Reduce difficulty on the Mist Farm quest

Started by Pandip, February 17, 2013, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandip

I know that all quests aren't built to be the same and that some need to have a different degree of challenge compared to others, but this quest seems brutal for the low levels that it's geared towards. 50% concealment on enemies, dazing ammo on 2d6 sneak attack kobolds, and near constant fortitude saves to resist Mist damage when going off of a path that doesn't seem as clear as it should be are all really painful setbacks. And I haven't even gotten to the final boss, who was immune to all of our attacks and took a cure crit after we'd wasted our supplies getting him to Badly Wounded. The loot was pretty awful as well. The boss might have been resistant to only slashing and piercing; I didn't have a blunt weapon in my inventory to check. But for PC's that are 4-6, it was brutal. There doesn't feel like any substantial risk vs. reward ratio for this quest. The only reason we survived the quest was because of the only decent piece of loot at the end, which I had to use to kill the boss.

Opinions?

xxWhisperingWindsxx

I couldn't speak to what the boss was like, we had to abandon the quest long before that.  I'll grant you, we had a low-ish level 3 man party.  But 1 PC perma'd, the other fugued multiple times.  The attacks against us were pretty rough for the levels/class we had and we couldn't hit but maybe 1/5 of the time.  And that was just the spawns.

As it sits right now, without using some OOC knowledge, I'll not give it another shot.
[20:20] <crump> nature's not outright trying to murder everyone there, it's playing gentle, lures everyone into a false sense of security. then it strikes. chicago's weather is the bdsm of nature systems

Numos

I've never had to abandon it before. But the spawns 'are' extraordinarily difficult compared to what you face in the Granary or the Farm. Although there are fewer of them, they hit for an extraordinary amount of damage, AND can eat through Blur - potions of which are typically a nice "Oh shit!" button for lower-end quests. That alone ups the difficulty a significant amount.

Ended up using a lot of supplies to get by with a fairly well balanced party with a wizard and some buffed warriors. Its a really nice and atmospheric quest, and I think its a shame its not ran more often in lieu of easier tasks.

Deception

I like a good challenge. Chug those CSW!

Weresquid

The boss is pretty insane, but otherwise this quest isn't that hard. You just have to be careful and plan ahead a little. Did it yesterday with my rogue and a low level wizard, and while yes, we failed spectacularly at killing the boss the rest of it went ok. You just have to be willing to use a few supplies, and if the group is small enough you need some summons to draw those sneak attacks.

As for the boss I have no idea. The only time I've seen him defeated was by a superpowered group of 5-6 people who ran through the quest like it was a race, so I didn't actually have time to see what they did to bring him down.

However, I suspect that one too is just a matter of distracting him from your squishies while dealing damage quickly. Throw summons at him, use sneak attacks, magic missiles, you name it.

As a side note, if you enter this quest without at least two fighters and a cleric to back you up, you're clearly the kind of player who can die and have fun during the same hour.

MetallicSlime

I think the difficulty on this one is good. Challenging, and unless you're a certified squad of crushbots you need to think ahead a bit. The loot as I've seen it is far below what you'd get for less challenging quests in the same level range. Could do for some tinkering maybe?

AllMYBudgies

Whenever I've ran this quest it leaves me feeling a touch underwhelmed. While the quest up to boss is a challenge, it is manageable and enjoyable; this changes when reaching the boss, however. The boss is beyond the difficulty level of the quest and I believe unsuitable, with need for toning down. When, if ever, he is beaten the reward is hardly worth the trouble.

It's a shame because it is an atmospheric addition to the quest trail of the server.

Coldburn

Without going too much into the details, it looks 2 seperate occasions of Damage Resistance/ Immunity trigger on the boss, both unable to be pierced by +1 weapons. Bludgeoning, Piercing or Slashing makes no difference, and he's absorbing well over Stoneskin amounts. Appaearantly he's only affected by non-Physical damage, and even then he's drinking several potions so even prepared low level casters can't bring him down.

I would suggest to remove 1 of the 2 triggered Damage Resistance/ Immunity buffs.

HalflingPower

I think this is a great quest, but the boss should have half the DR he has in my opinion.

Difficulty isn't a bad thing but if you don't have a greataxe he is quite a pain to kill!