Matilda de los Milagres - The Not So Loved RRrrRrs

Started by granny, August 17, 2013, 04:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granny

[INDENT]Well... Madama Milagres reaches an end.

I am not pushing my will against the community. I got a couple of supporters, but to receive such negative comments, including from the DM team, who called her accent "ridiculous" ... or "like reading a 12 year old's worst attempts at like accenting things"...

... it saddens me a lot.

I love this community and I have put a lot of care when building this PC and her details.

I am sorry for offending you with my choices. I will not put any screenies as I do not feel on the mood for making such effort. For now, bear with her story and a picture WWind sent me.

I think I will take some time away to breath and lick my injured ego. For all that helped this PC to be fun for me to play, my gratitude. These have been good times, if we put aside the drama.

-- granny.[/INDENT]

[SIZE="1"][The younger Matilda when she was still known as Antonia Rosa][/SIZE]

Quote[INDENT][COLOR="dimgray"][tface="meddon"][SIZE="7"]M[/SIZE][/tface]atilda has not always been Maria Matilda Mercedes de los Milagres. This name was born after she left her modest and wild Tethyrian life to seek riches and power in the effervescent streets of the City of Coin, the capital of Amn. Before the change, she was known as Antonia Rosa and lived with very little, her family being part of the poorest of Tethyr, not owning a single finger of their hands upon the lands of the country, needing to work for the nobles, mostly falling victims of their authoritarian ruling.

In that time, Antonia had biggest ambitions for her life and upon reaching her sixteen summers, she ran to Amn, leaving her family to become Maria Matilda Mercedes de los Milagres, or just Milagres, as she would be known from then.

Through her unique beauty and special magnetism she came to meet a famous procuress of Athkatla, who offered Matilda a chance of work. The "Madama", as this kind of woman was known back in Amn and Tethyr, taught Matilda all she would need to know. Through hypnotism and charms, Milagres was tamed to be more docile and to learn social skills, coming to be one of the most successful harlots of the brothel, bringing envy upon many of the women that worked there.

The ascending ladder met its climax in the night that a most satisfied customer handed Milagres this obsidian mirror, which was found in one of his travels to Maztica. Her charms kissed the mirror away from his hands, making the archeologist to offer the obsidian preciosity as payment for her attentions.

After this she saw her blood boil. Matilda and the obsidian mirror had the strangest of connections. Diving into it, she became aware of how much potential she had and how much of it was being wasted away by the Madama, or so she thought. Her mind started to spin. The thought of a woman like her to go serving without having recognized her beauty, her nobility, her pure and magnificent lineage, that enraged her. She was sure that the Madama did not give enough praise to her qualities; Milagres deserved a better post in the brothel. For ignoring that, the Madama would pay.

The angst had grown to an impossible weight and one night a powerful radiance came from the rooms of the brothel, turning it into a sun that had risen in the middle of the night, the Cowled Mages coming to investigate the odd happening. The Madama was found dead upon her bed, surrounded by the most strange arcane artifacts and magical trinkets. The Mages left the brothel with the woman's body announcing the people that she was an warranted sorcerer that finally met her death due to misuse of her powers.

After the episode, the brothel would lose in reputation and wealth, the patrons preferring to avoid its haunted chambers. Noticing the imminent fall, Matilda managed to take control of it and assumed the title of Madama for herself. Using similar methods of her former Madama, she enticed many girls and boys into joining her flock, which would become known as The Virtues of Madama Milagres. With the new management, the brothel slowly turned more into a house of entertainment, where many would come for diverse interests, the lustful ones losing weight in the final gains to political games and shady businesses.

Everything flourished and was fine until the day the Nightning came. Matilda was desperate. The Enthralled Drow would not fall to her charms. Her flock was in danger. Her chance to keep control and hold power was lost. She sought counseling with the mirror, asking for help… and through the visions offered by her “espejo”, she took a decision. Maybe the hardest of decisions she had taken in years.

In deep fear and anxiety, she gathered her “niños” and “niñas” to talk. The chamber was incredibly well decorated with flowers and fruits. It was as if she had intentions of hosting the last party for the end of the world. Upon the table, odd things for a feast: bottles of venom, all sorts of blades and whips... bouquets of fruits glowing with strange lights, and more.

And Matilda... she was more beautiful than ever. Flowing voluminous skirts of hellish red, a shawl of intricate golden brocades, her hair dressed in delicate braids rolled around her shoulders. Oh... her magnetism and charming mannerisms were never as alluring as they were this night. She looked at the mirror as she talked to them. She was kind, she offered them tender memories. Their present slowly got drowned into the call of the past and into the remembering of things that never were. In the middle of this sea of roses, words floated with powerful, commanding blast: "Now, please, let your blood bath the floor, for this is the only way to please me now. Be that so no Virtue stands breathing in this room. Kiss Death, niños".

With that... they all turned one against the other; smiling, kissing, and… killing. Daggers turned in fatal caresses and the sweetest venoms were offered as if they were the last ambrosia. So skilled they were into pleasing and so better they became into killing. After so many years of harnessing of their potential, Matilda allowed a tear to escape her eye. It was sad and beautiful at the same time to witness their talents being displayed in such a manner. A rare sight, indeed.

Soon Matilda would be the only breathing soul, dark fumes of darkness coming from the mirror to swallow the flickering lights away from the candles and soon, away from her eyes. As the shadows embraced Milagres with their cold lace, her veins started bleeding, her powers flowing away from her body, slipping past her fingers, drained by the mirror. With that, she faints only to awake days after in an odd village devoured by the Night where a portal was awaiting her with a new chance to go on living.[/COLOR][/INDENT]

xXCrystal_Rose

Well I liked her at least. She was a very creative addition. Her whining was annoying but helped build the picture of her attitude and lifestyle!

Ook

I liked her, didn't mind the accent, and don't care what anyone else says about it.

Yalta

I thought she was kind of eccentric and flavoursome. :)

Aethereal

The only real thing I found a bit puzzling was not being able to confer the RRrrRrr's with some kind of sound I could hear, that actually gave it value.

Good concept, good idea with the RrrRr's in theory, but it would seem it was a bit overdone and so all of this has come as a consequence of that fact.

Take a break. Breaks are good. See you when you come back, refreshed.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

VengefulSeraphim

I liked Matilda as a character. Take a break, come back fresh and ready with another when you feel like you want to dive back in.

Lannister

Who will I argue with now?

Garem

QuoteThese have been good times, if we put aside the drama.

Sleeper

An interestingly imaginative character, and one that I enjoyed interacting with and seeing what else the mirror may have revealed. Not to be unfortunately, and it is sad that a character is retired for such OOC reasons

SN

QFE:

Quote from: Aethereal;349882The only real thing I found a bit puzzling was  not being able to confer the RRrrRrr's with some kind of sound I could  hear, that actually gave it value.

Good concept, good idea with the RrrRr's in theory, but it would seem it  was a bit overdone and so all of this has come as a consequence of that  fact.

Take a break. Breaks are good. See you when you come back, refreshed.

scrappayeti

See, EfU, this is why we cannot have nice things. A unique character that falls outside the usual stereotypical gruff mucho men and sexy, slinky women? And with an accent? Hell no! But as usual, I find myself in direct artistic opposition to the majority, sigh. My two cents worth after I first met the character:

NeededanAlt

Minus being able to actually roll my "R"s when I read what Matilda said, I enjoyed the PC for her other nuiances that made her who she was.  Take a deep breath and step away for a moment if need be.  But keep your head up and continue on when the time is right.

TheTurboNerd

There was nothing wrong with the character, whatsoever. It was a good character and a good concept.

The excessive r's and scattered Spanish words for no reason undermined it completely.

Ryan

I don't think anyone's really offended by the accent, it just makes your character's dialogue a chore to read. Accents are hard to do right and can easily become distracting instead of endearing - my opinion? Relegate such character tics to descriptions (people don't ignore those,) or include indications of it every now and then in bracketed or asterisked emotes.

Anyway, as for the character herself, I think we always need haughty socialites to balance out gruff adventurers and sociopathic assholes, so I'm sad to see her go. I hope this is just a temporary retirement.

UnholyWon

I really enjoyed my interaction with the character. Unfortunately I think I was among the few that thought the accent was a bit over done, and could have been left to emote reminders of the accent.

If I was reading a novel where the author had the character speak as your's did, I would have likely quit reading the book. That is only my personal opinion, and my opinion is like my asshole, not everyone wants to lick it.

Take a break, and come back to us recharged and ready to deliver another cool character.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm so going to rob you Scrappayeti!