XPs: other ways to earn them

Started by Letsplayforfun, September 27, 2008, 07:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsplayforfun

How about mages earn a little xp when they successfully scribe a scroll, and rogues when they disarm traps or unlock doors? Rangers and druid when they successfully AE a beasty... whatever else folks can think of.

I mean, apart from deliveries, the only other way to earn xps is killing things to be able to complete quests, or to have a dm notice you for some reason.

Lets play for gold and XP, too.

Snoteye

Goodness, no. Have you any idea how exploitable that would be?

Dr Dragon

Dms sometimes give xp when they see good RP

Jayde Moon

No no.  Not exploitable at all, promise!!! ;)

If you could somehow script it so the FIRST TIME you unlock a particular door or static trap, or the first time you AEd a particular kind of animal then it might not be exploitable, but I don't know if that's feasible or worthwhile to implement and maintain continuity over what doors you've pick locked and what animals you've already AEd over the various server resets.

Snoteye

While I think it's theoretically possible, thankfully, in practice, theory and practice are not the same. ;)

Goblin Butcher

Bah learn ghostly visage by stabbing beetles like the rest of em punk.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

There should be other ways of earning Levels and XP. I, for one, believe that mages should study for a good period of time before being able to successfully go on to the next level.

Just me.

Yalta

Whilst i have great sympathy for this idea and would love to see things like it happen as Goblin Butcher says the only way you will get a decent amount of xp is killing stuff (NPC's on static quests and PC's in PVP).

Cruzel

It is possible to do (both persistant) and not. When Disarmed or unlocked, check for a value of the tag of the door (or trap). If the value stored on the PC is true (They have already unlocked or disabled this trap this reset/forever if persistant) then they will not get XP. If they do not have the value, it awards a small amount (20 Xp or so?) and sets the value.

This could be done with like, (probably) one generic script, and customisable to  fit only doors or traps the DM's wish it to.

Downsides;
 It would just be tedious to add the script to the events of ALL the relevant doors/traps.  

Potential database clutter, if the system is persistant

Thomas_Not_very_wise

I've played Numerous Modules with this function

Possible it is

vawton

I like this idea too.

But, I've yet to find a doorlock that I can pick. True, I'm still low level, have only been on the server about a week, and have yet to travel very far from the Zig, but every door I've come to is either already unlocked or "requires a special key". Sorry if that's a bit off-thread.

But, anyway, it would be nice the get a bit of XP for learning a new spell off a scroll, or scribing a specific spell to a scroll the first time. Or maybe even for the first successful use of a Skill or Feat.

lovethesuit

XP works fine as it is now. There's no need to change it. Besides killing monsters, there's also scripted quests, DM quests, and XP from exploring new areas.

Jayde Moon

Can we script a reward for every emote our PCs make?  1xp per line :)

Letsplayforfun

I'm aware that this suggestion will likely never be implemented (and besides, there's more important work for DMs to do), but i'm bringing this out because EfU(A) is a server where doing something else than just smashing things is encouraged, but the 'rewarding' system is so that, well, whatever concept you want to play, you'll have to smash things or wait for - no - attract DM attention.

Now obviously, RP alone is rewarding (should be at least), but we are not playing theatre, we are playing rpg where lvl is the main way of assessing character success.

I'm a player who used to quest a lot (more than a lot) on EfU, and i thought well there's a change of module, how about i change my attitude and get  more involved. Thing is, you can chat all you want during a playing session, if you don't lvl up a little, you'll be stuck on the Ziggurat at nightfall, you'll make cool plots that'll just end abruptly because a higher lvl opponent just FDed you or whatever.

So i was wondering what other ways of having character lvling you might think of. If giving out scripted xps for some other reasons than monster killing is potentially exploitable (although spamming quests is just the same imo), then i'd love to hear suggestions from everyone on what else could be done.

Thomas mentioned making some kind of training compulsory for mages to earn their lvls. That's a start.

What else can you think of?

petey512

Generally I think that if your not going to be out and about questing, your probably going to be a councilor or other political figure.... which is cool if your weak because you should be really easy to assassinate, providing extra fun for would be assassins and the people sworn to protecting you!

However, since I don't think anyone's going to like that! I would suggest that whenever politicians do something big. (Perhaps form an alliance with a once hostile enemy of the town,) OR, if your a magic user, and reads instructions on how to summon a great archangel or something, that you should get a motherload of xp!

to further my point of what I said first.

You don't have to be above level 5 to become influential on EfU.
(Ex: My character Izzy had people who could get her items, in turn money, and in turn, Lower Real Estate! I really think that if sanctuary hadn't you know, been overun with wererats, she could have totally bought all of lower, eventually. She stayed level 3-4 most of the time.)
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "