Herman was here

Started by The Crimson Magician, November 22, 2017, 01:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crimson Magician

[hide=the drawing board]10:51 PM general premise i got so far is of an old greybeard soldier type guy (possibly ilmateri fighter) whose previous experiences include his moral compass leading him to place bad consequences on himself and worse on those around him. possibl thinking of apping to be LN aasimar with it to heighten the gravity of distancing himself from innate morality and choosing human brashness over objective good as a sort of ends justifies means
10:51 PM method. goal to champion the choices of other exiles and others who embrace aberrant methods as they are truly sacrificing etc. in line with ilmater philosophy
10:51 PM i like that a lot
10:52 PM though i would do it without the aasimar
10:52 PM sure[/hide]

[hide=bio]This is the story of Herman Amar.

Herman grew up the son of a Tethyrean farming family. Looking for a life of more, he signed with a mercenary company and went on many missions and jobs that were often met with success. As time passed on, his knowledge and expertise grew to find himself guiding the company's actions by power of his wit, foresight, and strong moral compass. After a time, Herman and his associates (who were good and dependable men) were often held in high esteem and sometimes regarded as heroes by government officials and the common populace.

This went on for many years until around Herman's 40th birthday.

One fateful day, Herman and his company were had. They had accepted a contract from clergymen of the various Triad faiths. For reasons that Herman could only speculate on, this contract had been a set-up. Herman, his company, and the few priests acting as guides were captured and sold off as slaves to different buyers. Herman was forced to become a gladiator of sorts in the city underworld, where his reputation was infamy and his state of petty servitude was the source of his entertainment value.

Somewhere in these dark pits, Herman found the strength to maintain his sense of self. An Ilmateri priest, sold cheap to the same bidder as Herman, had died serving as a punching bag to a drugged-up bodyguard. While the man had physically crumbled, his spirit was never broken, held together by faith. Herman managed to get himself a crusty book that the late priest had found and used to transcribe some rote prayers and improvised verses.

Herman realized that he was suffering. He was suffering in a holy way, according to this book. Herman knew he had been betrayed. He had lived life according to goodly values and principles based on trust and community, and in the end he paid a heavy price for it. Not just for him, but for everyone who depended on him. He is bitter about this. For Herman, black and white morality became more grey and ambiguous. His struggles both internal and external began to fuel his appreciation for those who could withstand the pain, sacrifice up to the last drop, and become truly holy in the face of injustice and adversity.

At last, Herman's freedom came with another cost: the loss of the world, and the nearly-assured destruction of everything he held dear. Now, the rest of Herman's story remains unwritten.[/hide]

Hermanisms / Short story entry

[hide=screenshots / video palooza]

[hide=random pvp convo][/hide]

[hide=pvp video link]https://plays.tv/video/59d8ce595d42081fe0/the-hour-of-herman-and-maldwyn-efu?from=user[/hide]

[/hide]

zDark Shadowz

Fatal to have the sword removed? I knew it, I knew. Maldwyn should've learned & used Disarm...

Kinslayer988

<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

tantrum

Pup

I would have loved if we could have interacted more than that one trek below!
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

SkagHunter

Awesome character. It was great fun trekking to the deepest of depths and doing EC things with you man. The Honorable Knight among monsters was also really, really fun to see. Can't wait for your next!