Transcript of the Hziran Scribes of the Sublime Garden Election Debate

Started by little john, March 15, 2024, 04:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little john

QuoteWelcome
Horton Hogshire: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome!
Horton Hogshire: It is my great pleasure to welcome you to the Sandstone College, for this Scribes of the Sublime Garden Election Debate!
Horton Hogshire: I have spent a number of days collating questions from the dear people of Ephia's Well, many who have burning questions.
Horton Hogshire: However -
Horton Hogshire: I would suggest, considering the events of the day, that we take a moment of quiet reflection for both the violent attack of one dear Nadiri of Eagle's Mount, and the sad loss of another. Let us take a minute to remember them.

- Moment of Silence -

Horton Hogshire: We must remember in times like these, that we are all of Ephia's Well. Though we may each come from different lands, and places beyond -
Horton Hogshire: Here, we are bound together.

Horton Hogshire: I shall afford you each a chance to respond to each question. We shall begin first, with Legate Akna. I would ask that you consider your responses carefully, and answer as succinctly and clearly as you may.

Question 1 - Xon Dhoten
Horton Hogshire: Please, take the stand. I thought it appropriate that we begin with a question from the late Nadiri Xon.
Horton Hogshire: Nadiri Xon asks, "Should there be a limit to the number of terms a Legate can serve?"

Akna Ymir: Yes.
Akna Ymir: Our citadel must grow in more ways than wealth and power. We should not stagnate in who holds the reigns of the Assembly.
Akna Ymir: And there are many ways a citizen can contribute outside of the Legate seats. Two terms, perhaps three, is a reasonable limit of terms.
Akna Ymir: Something to avoid, to encourage against. Term limits should not be so restrictive that the pool of candidates is too reduced. But they should exist.
Akna Ymir: Thank you.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you, Legate.
Horton Hogshire: Marcellus, the same question now to you.

Marcellus Saenus: Good people of the Well, the question as it stands should have a simple answer, but it does not. The reasoning is thus, imposing a term limit seems logical, for it would indeed control any manner of stagnation, or perhaps even corruption, in the case of less able Legates. But, the opposite is also true.
Marcellus Saenus: There is no true way to become experienced or competent as a Legate, outside of actually acting as one.
Marcellus Saenus: Granted, one man cannot manage everything, for nobody can know everything.
Marcellus Saenus: But it takes time to learn *how* to manage such things. How to delegate, who to delegate, and so forth.
Marcellus Saenus: I do not think that is also the answer. The current system, while perhaps flawed, allows for Legates to be replaced within a fairly short time.
Marcellus Saenus: There is currently no real system in place that would stop a corrupt Legate from remaining on his seat.

Horton Hogshire: Ahem.

Marcellus Saenus: May I just add one more point?

Horton Hogshire: One more, sir.

Marcellus Saenus: Janissary Daoud often suggested that the one thing that should be done is lifting the Legate immunity.
Marcellus Saenus: Making it actually possible to prosecute them for crimes they committed during their term.
Marcellus Saenus: Thus allowing for Legates to be removed.

Horton Hogshire: Will you support that measure?

Jimmy  Janosch: Legate's aren't immune are they? Didn't the last one get trialed and executed?

Marcellus Saenus: That was an exceptional case, where Treason was considered.

Akna Ymir: They can be removed. It requires simply a Lieutenant to charge them, or their League to terminate them.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you, candidate Marcellus.
Marcellus Saenus: Thank you Horton.

Question 2 - Scribe Yasmin Hassan

Horton Hogshire: An excellent question! Are there any questions in the room for our Candidates, before I select another question from those submitted?
Horton Hogshire: Scribe Hassan. Please.

Yasmin Hassan: A very simple question.....How do both legates view allotments? Will we continue to see the same pattern of near even splits to members of the accord?

Horton Hogshire: I will offer the floor first to Marcellus now, for this question.

Marcellus Saenus: My history of Allotments is... well known for always having been brutally equal, but in time I do feel it may become necessary to adjust the Allotments. Mainly when certain events lead to... cost to the Well itself, its people...
Marcellus Saenus: I am not one to quickly judge an Accord for the actions of a single of its members, unless they acted on strict orders from their officers, or captains.
Marcellus Saenus: So, in my case, if there would be any adjustment to Allotments, it would be based on ongoing projects that need to be funded, by one of the Accord members.
Marcellus Saenus: Or indeed lowered, if their actions have impacted the Well in a negative manner.
Marcellus Saenus: That, would be my answer.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you, sir.
Horton Hogshire: Legate Akna, the floor is yours!

Akna Ymir: Look, I do not like even allotments. Most people do not. Or at least, most people say they do not. But when it comes down to it, they occur often for a reason.
Akna Ymir: We call it the Accord. It is such because it was founded as a compromise to prevent strife; a compromise necessary for us to make a home here. The motive to fund equally is powerful in this regard, even from the Accord itself as we have just seen.
Akna Ymir: Even when tensions are high, people can set them aside if it means they get what they need, regardless of who else does. So while in principle we would like to see it vary, even splits are going to occur at times.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you, candidates! And thank you Scribe Hassan for your question.

Question 3 - Recluta D.B Blackadder

Horton Hogshire: Now, I shall take a question from those submitted...
Horton Hogshire: This one comes from Recluta D.B, who is here with us today.
Horton Hogshire: Recluta D.B. asks, "How will *you*, as Legate, serve to expand the territories and domains of Ephia's Well?"
Horton Hogshire: The floor is yours, Legate Akna.

Akna Ymir: We can't just stay as we are. We seek to grow, and this is good. It is needed. There are throughout the near dunes, ruined towers and outposts. It is possible in time to reclaim these. Some of them can observe and secure the path to nearby resources. Of this I have spoken with local builders. Mark Miller for instance.
Akna Ymir: Before work in earnest begins on the District, it would be prudent to attempt a smaller scale construction of this sort; to expand our reach and security, and test our building capabilities. Discover flaws in our practices early, and address them before working on a grand scale.
Akna Ymir: These ruins, as a testing ground for expansion and labor, is one option for this.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you.

Marcellus Saenus: Well, I hope you are ready for a bell-long answer...
Horton Hogshire: Please, keep it as brief as you are able...
Marcellus Saenus: No promises...
Marcellus Saenus: First of all, we must be aware of the state of the Desert. The Storms, raiders, Melek, Orcs. Any claim we make we would have to hold.
Marcellus Saenus: Any fort or outpost we build, any village or settlement we may wish to make our own, will call for an investment of not just dinari, but also manpower.

Marcellus Saenus: But, let us answer the question perhaps.
Marcellus Saenus: What would I wish to do.

Horton Hogshire: Please.

Marcellus Saenus: Sergeant Lightdew asked me about creating an Outpost that would strengthen our borders. We did not discuss this in detail, but I feel such a thing may be necessary. We had situations where substantial enemy forces marched right to our walls, and we would not be alarmed of this until the very last moment.

Marcellus Saenus: As such, I would not seek expansion, I would seek to fortify what domain we already hold.
Marcellus Saenus: To keep our city better protected, and not think of looking outward until that is achieved... Which does not mean we shouldn't try to extend our hand, diplomatically, to those settlements that might need our protection. But any such decision would have to be a carefully made calculation.
Marcellus Saenus: That is all.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you!

Question 4 - Alejandro Benjazar

Horton Hogshire: Now -
Horton Hogshire: We have two questions here, from one 'Citizen Jim'. However, before we get to that, for no reason at all, I would divert to one of Alejandro's five submitted questions - a prudent one -
Horton Hogshire: Alejandro asks, "What, on your opinion, should be done about the current law of Election Interference?" he goes on, "Do you agree with it, or would you amend it?" and further, "Why?"

Akna Ymir: I will start if that is agreeable?
Horton Hogshire: Certainly.
Akna Ymir: Marcellus?
Marcellus Saenus: Go ahead.

Akna Ymir: Election reform is much needed. In the past, freshly arrived refugees have been chased down and rounded up by party agents. Ushered to the Polls to buy elections. In this context, did the law arise. The law is akin to the limitations the Leagues themselves chose to impliment internally regarding joining and signatures.

Akna Ymir: Now, seeing it in action, I am not happy with it and will amend it, but this requires consent of both seats, which I currently do not have until the election is over.

Akna Ymir: The limitation is too broad. After seeing its effect, I would want the raising of voices to be restricted only during the final voting period in Legate elections, so that parties cannot hound the polls and buy votes to adjust the totals.

Marcellus Saenus: To keep it as brief as possible. The problem in the past was indeed the purchase of votes and voters. Money should not have this much sway in a process where the people should choose their best or favored candidate.

Marcellus Saenus: Is this the best way? I truly did not have much time to study the matter, or whether, indeed, it was a problem at all. There were already a number of changes to make the elections less cumbersome. Such as, restricting how many times a League member can sign a petition.

Marcellus Saenus: Or when somebody can join a league.

Marcellus Saenus: As painful as it might appear, this could simply be a natural progression.

[Marcellus Saenus: Thank you.

Question 5 - Clover Harecrest

Horton Hogshire: We will divert quickly to a question from the audience. Clover, you had one for our Legates?
Horton Hogshire: And then -

Horton Hogshire: We will have the... personal questions... from 'Citizen Jim'...

Clover Harecrest: I think it was my second, or third day in town here, the Legates authorized the desecration of a corpse by the Astronomers of Q'tolip. The Janissaries don't seem to have done anything about any of the involved parties, despite it nearly causing a civil war.

Clover Harecrest: Should the Janissaries enforce the law, even on the Astronomers? Or should they continue as they have with impunity? If you're re-elected, would you push for some consequences to come of this?

Horton Hogshire: Thank you for your question, Clover. A tough one, but - we must ask the tough questions.
Horton Hogshire: Candidate Marcellus, the floor is yours.
Clover Harecrest: It's better than asking these people their favorite color, yeah.

Marcellus Saenus: Two matters, security of the Well and sanctity of those deceased. Many of you may be fairly recent arrivals but I have witnessed a few such studies of criminals. Often people suspected of Brooking.

Marcellus Saenus: As I understand it, the woman in question was suffering from some manner of illness, and the Astronomers deemed it necessary to study and understand it.

Clover Harecrest: That's a lie.

Ashley Scherwin: If a Priest, a Legate, a Magistrate, and two soldiers don't find it desecration, why is the word of a halfling who can't even convince the legion get to say be silent and hear your answer.

Marcellus Saenus: That she was suffering from an illness?

Clover Harecrest: The examination was carried out under a false pretense. I have it on credible authority that they cut open this woman's head just to see what her brain looked like.

Ashley Scherwin: You were not even in the well at the time..
Clover Harecrest: The Nadiri there helped carry it out, if you're wondering why she's so defensive.
Ashley Scherwin: Why doesn't the person who asked you to say that stand up?

Marcellus Saenus: The matter has been resolved, as far as I am concerned. Because if we are to speak of how the woman was treated after her death we would also have to address the matter of kidnapping of Nadiri by the Banda Rossa.

Clover Harecrest: So the Janissaries shouldn't enforce the law upon the Astronomers of Q'tolip. Got it.

Ashley Scherwin: You're a worm clover, and that's why the legion won't take you.

Clover Harecrest: I sure hope Akna has a better answer. Thanks, Marcellus.

Cosine Mevura: Credible authority? I don't know who your sources were, but in three parts: a forensic autopsy is a key investigative procedure, and it is certainly not "desecration."
Cosine Mevura: The woman was suspected of being infested with a contagious plague of undeath that grips and enslaves the mind of the victim.
Cosine Mevura: And finally--
Cosine Mevura: We were asked by the Janissaries to perform the procedure.

Clover Harecrest: Clarissant is my source, Apothar.
Ashley Scherwin: She wasn't there either.

Horton Hogshire: Legate Akna, your response!

Sister Selsi: I will provide some simple clarifying information to dispense with some of the lies in the room. You may ask the Lieutenants of the Legion to verify this information just as I have. You may also ask Zenithar Oro who admitted to this himself.
Sister Selsi: One: the Lieutenants openly said that this procedure was immensely unusual. They have never allowed the Astronomers to magically preserve and bottle brains and hearts before.
Sister Selsi: Two: this was at the request of the Astronomers. The procedure they were invited to perform was a standard inspection of the body- not -that.-
Sister Selsi: Three: the Tower admitted they only desired to do this because Imizael was once an Acolyte of the Sisterhood.

Cosine Mevura: We were invited to the Garrison and invited to conduct the autopsy in the first place under the auspice of the Fourth Legion.
Clover Harecrest: Can the Janissaries do that?

– Rigorous civic debate! –

Akna Ymir: May I answer?

Horton Hogshire: Please. I shan't drown out legitimate citizen debate, but - let us first allow the candidate a moment to answer.

Akna Ymir: I authorized the procedure in question on the grounds of a medical examination into a potential curse. I called a stop to it when I felt it had gotten out of hand, and decided it was best to end the ordeal, ordering the release of the remains. The Tower complied with this order and calamity was, mostly, averted. We are, again, called the Accord for a reason.

Clover Harecrest: So you also think that what happened here is okay? It's in the past?
Ashley Scherwin: Shut up Clover and let the Legate speak.
Clover Harecrest: Shut me up, bitch.

Horton Hogshire: Amazing.
Horton Hogshire: I mean -
Horton Hogshire: A moment of quiet, please...

– More rigorous civil discourse –

Akna Ymir: It was not a crime. It was an autopsy in a criminal investigation. The entire situation was a mess, however. It occurred under my authority, and I take responsibility for it.

Clover Harecrest: Desecration is a crime. An autopsy under a false pretense is desecration, yeah?
Ashley Scherwin: It seems you are deaf as well as illiterate.
Ashley Scherwin: You heard the Legate.

Jimmy  Janosch: At what point was it taken too far in your own words?

Akna Ymir: I came to believe the organ removal was not necessary to investigate the curse in question. The Tower disagreed, but complied with my orders.

Horton Hogshire: As much as I appreciate the complexity of the situation, could we press for a firm answer as to whether you intend to prosecute the Nadiri?
Cosine Mevura: She just said it was not a crime.

Clover Harecrest: A shame the Gold League couldn't put forth a candidate. At least they might not do blatant apologia for criminals in public.

Horton Hogshire: I am a great advocate for spirited debate amongst all peoples of Ephia's Well! But -
Horton Hogshire: I am also very tired, so if it please, let us move on.
Horton Hogshire: We will have some more personal questions. One for each Legate, provided by 'Citizen Jim'.

Question 6 - Citizen Jim (Personal Question for Marcellus)

Horton Hogshire: Marcellus, we will take your question first.
Horton Hogshire: This is insane.
Horton Hogshire: I mean -

Horton Hogshire: Candidate Marcellus, 'Citizen Jim' asks -
Horton Hogshire: "Why didn't you tell anyone at the Red Hill that they were marching into a falling meteor with a high risk of dying?"
Horton Hogshire: He's at the stand, let us listen to his answer.
Horton Hogshire: For this...
Horton Hogshire: .. question.

Marcellus Saenus: The question insinuates that the people marching to the battle were not aware of the meteorite's use, which is absolutely false. The entire Accord was aware that it would be used, and before the battle itself a decision was reached where the device used to bring down the meteor would have to be located.
Marcellus Saenus: The people knew of it, knew that we had to hold the Hill to make sure it was successfully used.
Marcellus Saenus: The Plan was primarily to protect the Refugees. The matter of the Cup, defeating the Sibilant were also important, but none of it mattered if the battle was lost.
Marcellus Saenus: Jimmy, may I ask you a question? A simple one.
Marcellus Saenus: If you had a single spell to defeat a mighty beast with, would you make it a point of honor to tell everybody of it, to plaster it upon every single wall, not considering that the Beast might learn of this spell and prepare against it?

Jimmy  Janosch: I wouldn't, but if I was running for Legate I wouldn't try to lie about it, and just say exactly that, the reason for why I didn't tell people at the time.
Jimmy  Janosch: Because if you can lie about it after the fact, what makes the People think you won't do it again?

Horton Hogshire: Marcellus, I will give you a chance to respond, succinctly. Then we will move on.
Marcellus Saenus: You are clearly a man who has never been forced to lead a nation to War. Who did not have to take into consideration the cost of failure. There was never any lie, what you are suggesting is that it was a tightly kept secret, it wasn't as tightly kept as you might believe.

Marcellus Saenus: Allow me to just add this final bit, to the matter...
Horton Hogshire: Please.
Marcellus Saenus: War is always a gamble. You can stack your odds, prepare yourself as best you can, but you will never guarantee victory. Even in smaller scale caravaneer work, you may drink every single potion, cast every single spell, feel invincible... only for your shieldarm to be impaled upon spears or blades.
Marcellus Saenus: That is all.

Question 7 - 'Citizen Jim' Personal Question for Legate Akna

Horton Hogshire: Now, the personal question for Legate Akna which is...
Horton Hogshire: Weirdly ... normal?

Horton Hogshire: Citizen Jim wishes to ask you, and slightly paraphrased, "Regarding the new District, how will the Leadership of the Well keep control over it and not turn it into a way to abuse the labour force?"
Horton Hogshire: He requests -
Horton Hogshire: Facts, not vague notions.

Akna Ymir: A labor union that will have the means, experience and know-how to represent the workers, bound in common interest to them.
Akna Ymir: Will they want to profit? Of course. But here is the harsh reality.
Akna Ymir: /Most/ people will be trying to profit off the Refugees.
Akna Ymir: The question I face is.
Akna Ymir: How do I set up the odds in their favor? How do I arrange the Well that they have interests also on their side?

Jimmy  Janosch: Don't give control of the district to outsiders.
Akna Ymir: They won't.

Akna Ymir: No such agreement exists. No such agreement will be signed. A business will open shop in the District. They were never going to own it.
Horton Hogshire: May I ask you to be clear in reference to the labour union - as there is currently only one active - can you confirm it will be the Glazier's Union that will lobby for the interests of the new District's workers?
Akna Ymir: Yes, that is public knowledge.
Akna Ymir: There is no other agency in the Well capable of doing it.
Akna Ymir: You either want that, or no Union at all. And a work force has the right to be represented in such a way.

Horton Hogshire: 'Citizen Jim'. Thank you for your questions.
Jimmy  Janosch: Thank you candidates!

Question 8 - Prelate Khalid - Personal Question for Legate Marcellus

Khalid al-Hayim: "This question is for Marcellus of Purple. In the last election, the League of Purple condemned what they defined as.. monochromatic government, namely, one League having full control of the Pyramid."

Marcellus Saenus: This will be my personal view. Not my League's as a whole, after all, the candidates answer here.
Marcellus Saenus: I would much prefer there to be a balance. For each League to have its say in the government. But we do not live in an ideal world.
Marcellus Saenus: As it stands, I would wish to make sure that the government, the Well, finds its stability once more. For me to lay the foundations for the next Legates who will come.
Marcellus Saenus: Two months ago I left the Well in what I consider a strong position, overall.

Horton Hogshire: For clarity, candidate Marcellus - is your personal view that you disagree with your League's previous position in regards to the monochromatic Pyramid?

Marcellus Saenus: I do not agree with the stance of Monochromaticity. But, the question will always be, what do the people wish, what do the people want, and who is the right candidate.
Marcellus Saenus: Theoretically, the candidates of each League should have differing views.
Marcellus Saenus: Where... if they sit as Legates there are checks and balances...
Marcellus Saenus: A balance.

Question 9 - Balladeer Caddick

Horton Hogshire: Let us take a question from my box... this one comes from a most generous host, Balladeer Caddick! This is for both candidates.
Horton Hogshire: Balladeer Caddick asks, "To what extent shall you look towards cleansing the ashen sands, irrigation of the desert and farmlands, and other matters essential to our needs?"

Horton Hogshire: Legate Akna, if you please.

Akna Ymir: We will need space, walled and Shaded, to raise our own crops successfully. So this, a thing for the future. But it can be done. This is a miracle not beyond the means of our Well Waters. Candidates spoke of the Water Tribute to Baz'eel for a long time; our need to reduce it, but never did any change in this arise.
Akna Ymir: Barely was it even attempted I discovered.
Akna Ymir: In one talk with Princess Hasheema and I, this occurred. This additional supply is available now for these needs. We do not yet have the means to safely do it for the reasons stated, but it can be so from this success.

Akna Ymir: In the meantime, the additional waters give us other means to increase our food supply.
Akna Ymir: There are standing offers from grain suppliers to increase our shipments in trade. This could be done until we secure the means to raise our own crops. The Waters expand greatly our ability here to sustain ourselves, with a portion put to that purpose.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you.

Marcellus Saenus: Unsurprisingly, this was a matter that I discussed with a number of people. We would need the Shade to have any sort of farmland, safe from the Storm. But, that in itself is not a problem, the problem is, could we even produce enough food, in these conditions, to justify the cost in water and other materials?
Marcellus Saenus: We lack the soil, what water we do have is precious.
Marcellus Saenus: And Alkab can produce all the grain the world needs, at a price of course.
Marcellus Saenus: As such, it is not a priority to myself. We must use what we have, and use it as best we can.

Question 10 - Nadiri Ashley

Horton Hogshire: Nadiri Ashley asks, perhaps entirely on brand for the Palatial Physician, "When should a Legate be removed from office, due to criminal acts, health or incompetence?" I think we have answered some of this in prior responses - so I shall ask the Candidates to respond -
Horton Hogshire: Regarding health, and incompetence.

Akna Ymir: Removing a Legate for criminal acts is already answered; a Legion Lieutenant may raise capital charges against a sitting Legate. That Legate's League may terminate their office.
Akna Ymir: For health and incompetence, I believe that must still rest with the League, where the check is already built.
Akna Ymir: This power has been used once. We have proven it works. It is up to the Leagues to prove they are worth holding that authority. If they fail, perhaps it should be considered. Reform is a constant need.

Horton Hogshire: Thank you!
Horton Hogshire: Candidate Marcellus, please.

Marcellus Saenus: To put it plainly, incompetence is a highly subjective matter, and I suppose it all depends on the extent of the incident. The League should be able to intervene, if needed, but if the incompetence is criminal then perhaps, like Akna mentioned, intervention by the Janissaries may be necessary.
Marcellus Saenus: Health on the other hand... This is the reason we have Prelates in place. If a Legate becomes too ill to continue his work, or goes missing the Prelate will take over responsibilities, until the Legate can recover, if he recovers.
Marcellus Saenus: But forcing a Legate to step down due to health concerns... I suppose there is no authority that could do that, and it would be hard to tell who *could* judge such a thing.

– Closing ceremony, applause –