Some 3-7 quest suggestions

Started by Thomas_Not_very_wise, November 01, 2008, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas_Not_very_wise

"The cave of the Young Dragon."

A cave filled with wyrmlings, the boss is a re sized dragon for the occasion.

"The Fields of Rot."

A portion of the bog infested with twisted creatures.

The boss is a cleric of Moander and a Shambling Mound.

The Lost temple

A temple within the wooded ruins is mysteriously open

I would like some more 3-7 quests out there, most of them are undead at the moment and that places hardship on our rogues

Vlaid

Not bad suggestions for quest themes. Indeed a lot of undead quests, but the server is pretty much founded on undead conceptually so it makes sense.

Still good quest themes. I like the Moander one, it's slightly more unique. A dragon wyrmling den is a little....over the top for what PC's I think. That's not really a scripted quest scenario.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at the toolset to design some of these..,*Shrugs*

Gippy

Any quest with a dragon - even a young one - should be suitably epic, IMO. 'Gonna gonna kill dragonz need tank plz!' I also agree that it might be nice to have some more 2-7 quests, as volts/goblin tunnels/hoaran crypts were staples of the old server.

Mort

Yeah. I'll definitely work on some. I've been brainstorming, myself, as to what would fit and be well meshed.

Disco

The server needs more beholders IMO.

Nihm

My suggestion would be a two  - part spider quest.  The first part is just the usual "kill everything and find some chests at the end."  But there are also webs there which cover a cave and are much harder to bash than standard webs.  Every time you hit one, a randomly selected few spiders drop down - including Dire and a small chance of even a Queen spider.
The second part will be much like the ettercap warren of the underdark but with spoilers.  At the end of that you can bash a nest of eggs which spawns a token.
When ten tokens are given out, the spider forest is cleansed of spiders, OR the people who did it the most times may embark on a DM quest to cleanse the forest for good.
When this is done, the quest remains though bashing the eggs drops nothing and the spiders are now found only in this quest area.

Nihm

I also think the server could use some Treants.  Some of the forests may contain beings that don't like boisterous newcomers trampling through their silent reaches.  There could be an area or two in which evil trees, ghostly druids calling lightning, and musk creepers will attack those who come to explore.
One of the bosses could even be Faceless, who can shapeshift into some nasty stuff.  He may be flanked by undead skinned jaguars.

This quest would be characterized by lots of mist, lots of creeping vine spells (triggered by traps) and lightning strikes.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Werewolf brood

A small pack of werewolves has been spotted in a certain area of the forest. You've been hired to remove them.

I am thinking Starwood or Webbed woods maybe?

AKMatt

These are some great ideas.  I would suggest instead of the wyrmling dragon quest, you could use wyverns.  I know there are at least there are at least three wyverns on Ymph, because I've seen a young one and that implies parents.  Wyverns might even work for the 3-7 level range (not sure, but you fight them in Baldur's Gate, which had a level cap at 7).

A sunken ship full of treasure that has become a reef might be cool too, where you fight sharks and eels (and any other sea creatures that might be available in the toolset).  The end boss could be a feeding frenzy of sharks, implemented the same way as the swarm bats, only way tougher.

Luke Danger

How about this?

Nightriser Forge:

Militia Intel says that the Risers are getting weapons from a small forge, and they need someone to take it out and bring back some of the leftover ore in the forge.

Boss: Nightriser Commander
Minions: Nightriser, Nightriser Guard, Nightriser Archer

Basically, at the end, you take out the commander and a few non-combat risers, and you find that the forge is useless to Ymph due to dark magics. And when you return to contact, he says 'Great work, but a scout says the Riser's are preping to return, and we can't hold it. Your work was not wasted however, this will give us some time to prepare for any activity, and the ore you found will hopefully be put to good use.'

Mort

Yes. Keep posting ideas here, very helpful to inspire some creativity. I'll probably modify them a bit, but it's very helpful!

Thanks!

Xorisai

You know, you could easily use a dragon/wyrmling as a boss on a quest and then script it to "fly away" when defeated.  That way it could be a credible scripted quest boss without creating the problem of "massive dragon death."

Maybe they exist and I just haven't found them yet, but I'd like to see more underwater quests (and not just because I play an Umberlant!).  This is the first server I've been on that does underwater areas well and I think it would be great if it took some advantage of that.  Some ideas:

- A Sahuagin sea cave, led by a cleric of Sekolah.  You could even make the chief cleric a were-shark :)

- An underwater shipwreck, infested by undead drowned men, maybe Lacedons (underwater ghouls).  Give the ghoulish pirate captain an undead parrot, too.

- A sea cave lair, with a covey of Sea Hags (three bosses at once!), served by a small tribe of Merrow (aquatic ogres).

Any underwater quest would have to be balanced so air pockets come at just the right time - not too soon, or it would be too easy, and not too late, or low-Con PCs would have a lot of trouble.  Quests that make you burn all your gold on Bubbleberries won't be taken very often.

AKMatt

Definitely add more underwater quests.  My favorite quest in the underdark was the Tomb of Jubal, and I think what I liked most about it was that it had that sense of desperation right at the end of the underwater portions where you wonder if you're going to be able to get through in time to avoid drowning.

The Pollution in the Canal quest had a very similar feel, and was likewise very fun to take (although this one seemed to have more frequent air pockets, which worked out well to give a different feel from Jubal's).

Allatum

Alienist cult/aberration slave colony. I'd suggest ties to an Aboleth without having an actual Aboleth to fight. Instead you could have a cult leader or slave taskmaster, along with some Skum.