Engineering Items - new purpose? aka Return of Craft Trap

Started by Conan The Conqueror, September 20, 2009, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conan The Conqueror

With the addition of the EFUSS system, craft trap no longer serves a purpose in the general workings of the server. There are a number of items that still give a bonus to the craft trap skill, such as tool belts or tinkering items. While I know it's probably low on the priority list, I was suggesting that either these items to be modified to boost skills in some  other manner, or craft trap be assigned to some new purpose.

Another alternative would be to keep craft trap a part of the engineering skill rolls, just a minor part/bonus.

I would actually like to see the return of true trap making, and just create tool kits, craft items, and recipes for that purpose. That way it would be just like herbalism or alchemy, where rogues and rangers could find 'parts' and designs/schematics for trap devices.

Pup

I really like this idea.  Particularly the part about recipes/schematics for specific traps.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

TheWastesAreFrozen

I'd like to see craft trap make all the rogue-type items in general. Traps, Caltrops, tanglefoot bags, improved tanglefoot bags, lock picks, crowbars...whatever

FleetingHeart

Crowbars would fall under blacksmithing. Tanglefoot is already craftable. Lock picks equate to blacksmithing as well.

And really, so should caltrops.

However, I would not mind seeing caltrops become more available.

lovethesuit

Better yet, how about the crafting of traps?

Pup

"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

Conan The Conqueror

Blacksmithing can be a part of the "Trap Making" process. Much like herbalism involves core skills and efuss.

Tool Making for example could be Craft Trap + Lore + Blacksmithing or some such. You could also make use of the other Core crafting skills, which would allow for DMs to create items that increase crafting/skill options.

Yalta

I was going to ask a DM exactly this as i have started playing a Gondite PC who has a large amount of spent points in Craft Trap, which were taken before the new EFUSS system and i have collected lots of items with Craft Trap bonuses.

I guess the questions are, is Craft Trap:

1. Entirely redundant,
2. Should represent something new or
3. Can it now be used to do actually make trap type  devices/items

Yalta

Maybe a DM could make a call on this one?

Nothing urgent but could be good if implemented?

FleetingHeart

It now represents itself. Craft trap. And, just like Craft Armor and Craft Weapon, is not currently used for anything. Nor do I have any plans of making it into something.

I much prefer our current system of simply going out and finding traps. It is straight forward, to the point, and doesn't require an extra burden of work to go out and find parts to assemble into traps.