Ward Revitalization

Started by Lalena Steele, July 28, 2022, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalena Steele

So there is a problem: the major houses have gone from inactive to effectively dead.  I know I am certainly part of the problem (deflecting to join a minor house).   So I'm posting this thread to brain storm ways to revitalize the major houses and the ward.  Maybe we are just generally in a slump right now and when summer winds down and people have more time for video gaming things will pick back up, but in case they aren't I would like to brainstorm various player and possible DM assisted avenues to inject new life into the main social and shopping hub for the server.  A vibrant and active ward is one of the most sure ways to ensure people are engaging with DM and player plots  in my experience.

Possible solutions:

1.  A Peerage prelude:  Some sort of house exclusive plot where those who sign-up get their house gear for free, maybe even some special piece of house gear.  I would imagine the prelude for each house would be and should be exclusive to each house and play off mysteries and intrigue in the house.  For Vesltra it could be that Lord Norbert is dying and time for the heir to be decided must come. Will it be his favorite daughter? Will it be the Red Lion? Or maybe the power mad Ruul will try to murder his siblings to claim the title of lord for himself.  You could have retainers have to pick a side and cause internal house strife as the ward anxiously watches the power struggle.   
Don't have as strong of ideas for the other houses as I am not as familiar with them, but you get the idea. 

2. Maybe activate the lands each of the houses hold more.  I think all the major houses, outside of maybe Moonspear, hold some sort of lands outside the ward.  These could be activated to create interesting house plots or new ways to engage with the houses and possibly tied into the first suggestion.  Also giving perks for these lands exclusive to retainers, like Orzans  not needing to pay to sleep in 92, or Velstrans not needing to pay to stay at the Velvet, might draw people in.

I am getting stumped on ideas for more player driven ways to increase house activity.  If I was good at recruitment and creating house plots I would probably still be in a major house. If people have ideas post them.

Ultimately the setting is most fun when there are lots of active factions all playing off each other.