More Finessable Weapons

Started by Stranger, January 23, 2021, 06:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

Please add the Quarterstaff, Spear, Short Spear, and Scythe to the list of weapons that benefit from Weapon Finesse.

cmenden

I think some of these would be a bit silly, like scythe, spear, and probably even short spear

But finesse Quarterstaff would be wonderful!

I want to be able to be a dex rogue with a quarterstaff and live out my AD&D Unearthed Arcana Thief-Acrobat dreams!

KuroKitten

Not sure about making scythe finesseable, but adding more finesse weapons would allow increased build diversity, and allow some classic character archetypes that aren't really possible now (like the small, fast spear/staff-user).

Especially the spear, because they're a classic "finesse" weapon both in fiction and IRL. In fact, if spears were made finesseable, I'd almost certainly make a character that uses them with Finesse - I've had multiple character concepts floating around in my head that wouldn't work without that bit.

I'd also support adding it to the Katana, as it would make it not just a pure clone of the Bastard Sword.

Arelith also expands it to the Longsword, Scimitar, and Two-Bladed sword, but those may be too much for this server.

Wench

I'd agree with short spear/spear, longsword and staff being made finessed
Feed me my kid cuisine meal, or I will say the F word.

if she's your girl then why does her leitmotif appear in my battle theme bro  :/

Random_White_Guy

In all honesty I kind of hate how a class has to choose between burning a feat just to be more dexterous with weapons.

I just wish it would say "X weapons use strength, X weapons use Dexterity, to govern your use of it".

I don't even know if that's possible, or scriptable, or desirable?

But I think it'd be cooler than just tagging a few additional weapons onto a feat.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Dredi

I've certainly nothing against just..giving people weapon finess, or at least certain classes.
It always felt like an unnecessary tax on Dex classes.

Mushroom Mushroom

imo just give all classes weapon finesse for free.

Richørd

More finessable weapons would be nice and I honestly do not see a reason why scythes should not be made finesse weapons. It fits the style, the theme and I don't know any scythe dex builds that would be abuseable.
Quarterstaff is an absolute no-go on EfU unless every single quarterstaff in existence gets the free ambidexterity feats and stuff like that entirely removed. Rogues would go crazy with that.
Spear? Yes. But not shortspears.
Shortspears are simple weapons and would break balance too much as an easily accessible x3 crit weapon if combined with finesse.

The reason for why Weapon Finesse should remain the way it currently is (by that I mean it being a feat that you have to take manually) is because DEX builds get more bonuses than STR builds from their core stat.

STR is not a stat for any saves (aside from that AOE-knockdown spell, Balagarn's Iron Horn or whatever it's called I think?)
STR gives you AB and damage which is inferior to DEX's AB and AC. To hit more often and be hit less is more valuable than to hit just as often but harder.
The attack that doesn't land always deals zero damage.
Exactly why DEX and caster builds usually rule every single server that isn't EfU because of their higher level caps. STR builds are just horrible compared to them. The scaling of DEX compared to STR on higher levels is whack. But luckily we at least don't have to deal with that mess on EfU.

Electrohydra

Big fan of just giving everyone fineness like in 5e, though as I recall last time it was brought up DMs didn't like the idea.