How to host a singleplayer campaign in NWN?

Started by Vagrant Savant, July 15, 2015, 05:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagrant Savant

I've got a friend who picked up NWN (Diamond Edition, naturally) and we've wanted to play together. Unfortunately, they're not very interested in EFU (or roleplay servers in general) so I wanted to explore the possibility of figuring out how to host the main campaign to play it with them -- or more flavorful modules once I get past the technical barrier. Not a dedicated, persistent server, obviously. Just hosting.

I've never successfully hosted in other games like Minecraft or Terraria before, so even with the power of google, I've been at a loss of how to make something like this happen. A lot of guides and inquiries of NWN hosting specifically seem to revolve around the Gamespy era when it was much easier to do. I've tried simply adding a 5121 port forward to my router and getting my IP address to give to my friend, then loading a campaign through "Load Internet/LAN Game" in the NWN menu, but they still couldn't join.

Is anyone willing to give the very detailed steps to getting a hosted game to work?

NothingGoldCanStay

I seriously recommend skipping the hard part, and just use hamachi and play as if you were on a network. Otherwise go to portforward.com, find your router, find neverwinter nights, and strap in.

Paha

Your firewall blocks you on hardware level, the iron wall. You would likely need to open certain blocks for games in the modem settings. Hamachi indeed would be one that goes around that, and many use them to host games.