Unrestrict Class Tinkering System

Started by Half-elf Troubadour, January 23, 2019, 07:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Half-elf Troubadour

So, it makes sense that wizards would be good at alchemy and druids good at herbalism, but I think cooking and tinkering shouldn't necessarily be limited to classes.

In the description of tinkering it says it's used to fix armor and operate siege engines, which seems something a fighter might just be as skilled in doing as a rogue. 

Just my two groats.

Rocinante

+1 completely agree. It doesn't make sense for something like cooking to be limited to a specific set of classes.

XzarWizrobe

Is it actually limited to class? I thought it was simply "if you're this class, you get a couple +'s to your roll.

I don't think they'd truly limit cooking to certain classes!

TsunamiWombat

My understanding is Tinkering is Tinkering + 1/2 Craft Trap + 1/2 Spellcraft? Or something to that effect

XzarWizrobe

QuoteTinkering skill = 1/2 Lore skill + 1/2 Craft Trap skill + Rogue levels + Wizard levels + EFUSS Tinkering

I ummed and uhhed about the wizard bonus. Open to discussion and suggestions about it.

Perhaps half wizard level, or none at all for tinkering? I'd imagine a rogue would be a bit more hands on in the sense of tinkering than a wizard would be.

Cruzel

I guess it depends on what the intended use and general type of final products of tinkering churns out?

Wizards already get the boost to alchemy which churns out magical things. Nature dudes get Herbalism.

Rogues getting tricks and tools makes a lot of sense.  Maybe bards, since they also get UMD and are fairly versatile?

TsunamiWombat

I would agree, Bards and Rogues should get bonuses to tinkering, being the classes that get UMD. Definitely don't tie it to UMD though, it's got enough going on as it is. So just replace Wizard with Bard.