Duelist Rework

Started by Stranger, March 11, 2019, 05:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

With the Duelist fighter perk under revision, I'd like to suggest an even more radical change.

An aesthetic not easily realized on EFU is a fencer who uses only a one-handed weapon, and no shield. I believe that it is possible to script the Duelist perk to provide a dodge bonus to AC as long as the off-hand remains empty, using the same architecture already created for "/c two-handed." Because dodge AC is less reliable than a shield's AC bonus (easily removed by a tanglefoot bag, for example), my proposed model gives a slight advantage to the shieldless style under normal conditions.

I've included other ideas I had that might grant the duelist a more distinct mechanical identity in combat, without making it too powerful. Attack of Opportunity manipulation is a matter of great finesse in PvP, very suitable for a dueling champion.

QuoteProposed Duelist:

Level 1: +3 Parry, +3 Taunt, +2 dodge AC while the off-hand remains empty
Level 5: Mobility, +3 dodge AC while the off-hand remains empty
Level 8: Defensive Roll, +4 dodge AC while the off-hand remains empty.

/c fighter_perk grants the Keen property to the main hand weapon for 1 turn.

[hide=Current Duelist]
Level 1: +3 Parry, +3 Taunt
Level 5: +1 AC vs. Piercing
Level 8: Dodge Feat

/c fighter_perk grants +1 attack and +1 AC while wearing cloth, light, or medium armor.[/hide]

Stranger

Opportunist as the level 8 may be too strong. Crushing the potion chug seemed like a fun idea, but it would probably win way too hard.

Yes. Editing to Defensive Roll. Dragging out the magnificent last stand in a duel.

Stranger

It should be further remarked that shields are a significant source of saving throws. There are many static examples of this in the module, even if we disclude custom loot.

This perk disables an item slot for, basically, coolness factor.