Tracking PCs

Started by Caddies, April 07, 2009, 11:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddies

If I recall properly, the ability for rangers and druids to identify PC tracks was disabled due to people using it in Sanctuary to track their PvP targets around the city.

I think its a shame that this sweet ability was lost due to abuse! I suggest that it is reinstated, but with qualification that it can only be used in 'wilderness' areas and, moreover, a strict statement of parameters for its use from the DM team to avoid future laming of this otherwise sweet perk.

Ommadawn

I like the idea as well, as long as it's not abused.

Cruzel

It's sort of like the names above the head thing. People will lame it, even unintentionally. Just look at how anyone with 2 ranger levels (for the wands, obviously) spams tracking whenever they go into an area.  I almost never see a ranger or higher level druid do this when travelling with a group.

Seeing a "You notice human tracks far to the NE. (Aubrey Craddock)" and then saying "So, Craddock was just here!" Even though Craddock never went through that particular transition, and had taken an entirely different path.  That is sort of the problem with tracking as it is now. There is no way to differentiate where an object came from /has been, essentially making you track something from footprints you wouldn't possibly be able to have seen, yet you do.  

There are ways to add this in so a PC would only show up if  they were literally being followed /going along the same path, but they would either put too much strain on the server, or make Johannes have a heart attack.  Neither is desirable, I think!

Using the -name or -race parameters might help, but the same problem is there!

Caddies

Well, I'm not so sure the PC's name comes up in the information. Obviously this is undesirable.

Cruzel

AFAIK As it is now, the name will show up depending on your roll vs the DC (Unless it was changed fairly recently, which I doubt!)

Pup

It used to tell you the PC name if you passed the DC.

I really miss this feature and would love to see it returned.  And not just because I play a tracker.  :P
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

MexicanGunslinger

I really miss this feature and would love to see it returned.

Ommadawn

I'd be happy if tracking just showed PC's presences like NPC's. Names are not essential, and raise issues best left unraised.

Egon the Monkey

Yeah. There are no player race monsters about other than Flayer Stargazers anyway, and to specifically follow one person you could always get a DM to let you do it. Just stopping PCs being invisible to tracking would be good.

efuincarnate

I really miss the feature and would love to see it returned.

Snoteye

I will give this suggestion my eternal stamp of disapproval.

Howlando

The problem is that tracking should not be radar. You should not be able to "track" someone if you are on the southern edge of the map and they just entered from the north.

I would be all for a system that allowed you to track the actual pathways of PCs, but that is impossible.

HOWEVER what I would like, and what I believe is possible, is a system for ranger PCs to go up to a transition, "track it," and through some complicated formula receive information about what PCs passed through the transition and when(to or fro).

Just another of those things pending a scripter with the time, inclination, energy, interest, talent to do it.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Disable names. Only have Race show up. (Male human)
(Female elf)

(Sexy, lithe, buxom halfling female.)

Anonymous Bosch

Quote from: Thomas_Not_very_wise;118898(Sexy, lithe, buxom halfling female.)
Cue the hordes of horny rangers with their ears to the ground.

AKMatt

Perhaps if it was added as a player tool where you click on somebody to begin tracking them, it would make more sense.  You start following somebody out from the Ziggurat, and because you already know that set of footprints, you are able to follow it (their name will show up on your "tracking list").