brought back to help it stand apart from other perks. It was suggested in 2019 to have a 10% chance of summoning an ooze, which may be fine. Another suggestion might be to only ever have Acid Splash summon a single immobile ooze and not have the splash summon another until the previous one is dead/unsummoned.

Ooze Familiar
- The ooze familiar doesn't have blindsight by default, which is a pretty unusual downside when it's a feature for the creature type by default. The ooze can be given See Invisibility, but that costs 100 mush and needs to be done every time the familiar is summoned. The ooze already loses any unique abilities like paralyze or engulf, possibly because it's not actually a Gelatinous Cube or other rare type, but it should at least have blindsight without the cost.
- Giving the summon the maximum amount of buffs it can have from mush costs 400 total mush (400lbs of destroyed matter) and needs to be done every time the ooze is summoned. Resting, server resets and crashes all require the ooze to be resummoned and rebuffed which can be really taxing if it's being used in a DM event or even just on a long quest. One suggestion from 2019 was to allow the ooze to persist between rests in order to reduce the upkeep penalty. I was thinking it might be better to flag the ooze as having been buffed, similar to putting points into a stronghold or faction, and then using a timer to track when to apply the buffs. This would keep the buffs through rests and through the much, much harsher crashes/resets. I don't know what a fair timer would be, but 24 hours would be a real blessing for people who aren't able to play as much.

Dredi

Honestly, having an infinate cast spell doing anything else would be a problem, but I imagine you could stick an "Also summons" on a level 1 or 2 spell, as long as there is something thematically appropriate.

Bacon_Cheese_Burger

How about this
- Acid arrow summons lvl 1 ooze?
That would acturly make the spell usefull.

WadeBennett

The ooze savant got a fantastic quality of life update with the /c possess_ooze, but hopefully the previous suggestions could still be considered:

- The ooze familiar doesn't have tremorsense/blindsight by default, which is a pretty unusual downside when it's a feature for the creature type by default. The ooze can be given See Invisibility, but that costs 100 mush and needs to be done every time the familiar is summoned. The ooze already loses any unique abilities like paralyze or engulf, possibly because it's not actually a Gelatinous Cube or other rare type, but it should at least have blindsight without the cost.

- To give the ooze its maximum amount of mush-buffs, you need to spend 400 total mush (400lbs of corroded items). This needs to be done every time the ooze is summoned. Resting, server resets and crashes all require the ooze to be resummoned and rebuffed which can be really taxing if it's being used in a DM event or even just on a long quest. One suggestion from 2019 was to allow the ooze to persist between rests in order to reduce the upkeep penalty. This would make it similar to the Elemental Archer who can prep their arrows and have them between rests. I would like to renew that suggestion to help make the ooze feel like an actual 'character' rather than just a temporary summon.

KreShar

Bump on these great suggestions. The mush/corrode gameplay loop is very tedious and not fun rn. Having buffs last through rests would be great.

Also marking the Orbs and Acid Tomb quest as Sewer would be nice. Also marking all other drips quests as Sewer would be very helpful.

Also the 1/day crumble really doesn't make sense anymore on this setting.

KreShar

Bump on above. Having ooze familiar last through rest would be a huge quality of life addition.