A young adventurer way over her head

Started by Miraie, July 16, 2018, 06:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miraie

Ms Khanna was a Lawful Evil half-elven INT monk of Loviatar, whom she worshiped under false name. She hailed from Memnon, where she worked as a novice in a temple. When the Dread came, that is also where she lost her arm while hiding and surviving until her supplies ran out. She died an inglorious death trying to flee over a wall as a dark elven blade struck her down from behind.

I played Khanna with the idea that she would be a fairly human and reasonable evil character. Instead of taking Loviatar to the extreme, I thought to focus on the importance of understanding suffering. This made Ms Khanna surprisingly emphatetic, though it frustrated her to see people blind to the suffering of others.

Even though she had a strong community focus, Khanna herself was fairly weak. Her build was atrocious, and her RP involved around not really knowing how to fight. Indeed, her two strengths - fishing and healing - were not quite enough most of the time. She could scarcely produce enough supplies for herself, and her skill at healing failed her when she set out to test it on her first adventure. Regardless, she slowly built up the courage to step up. She came to understand that she was supposed to get hurt - no amount of armor and preparation would have spared her that. Alas, she never got to surprise people with her ghoulish style! Moreover, she was constantly depriving herself of supplies and food in order to make sure she would not take more than she was giving. This was nearly enough to see her become an ascetic, but she fell before the hardship she put herself through had any chance to hone her body, soul and mind.

Other people were definitely the core of Khanna's RP and existence. She was highly inquisitive and I enjoyed finding out what made other characters tick and act as they did. I can hardly list all the interactions I liked, for they were many. One particularly enjoyable plot started with Khanna offering to help Ellie to tend to the poor at the Rest. They got along swimmingly until Sir Krows saw into the budding peasant's soul and condemned her for Nastiness. This confused the poor woman, who did not understand she had given praise to an Evil deity all her life. Better yet, she felt that Ellie treated her with suspicion ever since. Though she was only an uncertain woman of some harsh beliefs, Khanna thought that Ellie saw a tyrant and a manipulator in her. She repented vigorously, though Loviatar's favor would not have brightened her soul even if She was there to hear Khanna's prayers.

I thought long and hard about the path Khanna would take faction-wise. For someone so keen on emulating the philosophy of the closed fist (a sweet inspiration from Jade Empire), the machinations of the Tower were not an option. If they succeeded, would that kind of safety not prevent a lot of pain and thus chances for growth? Though she liked Sir Auxmere's idea of Exodus on many levels, she never lived to see the Bulwark blossom. Khanna very nearly became a proper Exile, for they seemed a group that was actually interested in gathering allies and fostering unity in order to defeat the Dread. It may have helped that she did not feel strongly about deaders. In fact, Khanna would have loved to learn more from the less good doctor, but he too was gone all too soon. She did like Ms Wormsinger well enough. I imagine she might not have leaned this way so strongly had she not been cast out from the Rest. Meanwhile, the Paladins would have been an appealing group to aid if they had not been so divisive.

I always wanted to take Khanna meditate on Manyface's sacred puddle, but it was not to be! Likewise, I was hoping Khanna could have confessed her sins to the more gooder doctor. She would have told everything, holding nothing back - such a truthful soul, truly. It would also have been exciting to see Khanna trying to follow Elodie's magic instructions further. She wanted to tell Mercy that beauty within is more important than beauty without, and that the remark she made about her and numbers hurt her - though it also helped her to grow. It would have been exciting to see von Venator's vampires. Had she lived longer, she would have surely trained more with Mirna, Notten and Vair.  She really wanted to be friends with them. There are also a few things she wanted to do and a few things she did that would still be spoilers.

Khanna joined the battle that took her life because she saw Al'Aif among those who were to attack the lift. Knowing that she alone did not amount to much, she thought that at least she could do something to keep her fellow from Calimshan alive. The snake carmer was, in a sense, the first and the last person she met. Although she died while healing Ikran. That is far less poetic.

When her last fight was mostly over, I thought that Khanna could recognize almost every soul in the fugue with her. It was pleasing.

Svordaloz

Alas, another taken from us, too soon!

I did really enjoy the few interactions we had, however brief.

I await your next idea eagerly.

henchman93

Thanks for making a very human, interesting character. :)

- Al'Aif

weekend_superhero

RIP

She seemed like such a fragile soul amidst the horrors of the new world. I always got a real 'fish out of water' vibe from her and had a feeling she was done for when she went with the, err, "lift-suicide-bomber-crew".
It was a fun change of pace talking in the square when nothing was going on, with someone who seemed almost a commoner.

Also, another big OOC-plot twist in the fugue. Torilla tavataan. Your English is better than mine, you cur! *shakes fist in the air*

Silvermoon_Dervish

I kind of felt bad about the whole "peer into her soul and condemn her for Nastiness" thing, even if I tried to leave it implied rather than make an outright stereotype statement. >>
Yip yip

Still Trying

Oh no! Miira was trying to help her...I got that fish out of water vibe too. I've always had a soft spot for mechanically disadvantaged ordinary joe  type characters, and this one was fantastic! I had no idea what she truly was!

cmenden

I really enjoyed this PC so MUCH!

I hope we cross paths again on a future one!