Graphic spikes?

Started by MexicanGunslinger, August 13, 2011, 03:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGunslinger

Seriously every 2-3mins get a spike in the game, it is not a lag spike however. Tried changing that nwn file tried changing graphics options etc etc etc, is there a simple override or something?

Wrexsoul

Do you know if it happens in a specific type of area/When something particular happens?

Canzah

I'm actually having a hard time pinning down an exact reason myself, but I've tried adjusting the NWN.ini file, I tried downloading an override which turns my tga files into.. well... some other type. Neither has worked though.

I have it happening to me in areas with lots of placeables, buildings etc. I have it happen when in crowded areas/large battles. I have it happening when new creatures enter into my line of vision. But also, I'd say it happens almost at random from time to time.

Conan The Conqueror

From what I've seen and chatted to others about, NWN has no cache system for loading models or placeables. So everytime they come into your visual range you have to load them. The more placeables/creatures in the area, the bigger the sudden spurt of downloading will be.

Certain scripts can cause lag spikes as well. For example, if you are in a big battle and someone dies. The death corpse/bag/loot script can cause a brief 'pause' in combat, and sadly enough, it can give you false hope that you got off some healing in time or ran away fast enough.

Since NWN doesn't handle multi-core processors really, you don't even get to use that extra power under the hood that your PC has to overcome these hurdles.

So sadly, you either have really bland/empty areas that load/run relatively smoothly...or amazing really well detailed areas that generally cause your PC to sputter the every time you enter an area.

I remember the sloped road used to be notorious for this, just because of tree placeables. :(