Cleric Holy Symbols

Started by putrid_plum, May 18, 2012, 10:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

putrid_plum

Now, I know Mort did a great job scripting this for clerics and paladins.  My concern with it is that it's way, way, WAYYYYY to easy to obtain a rank 5 spell slot.  I mean literally you could just quest train and demand prayers from everyone for buffs and in a week or so BAM free fully beefed cleric amulet.  Also you don't lose power when you die or anything so you could be a L2 cleric with a rank 5 spell.  It's a bit silly.

I suggest perhaps it should improve only so far untill you convert players to your God.  Also, if you die some of your 'prayer' power should be lost as too.

I know people will say it's not that easy to do but truthfully it is that easy to do and get.  If they say otherwise it's only to keep the current system in place which is very unbalanced I feel.

Caddies

I've not used the system, I do agree it should be scaled to level though. If what you say is true and you can cast L5 spells as a L5 cleric who's died, then that's a bit whack and should probably be changed.

Otherwise if you're getting a good deal of prayers and generally being a dope cleric, I see no problem with getting +L5 slots and even greater buffs. Clerics are a difficult class to play well, and quite a bit weaker relative to wizards.

VanillaPudding

No, it's a bonus spell slot. You still are required to have the character levels capable of using it just like any other item that grants a bonus slot. The bonuses simply have no effect (are useless) if you can't utilize the bonus spell level.

Valo56

That's incorrect. With divine spells you are able to cast the spells even if you don't have the level. The exception to this is paladins and rangers which must be level 4+ before they are able to cast spells. You must still have the required ability score, of course, but a level 4 paladin with a level 4 spellslot can go around with Holy Sword prepared in his spellbook if he has a 14 WIS.

VanillaPudding

Um, no.

Feel free to create a character and try it out in a single player module or simply read the nwn wiki page.

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_slot (As it also explains, you must have at least "0" spells available for a bonus slot to work, and not "-" spells available. Thus, a paladin would need to be level 14 for your theory concerning holy sword to work)

Valo56

I've done it before. Many times. I know it works. I don't need to test anything out because I have done it.

In truth, I've never done it on EfU. But I have done it on Arelith in particular, where I had a level 6 paladin with numerous spellslot items, going around with GMW, Freedom of Movement, Splendor, Strength, Aura of Glory, and keeping a half-dozen deafening clang and divine favor ready.

I know of one cleric in particular below level 9 who is casting Summon Monster V, however, on EfU.

Caddies

I think Valo is right, this has happened to a Ranger I played on EFU.

One_With_Nature

Valo is indeed right, as long as you have the require ability score. The same can work for other caster classes with meta magic as well. e.g. If i had a wizard with a bonus spell slot 4 and was only level 6 (access to 3rd circle) I could use extended 3rd spell as the fourth slot etc..

Divine Intervention

If any more confirmation was needed, I have witnessed this occuring on efu in the past few weeks.  Low level clerics have been able to cast SR or whatever else with the bonus slot.

However, speaking from experience in gaining powr on an amiulet, even with 8-9 followers all praying regularly for a week I never got above a level 2 slot.  I agree there should be something to stop people simply hoarding prayers for buffing random quest groups though.

Voluminous Cloak

To get above a level 2 slot, you need CONVERTS. CONVERTS greatly increase the power of the amulet.

I have gotten six converts on my PC, and it's maxed out. Doesn't mean I won't stop looking for more, but I earned the 5th circle slot. :P

One_With_Nature

Don't assume to know how the system works because i think it varies deity to deity, i know its been different on a few clerics i've tested. But i don't think its unbalanced.

xXCrystal_Rose

I don't see a problem with it! Of course some people might powergrind to boost themselves but for most people it's not that easy. You gotta work to gain your benefits rather than it simply being given to you for free for being a certain level.

Damien

Awkward...valo knowing more about clerics than VP.

If you already have five converts then you are just abusing the system >_> Conversion should be a massive thing and honestly should require a dm to oversee it or for you to notify the dms with the progression of it before it should be allowed.

Valo56

For Cloak's cleric, I'd say it's more him being of the Three and One and getting folks wanting to join the Order than any actual abuse. Conversion should be a massive thing for PC's, but having it be long, drawn out, with you telling a DM why you are doing it every step of the way is just a hassle.

Conversion is personally my least favorite as far as "types" of RP goes. It always feels awkward, so I tend to just get try and get through it quickly or quietly, watching some miracles, hearing some sermons, accompanying the priest in question, then later saying "Okay, I'll take my oaths as a faithful" a few days later.

I know of two clerics with level 5 spellslots and they both earned it.